Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Should I get a Lux?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Should I get a Lux?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 10:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,409 Times in 1,781 Posts
Should I get a Lux?

I am thinking of getting this "down country" bike, because I want a mountain bike that would complement, rather than completely overlap with, my gravel bike's capabilities. At the same time, I don't want an Enduro Brodozer.

Canyon Lux Trail

This is the bike design that Trek ripped off from Canyon, and Specialized has now ripped off from Trek.

The XT version is what I am coveting, but the SLX is on sale, albeit in an ugly color. It would be the most sensible purchase.

Canyon sizing is a bit wonky. I sit right on the border between small and medium. (I also tried out the Trek Supercaliber 9.7, and my best fit is to their large.)

My previous experience with Canyon was a bit mixed, but what I can say is they actually do service their warranty claims. Unfortunately, I got to test that 3 times. The customer service gauntlet is the low point. At least I can put the bike together without having to read the directions.
Old 06-01-23, 08:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I
This is the bike design that Trek ripped off from Canyon, and Specialized has now ripped off from Trek.
This would not be a correct statement since the Trek Supercaliber and the Specialized rip off of that bike do not have a pivot point connected to the seat tube and seat stay. But there numerous bikes out there that are just like the Canyon design.

Anyway...The bike looks nice but looking at their sizing it looks different than most. Based on Stack and Reach I would be on a Small. ???? All of my current bikes are mediums. Weird.

The $1500 difference in price seems to be in the Carbon Wheels and the XT drivetrain and the bikes are only about 1lb difference in weight. Could always get the SLX and uprade wheels and drivetrain at a later date for less than $1500.
Old 06-01-23, 10:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The sizing is very strange.

Also, I took a look at the Pinkbike review. It wasn't very favorable.
Old 06-01-23, 10:58 AM
prj71

Not sure what your budget is, but I'll throw these out there...

https://spotbikes.com/products/ryve-...40982835298338

https://intensecycles.com/products/s...40544156712983

My only experience with Canyon is a few friends that own their road bikes and they love them.
Old 06-01-23, 11:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am curious what aspect of the Lux you think Trek ripped off from Canyon?
Old 06-01-23, 12:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am curious what aspect of the Lux you think Trek ripped off from Canyon?
Seat stay flex replacing pivot.

It was a bit of a flippant comment. (Nobody seems particularly perturbed with the suggestion that Specialized ripped off Trek.)
Old 06-01-23, 12:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Seat stay flex replacing pivot.
That design has been around long before Canyon used it.

Pretty sure Gary Fisher used it on the Sugar back in the early 2000s. And there have been several others since then.

It was a bit of a flippant comment. (Nobody seems particularly perturbed with the suggestion that Specialized ripped off Trek.)
I think it just goes without saying that if Trek did not rip it off, then Spec did not either. It is a old design idea.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-01-23 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-01-23, 05:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well, it is unlikely to be older than carbon mountain bike frames.
Old 06-01-23, 05:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

prj71 We actually have an Intense in the garage. Recently, Costco was selling their XC bike. I was very much tempted.

Edit: They still do https://www.costco.com/intense-951-x...100691780.html
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-02-23, 10:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Well, it is unlikely to be older than carbon mountain bike frames.
I don't follow your point.

CF MTB frames have been around since before 2000.
Old 06-02-23, 02:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Bringing this back on topic, Canyon is having a summer sale. The XT level Lux Trail is reduced by a few $100. This is quite a change from peak pandemic shortages, where waiting lists were long, and some new bikes (like the Grizl) were snapped up within hours.
Old 06-02-23, 02:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I don't follow your point.
Then find some other threads to post in. Bye Bye!
Old 06-02-23, 02:51 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Then find some other threads to post in. Bye Bye!
Translation: You don’t have a point.

You made a mistake in thinking/stating that Trek ripped off Canyon’s flex stay design. No big deal, we all make mistakes. But rather than simply accepting the correction that this was not the case, you make an irrelevant nonsensical point to confuse the issue.

Fine, its clear you know you were mistaken.

So yeah… bye bye.
Old 06-02-23, 03:03 PM
prj71

I don't know if Trek copied or ripped of some previous design with their SuperCaliber Isostrut but damn...Specialized outright ripped off what Trek did with their Epic Worldcup.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-02-23, 03:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Translation: You don’t have a point.
I have two:

(1) Nobody made a carbon mountain bike in which flexible stays replaced the pivots until Canyon did. (Trek admittedly has a superior implementation of the idea.) I'll accept your "correction" if and when you supply evidence (not speculation) to the contrary.

(2) You need to get a life.

You made a mistake in thinking/stating that Trek ripped off Canyon’s flex stay design. No big deal, we all make mistakes. But rather than simply accepting the correction that this was not the case, you make an irrelevant nonsensical point to confuse the issue.

Fine, its clear you know you were mistaken.

So yeah… bye bye.
Don't let your kickstand kick you in the arse on your way out.
Old 06-02-23, 03:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I don't know if Trek copied or ripped of some previous design with their SuperCaliber Isostrut but damn...Specialized outright ripped off what Trek did with their Epic Worldcup.
That was my first impression, as well.
Old 06-02-23, 03:39 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Eric F
That was my first impression, as well.
Yeah, for a company that so vigorously defends its intellectual property, like "Roubaix," it is quite remarkable.

Meanwhile, I noticed that I could now purchase the Trek e-caliber for only $50 more than the discounted price of the supercaliber. Apart from the wheels, it appears to have better components (eg XT quad piston brakes, fork). You can take the motor and battery out and you have a conventionally-powered bike with only a 5 lb weight penalty (presumably beefier frame). I am going to take a look at that.

I test-rode the (conventional) SuperCaliber, and I was really pleased with the fit.
Old 06-02-23, 03:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yeah, for a company that so vigorously defends its intellectual property, like "Roubaix," it is quite remarkable.

Meanwhile, I noticed that I could now purchase the Trek e-caliber for only $50 more than the discounted price of the supercaliber. Apart from the wheels, it appears to have better components (eg XT quad piston brakes, fork). You can take the motor and battery out and you have a conventionally-powered bike with only a 5 lb weight penalty (presumably beefier frame). I am going to take a look at that.

I test-rode the (conventional) SuperCaliber, and I was really pleased with the fit.
The Supercaliber is on my short list of dream bikes, but was out of my financial reach when I was in the market for a MTB. I bought a used Procaliber 9.9SL (hardtail), built with top-end lightweight parts, and I'm very happy with it. For me, a 5lb weight penalty would be intolerable. However, I fully recognize that I have unreasonable weight-weenie tendencies, and am fully aware that I'm carrying far too many extra lbs on my ass.
Old 06-02-23, 03:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Cool, finally the on-topic conversation I was hoping for!

Originally Posted by Eric F
The Supercaliber is on my short list of dream bikes, but was out of my financial reach when I was in the market for a MTB. I bought a used Procaliber 9.9SL (hardtail), built with top-end lightweight parts, and I'm very happy with it. For me, a 5lb weight penalty would be intolerable. However, I fully recognize that I have unreasonable weight-weenie tendencies, and am fully aware that I'm carrying far too many extra lbs on my ass.
The Supercaliber 9.7 is currently on sale for $4.6K ($500 off). At that price point (which is now $600 more than the full XT Canyon Lux Trail), it has a bit of a mix of components, including a relatively lower-end fork, lower-end brakes, e*13 crankset which reportedly doesn't play too well with the SLX chain, cassette and XT rear derailleur), but it is a bit lighter (maybe 1 lb) than the full XT Canyon, and I fit the large really well.

I've been mostly gravel biking the last 10 years mainly because most modern mountain bikes feel FAR to heavy to me, and frankly I kind of suck at mountain biking. My hope would be a lighter-weight XC (SuperCaliber) or downcountry (Lux Trail) would feel more enjoyable to ride than a big heavy Enduro Bro sled. Maybe I am simply delusional and the bike weight is the least of my problems...
Old 06-02-23, 04:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Cool, finally the on-topic conversation I was hoping for!

The Supercaliber 9.7 is currently on sale for $4.6K ($500 off). At that price point (which is now $600 more than the full XT Canyon Lux Trail), it has a bit of a mix of components, including a relatively lower-end fork, lower-end brakes, e*13 crankset which reportedly doesn't play too well with the SLX chain, cassette and XT rear derailleur), but it is a bit lighter (maybe 1 lb) than the full XT Canyon, and I fit the large really well.

I've been mostly gravel biking the last 10 years mainly because most modern mountain bikes feel FAR to heavy to me, and frankly I kind of suck at mountain biking. My hope would be a lighter-weight XC (SuperCaliber) or downcountry (Lux Trail) would feel more enjoyable to ride than a big heavy Enduro Bro sled. Maybe I am simply delusional and the bike weight is the least of my problems...
Have you considered looking at the used market? My most recent 3 bike purchases (road, MTB, and gravel) were all used buys, and I found good-great deals on each of them. For the price-point you're considering, there will be some really good 1-2yo options out there. It seems like you have a pretty good handle on what you want, and what size it needs to be.

Here's a different take on things...
A good friend of mine bought a full-suspension Intense MTB (not sure of the model, not a full-on DH model). He swaps out his fork, wheels, and stem/handlebar depending on the kind of ride he's doing. For XC type riding, he runs narrower/faster/lighter tires on light wheels, a 100mm fork, and a longer/lower stem with a straight bar. For chairlift days or enduro riding, it's beefier wheels and tires, a 120mm fork, and riser bars with a short stem. The XC setup is about 23lbs. Enduro style adds about 3 lbs. He can do the swap in 15-20 minutes. IMO, it's pretty damn clever.
Old 06-02-23, 04:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I have two:

(1) Nobody made a carbon mountain bike in which flexible stays replaced the pivots until Canyon did. (Trek admittedly has a superior implementation of the idea.) I'll accept your "correction" if and when you supply evidence (not speculation) to the contrary.
Ah, moving the goalpost. Now its the first carbon fiber flex pivot (as if simply making an existing design out of CF instead of metal was in some way a novel or innovative concept).

OK, so when did Canyon introduced this? I assume you will document this since you frown upon memory and speculation.
Old 06-02-23, 04:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

We actually have a used 2017 or 2018 Intense Tracer foundation in the garage we bought second-hand for my daughter. My son already swapped forks without telling her...

They cleverly omitted water bottle mounts.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 06-02-23 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-02-23, 04:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Kapusta :

Old 06-02-23, 07:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

My wife helpfully argues that getting a more capable bike is not going to make me suddenly become a more capable rider.
Old 06-02-23, 09:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

My wife helpfully argues that getting a more capable bike is not going to make me suddenly become a more capable rider.
She might not be wrong - LOL.

Although I lust after a Supercal (and a couple of others), I intentionally bought a hardtail. I’m at a point in my life where getting home structurally intact after every ride is important. A FS bike is going to allow me to ride faster on terrain that can do more damage to my body. If I make a mistake, the consequences are increased. My skills aren’t what they used to be, my reflexes are slower, and my eyesight is worse. I’m good with trying to be as fast as I can be going uphill, but I no longer need to be the fastest jackass going downhill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.