Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Lost it, found it

Old 01-18-23, 10:23 PM
MikePFlyFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Lost it, found it

Hey there folks, Clydesdale newbie here saying hi. Lost 50 pounds 7-8 years ago and over the last few years managed to find it all again. As you can imagine, I'm not thrilled about it especially since the weight loss tactic that worked in my early 50s doesn't seem to be working so well now. My wife and I can't wait for the weather to turn so we can get on our bikes and ride. Funny how "riding a bike" is something to think about now vs our youth where there was never a thought, you just jumped on it and rode...wherever.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and appreciate the info you all offer here.
Old 06-03-23, 10:46 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Hi MikePFlyFish. I've lost weight a couple of times only to regain it several years later. 70 now and getting the weight off is downright miserable. Welcome to this forum.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 06-04-23, 09:50 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Welcome. I don’t have any words of wisdom for losing weight, riding a bike didn’t help there but it did take inches of the waistline. And it is great for my health regardless of weight loss.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 07-27-23, 10:12 AM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
At the suggestion of a physician, I read a book. The book..
The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung

Here is my two-minute condensed version.
It's not about calories or fat or how much you eat or how much exercise you get.
It's about Insulin.

https://www.booksfree.org/the-obesit...free-download/

fat biker
Old 09-01-23, 09:09 AM
pwert

Bikes: Trek 720, Lemond, Technium, Bianchi, Nishiki, Specialized Hard Rock(3), Trek 7000, Giant Sedona, Gary Fisher Momba, Schwinn Circut, Voyager+8, Panasonic, Mongoose 850, Fila, 20" Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
My grandfather was a banker (300#) . His only exercise was golf. He died at 75 (HA on the course). My father was a doctor (250#). His doc told him to plan to loose weight or plan his funeral. He started walking, jogging, running, swimming, cycling, marathons, triathlons. He bought himself 20 years and died at 89 @ about 130# after winning the up and down Pikes Peak Run at 80. I was never fat but at 210 I could see where I was headed. I went in for a physical and the doc told me "with a bad knee 2 hernias and High BP you're in better shape than I." He died shortly after. I can't run. I'm better at going downhill. My physique has fallen down to where my abbs used to be. Cycling is the perfect remedy. Consistency is the key. I do some every day. Mostly just around the neighborhood. Steel bike. Kevlar tires. I just weighed in at 169.9. Haven't been that light since Jr. High. People ask me about my health. I thank them and say I'm in the best shape of my life at 71. I try to avoid salt and seconds. One scoop of ice cream and/or 2 cookies. Eat fish as much as possible.
Old 09-01-23, 12:50 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I think that all of each person's lost weight is accumulated in a special account only to be returned with interest at a time of nature's choosing. Further, those same 10 or 20 pounds I keep losing and reigning are added to the register so 3 cycles of ten-pound loss/gain are returned as 35 pounds of fat .