Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cut in sidewall tire repair

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 07:01 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

I ordered online a pair of Pasela 27 x 1 1/4 tires about a month ago. Tires looked fine upon delivery. I mounted them on rims and pumped the tires up. I was working my way around one if the tires getting it seated when I saw a cut in the sidewall.

Its about a 1/2" cut. Called and emailed the well known seller and they refuse to do anything. I even said I'd forget about replacement and buy more tires if they would pay for the shipping. They werent interested.
So whats a way to fix the tire. Duct tape? Canvas boot? Super glue? Gorilla glue and fibertape? Any ideas appreciated.
Old 05-01-22, 07:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I learned from experience not to consider the Pasela by any means a rugged tire. I certainly don't commute with them, and limit their usage in my fleet to pleasure bikes with 27" rims.
I wouldn't get so attached to one with a split sidewall, to try to repair it. In the bin with it.

Last edited by old's'cool; 05-02-22 at 08:13 PM. Reason: one
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 05-01-22, 07:40 PM
big chainring 

I'm thinking a patch with fiberglass mesh and super glue will do the trick.
Old 05-01-22, 07:43 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I agree in the bin. It's one of the last things you want failing. Even if it's safe it's just not pleasant having that worry in the back of your mind.

That being said you can cut a piece of sidewall off another tire and glue it on the inside, with a largish margin around the cut. Don't use superglue, its too brittle.
Likes For Soody:
Old 05-01-22, 07:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
Don't use superglue, its too brittle.
Agreed. Fish glue is nice and pliable.

Realistically, it should be discarded.
Likes For clubman:
Old 05-01-22, 07:50 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
just my $0.0125... i've patched an ugly cut into a sidewall using flexible glue and two layers of the satin-like lining material (the kind you'd find lining a sportcoat etc.), pressed in place overnight. it's been holding up fine for over a year now. I would have done this with tyvek had i any handy at the time - suspect that would handle higher pressures than the ~65 psi the suit lining is dealing with.
Likes For niliraga:
Old 05-01-22, 11:00 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
The tire with broken cords is now trash. If you try to patch the inside. patch the outside, too. Symmetry is a good thing for repairs like that.

The tire with delaminated and cracked rubber but intact unbroken cords could be saved. Cover the cords with liquid latex to protect them from the elements and smog so they don't embrittle and break.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 05-01-22, 11:57 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I learned from experience not to consider the Pasela by any means a rugged tire.
They work great for me. They're an excellent value.

I've only had two tears like this on Paselas, and consider one of them my fault for taking a turn way too sharp on a gravelly road.
Old 05-02-22, 10:00 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve used liqui-sole or Shoe Goo to glue patches of either nylon cloth or non-woven to fix sidewall cuts. They’ve lasted for the remaining natural life of the tire so far. I make sure to soak the patches through to create a kind of laminate.
Likes For dabac:
Old 05-03-22, 04:45 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Regarding how rugged Paselas are, I don't think it matters in this case. Seems big chainring hasn't ridden the tire in question. It looks to me like it might have been damaged in shipment from distributor to retailer by someone misusing a box cutter. Too bad the seller won't replace it.

If it was for a bike of mine I'd use it. Boot it with a chunk of Tyvek and some barge cement. If I was going to move the bike on, then I'd toss it.

I've had plenty of Paselas and Col de la Vie tires from Panaracer. They are sturdy. I've run Col de la Vie tires on my Schwinn Speedster since converting it to 650A. The bike lives in my garage and goes from sub-zero winters to 100°F summers. I've ridden them until their sidewall casings began to break down, which takes a while. I've even stretched their life a bit more with liquid latex when I didn't have a replacement ready to install. Yes, I can be a CSOB...
Old 05-03-22, 05:58 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
It looks to me like a defect in the sidewall. I would try to get a refund or replacement from the seller.

FWIW, I love my Paselas

Old 05-03-22, 06:31 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Since the seller won’t play nice I’d say contact Panaracer directly and see if they’d replace it. That’s either an egregious manufacturing defect, or somewhere along the way that sidewall was nicked with a box cutter.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 05-03-22, 07:16 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
To me it looks cut, then spread a bit when inflated. I would not ride it, just mark it up as a loss. I have used shoe goop for a lot of things, and that is what I would do If I was going to try to repair it. From the picture, the sidewall looks too compromised for me.
Old 05-03-22, 08:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
As much as I enjoy squeezing life out of questionable tires, I don't think this one should be ridden, except perhaps on a trainer. That's a pretty significant cut across the "grain" of the tire casing.

I think a certain amount of Buddhist non-attachment is necessary when riding Panaracers or any other high-performance tires with thin, fragile sidewalls. You have to accept that their life will generally be shorter, and sometimes over in an instant when they get an injury like this. And that's after paying a lot more for the privilege in some cases!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-03-22, 09:11 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
In the short term I would use one of the repair methods mentioned and keep an eye on it when riding. Then I'd order a new one. I wouldn't use this one on the front btw.

Why wouldn't the retailer allow a return?
Old 05-03-22, 09:12 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
It looks to me like a defect in the sidewall. I would try to get a refund or replacement from the seller.
In what way does that look like a "defect?" As in "manufacturing defect?" Or, "That sidewall is now defective?" 'Cause the latter is definitely true.

It's quite obviously not a manufacturer's defect.
Old 05-03-22, 11:40 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I've used shoe goo to glue in a thin leather boot to repair a cut almost that big in the tread & casing of an almost new Pasela when I ran over a car key and it somehow went straight though the tire. I clamped it with a deep socket on the inside to help maintain the shape of the tire, wrapping it with an old latex tube for clamping pressure. Also used shoe goo to fill the cut on the outside. It's holding up good. I don't think I'd use it on the front, though.
Old 05-03-22, 11:45 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
That’s either an egregious manufacturing defect, or somewhere along the way that sidewall was nicked with a box cutter.
I vote for a box cutter. That is a very clean slice
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-03-22, 02:09 PM
big chainring 

Finally the seller responded. Wants the tire returned, they pay shipping, and they will refund money for tire. And now they say they have no more stock of this tire which I think is bunk. They also mentioned, as if they are doing me a huge favor, returns are to be made 24 hrs upon receiving tire or part. Any item mounted or installed is not returnable. Screw them. (Carson City Bikes).
I'm going to go for a try at repairing. I think I'll boot it with fabric and shoo-goo or other flexible glue. I made a sidewall repair on a sew-uo years ago and it held.
Likes For big chainring: