Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2020 SuperSix Evo Seatpost slipping

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-19-22, 03:45 PM
Ranger Rick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, so I have had the bike for a year or so. Since day1 the seat post has been slipping.
I have lathered it with carbon past which seems to do the trick untill I make any adjustment to it. Once I adjust it, the seat post just slipped again. It's tightened to the max - 6nm
No issues with creaks, just slipping. I'm 6 foot 3 + 93kg and ride a 60.
anyone else have this problem? What did you do.
​​​​
Old 05-19-22, 05:37 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Seat post collars are not all same great quality, Maybe try a different seat post collar?
Old 05-19-22, 05:57 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I would pester the shop where you got it, call Cannondale as well and when nothing worked for me a little bit of valve grinding compound added to the carbon paste.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 05-19-22, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,951 Times in 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I would pester the shop where you got it, call Cannondale as well and when nothing worked for me a little bit of valve grinding compound added to the carbon paste.
I wouldn't pester anyone, I would go in and enquire and have them take a look but no need to pester anyone unless they are completely unwilling to help.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-20-22, 07:54 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger Rick
Hey, so I have had the bike for a year or so. Since day1 the seat post has been slipping.
I have lathered it with carbon past which seems to do the trick until I make any adjustment to it. Once I adjust it, the seat post just slipped again. It's tightened to the max - 6nm
No issues with creaks, just slipping. I'm 6 foot 3 + 93kg and ride a 60.
anyone else have this problem? What did you do.
​​​​
Not trying to be snarky, but it seems like the solution is to stop making adjustments to it after you've inserted it?
Old 05-20-22, 08:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
If this is something that began soon after you bought the bike, I will have been pestering the shop too. Actually it wouldn't be pestering. Most shops will be happy to solve such issues for anyone buying a new bike from them. And if you bought in the mid to upper tier range of that bike model they'll go out of their way to please you.

Usually when things slip, I tighten them a little tighter. Not much, just a little. Maybe your torque wrench isn't correct. But seeing that warranty and possibly the good graces of your LBS still might be in play, don't do something that might void your warranty.
Old 05-20-22, 08:33 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If this is something that began soon after you bought the bike, I will have been pestering the shop too. Actually it wouldn't be pestering. Most shops will be happy to solve such issues for anyone buying a new bike from them. And if you bought in the mid to upper tier range of that bike model they'll go out of their way to please you.

Usually when things slip, I tighten them a little tighter. Not much, just a little. Maybe your torque wrench isn't correct. But seeing that warranty and possibly the good graces of your LBS still might be in play, don't do something that might void your warranty.
Agree with all of this. Asking a bike shop to troubleshoot a problem with a bike isn't pestering, it's business. If a bike shop is annoyed with customers who come in with problems they don't know how to solve, they need to re-think their business practices.

It's worth noting that the OP said this is a 2020 MY bike that they've had for a year, so it's possible that the bike was bought used/online and not from a local shop. Regardless, any Cannondale dealer should be more than willing to help me solve a problem like this, but the OP should assume they're paying the shop for labor costs unless told otherwise.
Old 05-23-22, 01:52 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Bring it back to the shop and see if the seat post or if the frame can be warrantied. It's probably just a bad seat post but maybe the seat post tube's tolerance is off. In the meantime I would try and make a shim out of a really thin piece of plastic or carboard.
Old 05-26-22, 12:25 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
Bring it back to the shop and see if the seat post or if the frame can be warrantied. It's probably just a bad seat post but maybe the seat post tube's tolerance is off. In the meantime I would try and make a shim out of a really thin piece of plastic or carboard.
Strip of aluminum from a soda can
Old 08-28-23, 09:59 AM
Zestyride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed this!

Had this problem for ages, got solution, thought I’d share as I’m super happy about it. 8nm torque is fine. Soap and dry the seat post, clean out the seat tube with paper towel. Assuming the clamp screw moves freely - if not, lubricate.

Cover full depth of post in carbon assembly paste (as in every part that will be inserted into seat tube). Insert, tighten to 5/6 nm. Wiggle post back and forth. Tighten to 8. Wiggle firmly and push down, pull up. Retighten to 8nm.

If this fails I’d loctite the screw, but the above fixed the problem after months.