Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another "weird listing on CL" thread - but please coach me here

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-13-20, 03:38 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts

I live near Albuquerque. A guy has listed a bike on CL, says he's in a town a few hours away. Listing price has been dropping over the past six weeks; is now at the low end of what I'd consider 'realistic' for the region. He does sound like he knows bikes in the listing. Supporting the legit-ad theory, his first price was a bit too high; now it's a bit too low. And Albuquerque is not an active resale market, to put it kindly.

Here's the weird part - there's an obvious 'halfway' town where we could meet, and when I suggest it, he keeps suggesting towns that are tiny, and 10-15 minutes closer to where he is. He'd still be driving over an hour - it's the difference between 75 and 90 minutes.

My mind goes to the following: is there a county line here, and an ankle bracelet involved? I know people who are court-ordered around here, and they take it seriously. Just seems weird.

Thoughts? Should I call the police in the 'halfway' town, and ask if they have a report of a stolen bike? This bike would solve some very pressing practical problems for me right now.
Old 12-13-20, 04:33 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Maybe suggest he meet you at the police dept., during working hours, in one of those small towns. If he doesn't want to do this, maybe pass on the bike.
Old 12-13-20, 04:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If you have doubts, you should pass. I doubt that bike is that worth it. There are some holy grail bikes in the world but sometimes it just isn't worth a big risk over a bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-13-20, 04:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You can think up perfectly non-shady reasons too, that are none of your beeswax, like he has someone to take care of and doesn’t want to leave them for an hour. Or he doesn’t want to pay $7/hr x four kids at the drop in daycare. Or maybe the food isn’t as good at the cafe in your halfway point.

I don’t know what value bike you are looking at but it would seem to me easier to just keep driving the rest of the way to his burg. The police station thing is fine.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-13-20, 05:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You can think up perfectly non-shady reasons too, that are none of your beeswax.
Those are no fun though! I want to hear the guy has an artisan meth dealer in the small town or there is a glory hole in the bathroom at the local café or maybe he wants to show you that place he got drunk one time and swears he saw Elvis 18 years ago.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-13-20, 06:30 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
CL purchase

I ask for a photo of the Serial Number and run it through the Stolen Bike Registry websites.
I also feel a lot better if I make a CL purchase at the sellers home, even if it means driving a bit more.

Barry

These are the two I use...
www.bikeindex.com
www.project529.com
Old 12-13-20, 06:41 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Good grief.
Old 12-13-20, 07:21 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Those are no fun though! I want to hear the guy has an artisan meth dealer in the small town or there is a glory hole in the bathroom at the local café or maybe he wants to show you that place he got drunk one time and swears he saw Elvis 18 years ago.
Wrong state. In New Mexico it would be green aliens, not Elvis.
Old 12-13-20, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Wrong state. In New Mexico it would be green aliens, not Elvis.
Hey he could have found both. You don't know him! Also why do the aliens have to be green? Gray aliens matter too!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-13-20, 08:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Hey he could have found both. You don't know him! Also why do the aliens have to be green? Gray aliens matter too!
Elvis tends to hang out in Vegas. Last time I was there I saw him at least 30 or 40 times a day.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-13-20, 08:46 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Elvis tends to hang out in Vegas. Last time I was there I saw him at least 30 or 40 times a day.
You're so gullible. The most real Elvis sightings you saw was only two or three, max.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 12-14-20, 05:54 AM
Danhedonia

No one gives a poo about Elvis here, thank God. And Aliens aren't very current. But crime in small towns in the Rio Grande valley ain't no joke.

I like the idea of agreeing to meet at a police station of his choosing ... that ought to sort out safety.

Really not into getting mugged in the middle of windswept nowhere.
Old 12-14-20, 06:51 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
I can think of one or more Police stations in the valley that would not be on my chosen safe list.
Old 12-14-20, 07:48 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Police stations are a good place to do CL transactions in general. The seller is probably just as nervous about some potential buyer insisting that they meet in a town that is 15 minutes further away.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-14-20, 08:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Police stations are a good place to do CL transactions in general. The seller is probably just as nervous about some potential buyer insisting that they meet in a town that is 15 minutes further away.
Meet them at their home .... it is an unrelated third party's home chosen for a remote location home, so you drive up with a wad of cash, get robbed, and when the cops show up .... The owner says, "Never heard of that guy, never saw this guy, sorry officer, no idea about any robbery."

Invite them to your home? Sure .... make a habit of that .....

I sometimes offer private qigong lessons ... it is always "Let's meet at the library by the park" or something. No strangers need to know where I live .... and equally, nobody is going to comfortably visit the home of someone as strange as I am.

But seriously ... if you think there is something shady, and you aren't willing to ask the guy ... what's up with that? What do you say when the bike turns out to be stolen? What do you say when the owner tracks it down and confronts you, and thinks You are the thief?

If I had any qualms .... ASK. What the actual F? Ask the guy why he won't meet at a reasonable place. Protect yourself. Or .... are you the sort of person who wants an expensive bike for a cheap price so much, you are willing to overlook the fact that you think it is stolen?

I figure I need to model the right behavior. If one of my bikes got heisted, I would want other cyclists to Not buy it .... if for no other reason, so that I wouldn't drive by some guy on the road on what I recognize to be My bike. I would want other cyclists to realize that only shady people do shady things .... so that is how I behave.

You ... well, go ahead, take your chances. if you end up getting kidnapped and sacrificed in some satanic ritual .... can I have your bike?

Old 12-14-20, 06:05 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You ... well, go ahead, take your chances. if you end up getting kidnapped and sacrificed in some satanic ritual .... can I have your bike?
You need to ask his next of kin that one.

I've had "meet me half way" hook ups where the guy showed up and decided he didn't want what he saw. Wasn't much I could do except eat the 2 hours of driving and bridge tolls. The seller is the one taking all the risks, I think it is nice of him to even go 1/4 way there.

Last several CL transactions I have done have all been at the home of the seller, mine included. Can't say I've every worried about getting jacked.
Old 12-16-20, 12:34 AM
Danhedonia

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You need to ask his next of kin that one.

I've had "meet me half way" hook ups where the guy showed up and decided he didn't want what he saw. Wasn't much I could do except eat the 2 hours of driving and bridge tolls. The seller is the one taking all the risks, I think it is nice of him to even go 1/4 way there.

Last several CL transactions I have done have all been at the home of the seller, mine included. Can't say I've every worried about getting jacked.
The part that weirded me out was he was willing to go 80 minutes but not 90. And the difference is between "windswept and no one around for miles" and "sizable town." It's like someone asking you to meet them on the outskirts.

I ghosted on the email chain - too bad of a vibe, and trouble I don't need.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 12-16-20, 09:12 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
The part that weirded me out was he was willing to go 80 minutes but not 90. And the difference is between "windswept and no one around for miles" and "sizable town." It's like someone asking you to meet them on the outskirts.

I ghosted on the email chain - too bad of a vibe, and trouble I don't need.
Didn't realize the difference was so slight. I just spent the better part of the last month working in Las Cruces, windswept and open is an understatement. No chance of someone sneaking up on you at least.

Oh well, there will be other bikes.
Old 12-16-20, 09:16 AM
Danhedonia

Yeah, we're talking San Antonio vs. Socorro.

Sorry your time was in Cruces; it can be OK but the northern part of the state is amazing. What brought you here?
Old 12-16-20, 09:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Yeah don't go to Socorro, everyone there has explosives
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-16-20, 03:31 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Yeah, we're talking San Antonio vs. Socorro.

Sorry your time was in Cruces; it can be OK but the northern part of the state is amazing. What brought you here?
White Sands missile range.

That whole area is very pretty. We worked non-stop so didn't see much outside of a test facility and a Walmart. Sunsets were amazing, the parachute flares from Ft Bliss were pretty cool at night as well.

I'm binge watching Breaking Bad right now. Lots of scenery in that series, LOL.
Old 12-16-20, 03:50 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yeah don't go to Socorro, everyone there has explosives
I took the incident response to terrorist bombings class there maybe 15 or so year ago. Interesting area.
Old 12-18-20, 12:21 PM
Danhedonia

Alamagordo is a rough town. But the museum there is a treasure, and indeed there are some natural amazements. Personal preference is for montane / high desert so naturally I prefer the north, but I've had fun in the middle-south. It's the Permian Basin (Artesia and points southeast) that gets me queasy.

Either way, I'm not meeting a guy by the side of a state highway in San Antonio for a CL transaction when he won't drive another 10-15 minutes into the comparative safety of Socorro.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 12-18-20, 04:41 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I ask for a photo of the Serial Number and run it through the Stolen Bike Registry websites.
I also feel a lot better if I make a CL purchase at the sellers home, even if it means driving a bit more.

Barry

These are the two I use...
www.bikeindex.com
www.project529.com
Good idea with getting the serial number and running it, however I would never let a CL buyer anywhere near my house. Local police station parking lot is great for that!
Tim
Old 12-18-20, 05:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Good idea with getting the serial number and running it, however I would never let a CL buyer anywhere near my house. Local police station parking lot is great for that!
Tim
Tim,
I'm not talking a $50 jalopy.

I just purchased a $3k Cervelo on the guys front lawn.
I had no expectation of being invited in for coffee!

I’m not buying one of those in a parking lot.

Funny thing.... guy would not accept my wife as collateral on the test ride. He came with me.
I guess with my mask on I just don’t look as trustworthy.

Barry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.