Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vacation Bike Rentals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vacation Bike Rentals

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 12:50 PM
TempoNick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vacation Bike Rentals

I'm going away at some point this summer and was checking out the bike rentals, which seem kind of pricey (like $50 a day for a road bike). Then the idea popped into my head of buying a cheap bike from Walmart and just leaving it there rather than going through the trouble of bringing my own. What do you all think of this idea? I don't care if it's a girls' bike. 🤣
Old 06-03-23, 01:20 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
No to BSOs

About a decade ago a fellow cyclist wanted to participate in RAGBRAI but he was unable to bring his Lightspeed road bike on the trip. He checked with one of the local bike shops asking if they had anything used in the right frame size. They did. He bought the bike outright with the arrangement that he would bring it back in the same shape after a week and have them buy it from him. He ended up riding a quality bike in the right size but at less than the local rental shop were charging for a more mediocre rental bike. The store made a decent amount and still had the bike to sell to someone else.

If you are used to riding a decent bike that is fully functional, you might be really disappointed by using a BSO bought from a mass merchandiser. I remember the time I was taking part in a cycling merit badge ride when the cranks fell off a brand new Walmart BSO. We had checked the bike for the normal safety check but who thinks to check if the assembler had tightened the cranks?
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-03-23, 02:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Resist the urge.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-23, 03:26 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TempoNick
I'm going away at some point this summer and was checking out the bike rentals, which seem kind of pricey (like $50 a day for a road bike). Then the idea popped into my head of buying a cheap bike from Walmart and just leaving it there rather than going through the trouble of bringing my own. What do you all think of this idea? I don't care if it's a girls' bike. 🤣
if you go the WallyWorld route, make sure the bike gets donated to a worthy organization.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 06-03-23, 03:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
For those of us that have to skim in costs this sounds like a great idea. I would, however, take a well stocked bike tool kit that included a pump, flat fix, and tools for adjusting brakes, cables and derailleurs. The Walmart bikes that I have seen fail, usually failed from not being properly assembled. They also lacked proper lubrication. I don't see a Walmart bike as being any less reliable then a rental bike.

To be sure I don't expect allot out of a Walmart bike or a rental bike to begin with. Also you are looking for a ride, and ridding, is ridding, so there it is.

Again I say, its a great idea and well worth pursuing.
Old 06-03-23, 05:10 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Not a good idea. A Wally road bike is going to be a piece of garbage compared to a $50 a day rental road bike. If you want to enjoy riding during your vacation do not consider it. Instead bite the bullet and just rent a nice rental bike. A decent hybrid could likely be rented for half the price of a road bike and would still be more enjoyable to ride compared to a Wally road bike. Also if you have a problem a rental bike will be repaired while a Wally bike will simply be replaced by another piece of garage.
Old 06-04-23, 12:03 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
I've considered attempting a Craigslist purchase for this scenario, but it can be time-consuming to connect with the seller to complete the purchase. I still like the idea though - looks like Walmart bikes start around $200 plus tax, that's a decent budget for a short-term use CL bike.
Old 06-04-23, 09:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Depending on what the use is for the bike, I wouldn't have an issue with it. Unless you are going to France and entering the TdF. Then you might spring for a slightly better bike from a bike shop over there even if it's several thousand dollars. And if you are going to be riding up a lot of steep hill for very long no matter where you are, then you might have trouble finding a BSO light enough and geared well enough to let you go far enough on those hills.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-04-23 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-04-23, 10:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Just some observations and comments. During this period of travel, how many days to you realistically hope to be riding? For example, if you’re on travel for a week, but think you’ll only be able to ride on three of those days…then the $50 daily rental is cheaper than the Walmart bikes that start at $200. The rental shops also usually require a security deposit to cover the cost of the bike. So if you’re renting a bike that costs $2000 be prepared to make that amount available to the shop. But you get it back if there’s no damage/loss. Usually done with a credit card. I guess mileage per ride should also be considered, and if perhaps the higher quality bike will make those miles more comfortable. If you go with the Walmart bike (or a used bike purchased off Craigslist)…I second the advice of having tools available to make sure the bike is mechanically OK to ride. And…if you’re flying…some airlines are now weighing your luggage. Tools quickly add to your max allowable luggage weight. I learned that from experience. So if you have to pay $50 because your luggage is overweight…that’s essentially adding to the cost of the bike.

Dan
Old 06-04-23, 05:53 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
The OP could post on here where he is going , someone here might have a bike to sell that would work for him . I have a couple lower end bike shop bikes I could sell for 40 to 50 dollars that would be better than a new Walmart bike.
Old 06-04-23, 06:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
intriguing idea. but I don't vacation where there are Walmarts
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-04-23, 08:03 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I got tired of traveling internationally with bikes so I ended up leaving one of them at my winter location. It also gave me a good excuse to buy a new bike when I returned to my "summer" location.
Old 06-05-23, 10:07 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
a few years ago while visiting san francisco with my family i bought a used bike for 75.00 i'm sure i saved that amount on cabs and ubers. used it to round up food from the markets and supplies for an art show for my wife . this was when my kid was very small (2 or 3 years old) and couldn't walk too far. i donated the bike at the end of the trip to the local bike co-op. i thought the results worked out really well
Old 06-05-23, 10:46 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
Walmart bikes tend to have dry or next-to-dry bearings among other assembly issues. Be careful if you do this.
Old 06-05-23, 12:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
If $50 is for a whole day with a quality fitted for you road bike, in a great area to ride, I would consider that an excellent deal.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-05-23, 12:32 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Walmart doesn't sell bikes. They sell bike shaped objects.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-05-23, 04:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just some observations and comments. During this period of travel, how many days to you realistically hope to be riding? For example, if you’re on travel for a week, but think you’ll only be able to ride on three of those days…then the $50 daily rental is cheaper than the Walmart bikes that start at $200. The rental shops also usually require a security deposit to cover the cost of the bike. So if you’re renting a bike that costs $2000 be prepared to make that amount available to the shop. But you get it back if there’s no damage/loss. Usually done with a credit card. I guess mileage per ride should also be considered, and if perhaps the higher quality bike will make those miles more comfortable. If you go with the Walmart bike (or a used bike purchased off Craigslist)…I second the advice of having tools available to make sure the bike is mechanically OK to ride. And…if you’re flying…some airlines are now weighing your luggage. Tools quickly add to your max allowable luggage weight. I learned that from experience. So if you have to pay $50 because your luggage is overweight…that’s essentially adding to the cost of the bike.

Dan
The 3 days X $50 in a week hypothetical situation is very accurate in my personal experience traveling and bicycling. If you're with the family or SO, and/or if you're in a place with any interesting things to do at all, you're not going to ride every day. At least that's been the case for me.

On the other hand, I would just rent the bike for the whole week. I'm not spending the time going to go back and forth to the rental shop transporting the bike, do the paperwork, install my saddle (or adjust theirs), install my pedals, etc. three times. Actually when I rent away from home, I usually bring my own saddle and pedals, and sometimes even change the stem. It's not a big deal to do this once, but three times, including the overall rental hassle would be just enough to make the math of "worthwhile" sway towards either not doing it at all, or paying for a whole week. So that's the way I tend to think of it: if I'm vacationing for a week and plan to ride more than once, I kind of figure a whole week rental cost into the decision.

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I got tired of traveling internationally with bikes so I ended up leaving one of them at my winter location. It also gave me a good excuse to buy a new bike when I returned to my "summer" location.
My wife and I did the same to avoid having to transport the bikes back and forth. We have transported them several times and will in the future I'm sure. But when it comes to our travel trailer which we keep in a different state a long airplane flight from home and use a couple of times per year for 4-10 weeks at a time, we decided to buy modest/inexpensive but very serviceable, versatile "gravel" bikes to leave with the trailer. There's no $ formula which justifies this - after all, the airline we fly with does not charge extra for a bike case (just treated as normal luggage). Packing and unpacking is something I'm reasonably efficient with. But we just got tired of handling the large cases, finding transportation to and from the airport that would handle two large cases plus our carry-on size luggage, storing the cases when not in use, etc. Things you pay money for just for convenience without a firm financial justification happens more for me the older I get!

Last edited by Camilo; 06-05-23 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-08-23, 04:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
$50/day doesn't sound bad. I'd go for that.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-08-23, 06:33 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
If it's a road bike you're looking for, be aware Walmart often/usually doesn't have any in stock. At least at the ones around where I live. Hybrids, mountain bikes and lots and lots of kid's bikes, yes. You might have to order online and buy sight-unseen.

Can you bring your own bike from home and ride that instead?
Old 06-08-23, 10:46 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Couple years ago I went to visit a close friend on the west coast who's also an avid cyclist. Rather than transporting one of my "good bikes" across country and dealing with the hassles, I was able to rent a Fuji SL 2.1 for five days for $200. They even delivered the bike to my friend's house. I brought my saddle and my pedals. Best move I could have made in terms of time, expense and hassle.
Old 06-08-23, 11:00 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I would just rent a bike because Walmart bikes are notoriously unreliable POS's and if there's anything wrong with it then its your problem. The rental would be maintained and repaired by the shop so any problems they would be able to set you right more easily. Rentals aren't great and you're not going to "feel your carbon" and every accessory you ever bought for your fancy rig(s) at home but they tend to be a cut or two above Walmart bikes especially in terms of durability/reliability.

If you don't travel much don't bother but if you do travel a lot and find yourself asking this question often why not get a bike suitcase?
Old 06-08-23, 11:01 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I've only rented a bike once for a day only. I don't know what I paid. The experience went well. The bike was a current model Trek so I got to check out what a modern (non-C&V like my collection) bike. Everything worked perfectly, no issues. The only thing that I missed from my personal bikes was fenders. It rained. If I was there longer, I might have explored other options, but for one day, the easiest thing to do was to rent.

For a longer term use, I would consider getting a Walmart bike if a one speed cruiser is acceptable. If you need gears, I don't know if these bikes are ok. Seth at Burm Peak had good luck with a Kent mountain bike, but this was a more expensive bike that is not available at all locations.
Old 06-12-23, 11:48 AM
campfire

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
we just got tired of handling the large cases, finding transportation to and from the airport that would handle two large cases plus our carry-on size luggage, storing the cases when not in use, etc. Things you pay money for just for convenience without a firm financial justification happens more for me the older I get!
Would a folding bike solve this problem, or would that still be too bulky for your situation?
Old 06-12-23, 11:52 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 265 Posts
If I can brike a bike there, there I can bring it back.

The OP should see this:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...hes-wheel.html
Old 06-12-23, 12:39 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Buying a bike from Walmart, then spending time tinkering with it to get it set up properly and then having to ride that garbage does not sound like a fun use of vacation time to me. I am also highly skeptical that one can just walk into a random Walmart and find $200 bikes in a workable size available for purchase in-store. A quick scan of their website shows most/all of the cheap road bikes to be online only with 3+ day shipping.

$50 a day seems like a pretty good deal to rent a road bike from a shop. I think I paid $80/day last summer to rent a carbon Roubaix with Ultegra from a shop in Colorado. That cost seemed more than fair to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.