Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Just another day on PEI

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Just another day on PEI

Old 05-09-22, 11:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Somebody seriously asked me what they were supposed to do if they couldn't pass a bike on the road, and my answer was that the law requires them to slow down until they can safely pass. Honestly, her response was :But the cars behind will honk at me!" They didn't have an answer to my response which was "And?"

It's amazing how afraid people are of getting honked at.
Yup... I go through that same question and answer with my wife all too often... I then ask her... "who is driving... her or the car behind her." She still does not like the honking. (which BTW is rare... more often just tailgating from some idiot)

I think that part of this comes from folks being a passive driver... sitting on their rolling couch and not really participating in what is really happening on the road around them. And yet, all too often we also hear "but I like driving..." If that really is the case, then participate. Actually change speeds, lanes, and engage with the ebb and flow of traffic... Too much to ask for many drivers.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-09-22, 01:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Somebody seriously asked me what they were supposed to do if they couldn't pass a bike on the road, and my answer was that the law requires them to slow down until they can safely pass. Honestly, her response was :But the cars behind will honk at me!" They didn't have an answer to my response which was "And?"

It's amazing how afraid people are of getting honked at.
Yet, those same driver's have no care that they rolled stopped the red light/stop sign while blabbing over the BT device.
Old 05-09-22, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Hey, I use a horn too. Makes me feel better.
I use my middle finger. That makes me fell better too. However once after giving a digitus indignatus, a really big guy with Texas plates stopped and between the two of us acting very belligerent to each other, I'm very glad to have not had to duke it out. I will have lost that fight!

I've gotten better at keeping my finger put away since that incident! <grin>
Old 05-09-22, 01:53 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Iride01
I use my middle finger. That makes me fell better too. However once after giving a digitus indignatus, a really big guy with Texas plates stopped and between the two of us acting very belligerent to each other, I'm very glad to have not had to duke it out. I will have lost that fight!

I stopped with the middle finger decades ago... never wanted to be confronted with that rolling weapon that some motorists might decide to use. "Oh, I didn't seem him officer..."
Old 05-09-22, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Unfortunately, my finger rising is now a Pavlovian response to the sound of a horn. My finger is up before I even realize it. I've stayed out of physical trouble only because I bluff a lot better than I can fight. If you can manage a good insane look, yelling "stay in your damn car" works pretty good. Only crazy people want to fight with a crazy person, and they think you're half-nuts just by virtue of being on a bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-09-22, 02:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Unfortunately, my finger rising is now a Pavlovian response to the sound of a horn. My finger is up before I even realize it. I've stayed out of physical trouble only because I bluff a lot better than I can fight. If you can manage a good insane look, yelling "stay in your damn car" works pretty good. Only crazy people want to fight with a crazy person, and they think you're half-nuts just by virtue of being on a bike.
Exactly the same with me, an almost Pavlovian response. And honking was the reason for my confrontation with the really big dude from Texas.

A beep I might can tolerate as that may be misguided attempts to just let me know they are there. But laying on the horn the whole time one passes can only be thought of as they don't like me being on the road.
Old 05-10-22, 03:22 PM
genec
genec

Turn it into a wave... wave like they are old friends you haven't seen in a long time... really confuses the *holes.

Yeah, difficult to not respond... just open your whole hand and wave.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-11-22, 10:00 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I went for another 20km ride yesterday.

On the way into town a car plays chicken with an on-coming propane truck

then on the way home a school bus forces on-coming traffic onto their shoulder and is in their lane. Not sure he gave me a meter of space either...

Last edited by Bearhawker; 05-11-22 at 02:52 PM. Reason: more details
Old 05-11-22, 10:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yeah, you need to keep pestering your local authorities and law enforcement about that. Maybe even send a video to the school board and whomever provides the school bus service.

Might get something done, might not. They might just think you a troublesome nutcase. But don't let that stop you. Try to find others there locally having the same experiences and get them to help for the cause too. Or at least document their cases so if anything ever happens to you, then your attorney will have plenty of ammunition that the local government knew but didn't do anything.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-22, 02:58 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

That's absolutely the route I take. *Nothing* will get done without the documenting/pestering.

I let nothing stop me I ride amongst the bad drivers knowing they are there waiting to pounce at the worst possible time. And the crazy part is that there has been a *significant* improvement in the last couple of years. When I started commuting by bike in 2011/2012 it was insane - which is what prompted me to get a camera.

My video is already being used in a civil suit against the owner of the dog that took me out & caused 15 rib fractures and a collapsed lung. No way to prove any damage done from the lack of consciousness though. I might post that one up after the case is settled...
Old 05-11-22, 03:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Turn it into a wave... wave like they are old friends you haven't seen in a long time... really confuses the *holes.

Yeah, difficult to not respond... just open your whole hand and wave.
Heh. I was going to write the same. Sometimes I add a “Hey! How you doin’?”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-22, 09:14 AM
Bearhawker

More fun from random rides:

Old 06-14-22, 09:15 AM
Bearhawker

Old 06-14-22, 09:16 AM
Bearhawker

Old 06-14-22, 09:17 AM
Bearhawker

Old 06-14-22, 09:19 AM
Bearhawker

THIS guy I don't mind making room for. Despite taking up more than the whole road, he really was trying to minimize his impact.

Sometimes it's better to just make way. lol

Old 06-14-22, 09:20 AM
Bearhawker

I've never passed someone before. LMAO

Old 06-14-22, 09:20 AM
Bearhawker

Old 06-14-22, 09:21 AM
Bearhawker

Old 06-14-22, 12:02 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
This is why I *never* ride without my video camera.

Helmet cam footage of classic PEI driving Now on YouTube!
Three-in-a-row. Happens all the time. Never occurs to the passing car to slow down just a but until there's room to pass safely. Even in parked car situations, sometime I anticipate and adjust my speed either slower or faster but it always ends up three-in-a-row.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 04-06-23, 06:56 AM
Bearhawker

The weather is improving so I will be back on the roads soon - with a new bike. This is the reason the old bike is now a beat-up trainer bike and why I've been using the fatbike as my daily driver: commuting, touring, even a 3-day Gran Fondo event.

Old 04-07-23, 01:54 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I have to remind myself to ride defensively x 10 (defensive watch out, not defensive angry) and remind myself of what my mother used to say, "It's not who's right, but who's left".

Confrontation: You are from Canada and probably heard about the guy who was stabbed to death in Vancouver last week for confronting an immigrant outside Starbucks for vaping near his daughter.

Last edited by BikeLite; 04-07-23 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-07-23, 06:12 AM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by BikeLite
I have to remind myself to drive defensively x 10 (defensive watch out, not defensive angry) and remind myself of what my mother used to say, "It's not who's right, but who's left".

Confrontation: You are from Canada and probably heard about the guy who was stabbed to death in Vancouver last week for confronting an immigrant outside Starbucks for vaping near his daughter.
Heard and watched the videos. Had I had been there to witness it I wouldn't have been one of the ones standing back recording. I don't have a "flight" response.
Old 04-07-23, 07:44 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 179 Posts
Here in Philly, I usually catch up to aggressive drivers, simply because traffic is that bad. Me catching up to them then passing them is always a wonderful feeling.
Regarding an earlier comment paraphrased "I didn't see him", well maybe I'll say something similar: "I was on my way to a friend's new house to do some work and I didn't notice the box of roofing nails was torn and leaking out the hole in my bag". Might be a convenient, coincidental tear in my bag right in front of a previously aggressive driver I caught up to and passed. Certainly a cyclist's fantasy.
I don't know, traffic and drivers who don't care for anything but themselves are terribly frustrating.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-15-23, 05:25 AM
Bearhawker

I'm upgrading my video camera - tired of using no-name action cameras with suspect battery life & having to selectively turn them on/off to save battery... and forgetting if it's on or off at any given moment. I miss some stuff because of that.

So - the new camera is basically a "dash cam" for bikes and has a claimed run time of 7 hours.

Cycliq Fly 12 should be here early next week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.