Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Paris and French thinking about equality

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 12:30 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

When Paris moved to remove auto parking and provide safer roads for bicyclists, part of the rationale was their notion of class equality which dates back to the French Revolution. As one person stated:

“The redistribution of public space is a policy of social redistribution,” he told me in 2021. “Fifty percent of public space is occupied by private cars, which are used mostly by the richest, and mostly by men, because it’s mostly men who drive, and so in total, the richest men are using half the public space. So if we give the space to walking, biking, and public transit, you give back public space to the categories of people who today are deprived.”

More than half the land in American cities is devoted to the movement and parking and storage of motor vehicles. That is in effect a massive subsidy for motorists that everyone pays for whether they own or drive a car. It also is the key factor responsible for bicycle hazards that discourage the use of bicycles in cities.

In the past year corporations launched campaigns against electric street cars in 8 U.S. cities. The oil companies want to maximize their profits regardless of the cost to the environment, world peace, and the health of people.
Old 04-09-23, 12:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Another anti-motorist, anti-oil companies, class equality political rant; recommend that it be combined with the first similar rant thread that mentioned Paris which was moved to the P&R list.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-09-23 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 04-09-23, 01:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another anti-motorist, anti-oil companies, class equality political rant; recommend that it be combined with the first similar rant thread that mentioned Paris which was moved to the P&R list.
Agree, completely.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-09-23, 02:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
The reactions are revealing.
Old 04-09-23, 02:25 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The reactions are revealing.
Care to elaborate? Do you have a special insight?
Old 04-09-23, 03:18 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
Starting threads about and posting political comments are against forum rules. These are reserved solely for the P&R forum. Except for P&R, Bike Forums is about cycling. Members come here for cycling education, advice, enjoyment and entertainment. If you want to discuss political issues, either go someplace else or request permission to join P&R. Otherwise please stop.

Thread closed.
Likes For StanSeven: