Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bikes are just terrible. Please explain

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 08:22 AM
Bonts

Bikes: Burley Duet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I thought I posted this last night but see no mention of it on my account or an alert that it was deleted. I'll try again

As far as I can tell, there are mountain bikes and road bikes. Of course this isn't the case, but I'm not a big bicycle person. I'm comfortable on anything with straight, mountain bike type handlebars. Ive had a Schwinn, Raleigh, and Superior. No clue what type they were, but they could be called mountain bikes to the uneducated. I've ridden (tried to ride) road bikes- anything with "ram horn" handlebars. They were all terrible. The dimensions don't look much different than "mountain" bikes, but I just cant ride them. It seems almost as different as trying a unicycle.

The reason I ask is cause my wife got us a Burley Duet of the "ram horn" style. I've ridden tandems well in the past so I don't think it's that. The sporty seat is a big issue I think. I've always put on beefier, cushier seats. This one (common on all road bikes I've sat on) almost feels like there's no seat at all and I'm just sitting on the post.

Question: What should I modify to get this thing to fit? I'm incredibly comfortable on previously mentioned "mountain" bikes. I can wheelie, jump, and slide. It doesn't seem like I'd be so incredibly uncomfortable on any bike. I have zero ideas:
- handle bar drop? I had one bike (too small) set up with a solid 3" of drop
- Narrow handlebars? I can ride no handed, one handed, with a wrench instead of handlebars

There must be some geometry I'm not considering that's incredibly important. Pedal-seat vertical alignment? Fork rake?
Old 12-23-22, 08:28 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Great way to start a thread.
Old 12-23-22, 08:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
You are blaming a whole style of bike on your particular likes about fit on a bike. It's possible to change bars and stems to find a great fitting position on a drop bar bike, obvious as millions buy these and are happy. With a bike that currently has drop bars and wanting to convert to a flat bar you need to change a lot of stuff and it can be expensive. Better to have purchased a tandem that has flat bars from the outset. You need to change 2 stems, 2 h-bars, shifters and brake levers, likely the front derailer, rear derailer, hopefully not the brakes as well. You need to change essentially to a 2X mt. bike shifting system as the road shifters on the drop bar are unlikely to work with the derailers. Best bet is take it to a shop and have them advise. It can run a few hundred $$$.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-23-22, 08:46 AM
Bonts

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You are blaming a whole style of bike on your particular likes about fit on a bike.
Maybe I came across to harsh toward the segment. I'm just wondering why it feels so incredibly alien to me. It seems that it'd just be uncomfortable, not a completely new learning curve. Do you think the handlebars are the main cause?
Old 12-23-22, 08:57 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
maybe it's you...send a photo of yourself sitting on the bike....nobody can tell anything unless they actually know how you look on the bike.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-23-22, 09:03 AM
Bonts

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
maybe it's you...send a photo of yourself sitting on the bike....nobody can tell anything unless they actually know how you look on the bike.
That may be a good point. Is there a "girth limit" associated with this style bike that is more restrictive than others? I don't think I ever noticed an offensive tackle type build on a road bike.
Old 12-23-22, 09:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 435 Posts
Unless the road bike isn't the size you need, it may just be a matter of getting used to a different position on the bike. I rode mtn.bikes for approx. 35 years before owning a road bike. Luckily, I bought it from a knowledgeable and very helpful bike shop. All they did was to put a shorter stem on it to make a more comfortable fit. Now, I was 55 when I bought it and was most likely used to the more upright position, if I had been riding road bikes prior, maybe it would have been ok with the stock (longer) stem. I still ride on the hoods on the road bike, still don't like being too leaned over. I have gone through a number of saddles, the one now is fine, some were torture devices. Different leg muscles are used also (at least in my case). The riding I do on my mtn.bike has me off the saddle most of the time. On the saddle while on the road bike.
Probably just an "adjustment" phase, assuming the road bike is the proper size for you.
Old 12-23-22, 09:17 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonts
That may be a good point. Is there a "girth limit" associated with this style bike that is more restrictive than others? I don't think I ever noticed an offensive tackle type build on a road bike.
How big are you? Yes, there is a lower weight limit on road bikes than on mountain bikes in general.

I was once very obese. I had to lose weight even to ride a MTB. I tried drop bar bikes about 100 lbs later and at first, they seemed incredibly awkward. As my flexibility increased and my belly decreased, Drob bars (Ram horn) became my favorite.
Old 12-23-22, 09:22 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
OP, your problem is...... you are sitting on the saddle as a seat.... and it's not a seat... it's a saddle..... there is a difference. ....and you are probably used to riding a "crank forward" bike.
You need a more aggressive bike fit.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 12-23-22, 09:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

In part, I think it depends a bit on where your girth is. The drop bar road bike generally has a more forward-leaning position than the flat bar bikes. If you have a big belly, this leaning forward can be unpleasant.

If you're looking for a flat bar bike that might be better for the road than a mountain bike, you might want to look at fitness bikes, which are a type of hybrid that is a bit faster on the road than a mountain bike.

I think your basic question is a bit like asking "I like chocolate, but I hate vanilla, how do I make vanilla taste like chocolate?"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-23-22, 09:34 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Maybe I came across to harsh toward the segment. I'm just wondering why it feels so incredibly alien to me. It seems that it'd just be uncomfortable, not a completely new learning curve. Do you think the handlebars are the main cause?
I operate several different bike styles depending on my mission (and unexpected flats). I’m borrowing a hard tail 29 BSO right now and it’s taking me a while to get used to it. The long stroke of the front suspension is very new to me.

It takes a while to work the learning curve on bikes that are new to me.
Old 12-23-22, 09:36 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Road bikes are awesome.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 12-23-22, 09:52 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There is nothing wrong with not liking certain type of bike or handlebars. Some people including myself just don't like drop bars...Just ride whatever bike makes you feel good.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-23-22, 09:59 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I'm comfortable on anything with straight, mountain bike type handlebars. Ive had a Schwinn, Raleigh, and Superior. No clue what type they were, but they could be called mountain bikes to the uneducated. I've ridden (tried to ride) road bikes- anything with "ram horn" handlebars. They were all terrible. The dimensions don't look much different than "mountain" bikes, but I just cant ride them. It seems almost as different as trying a unicycle.

The reason I ask is cause my wife got us a Burley Duet of the "ram horn" style. The sporty seat is a big issue I think. I've always put on beefier, cushier seats. This one (common on all road bikes I've sat on) almost feels like there's no seat at all and I'm just sitting on the post.

I'm incredibly comfortable on previously mentioned "mountain" bikes. I can wheelie, jump, and slide. It doesn't seem like I'd be so incredibly uncomfortable on any bike. I have zero ideas:
IMHO, you don't want a road bike. You aren't alone as I see a lot of used road bikes come up for sale with oversized saddles and the drop bars rotated to an upright position. A good test ride would have perhaps been in order before purchasing. For what it's worth, if you replace the saddle or handlebars to try to get this to how you like it, save the old ones to preserve some resale value if you decide to move on from it. I've passed on a few bikes because I didn't want to procure the correct saddles, stems or bars.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-22, 09:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Take measurements of your most comfortable flat bar bike and try to duplicate them on the drop bar bike. Use the top of the drop bars as if it was a flat bar. There should be no reason why you can't find the same position.

Drop bars come in many shapes and sizes. I use a short reach shallow drop bar on my road bike. My back isn't as flexible as it once was.

And yes, there are offensive linemen on road bikes, but they do trim down a bit. My friend was offensive team captain in college and shrunk down to 265 pounds to ride road bikes and started racing at the velodrome and did well.
Another offensive tackle (college) rode with our club for years and varied between 265 and 280 pounds. Quite strong on the flats, he raced crits as a cat 3.
Old 12-23-22, 10:14 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Tandems can be tricky to size correctly, because both ends of the bike have to fit people of different dimensions. Handlebars are relatively easy to replace, which might solve your issue, but are you sure the Burley is the right size for you? Was this bike a surprise, or did you test ride it first?

As for the saddle, "beefy and cushy" is a recipe for chaffing and discomfort, IMO. There is a middle ground between a cruiser saddle and a the current minimalist one.

Some people don't like drop bars because they're used to having more weight on their butts than on their forearms and hands. The saddle choice can play a role here (again, "beefy and cushy" wouldn't be my choice), but it's also something that people get used to by riding more.

So check the fit carefully before making cockpit changes, but handlebars and saddles can be swapped. Just be ready for some trial-and-error; you might not get it right on the first pass.
Old 12-23-22, 10:19 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,783 Posts
I thought I posted this last night but see no mention of it on my account or an alert that it was deleted. I'll try again?
It might be possible that someone mistook this earnest question, along with the accompanying phraseology, as an example of a phenomenon known as trolling.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-23-22, 10:21 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,783 Posts
Or might this be the missing thread?

https://www.bikeforums.net/introduct...ot-tandem.html
Old 12-23-22, 10:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
A genuine post like this is certain to get abundant traction. Especially given the OPs tenure here.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-23-22, 10:49 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I am more or less a middle linebacker build from days gone by: 6'3" 255 pounds, I have no problem with a properly sized drop bar bicycle.

Our tandem is setup with flat bars for touring. We have gone as far as 75 miles in a day with it fully loaded. The main reason it has flat bars is that when I built it up, the available brakes suitable for two large people with a lot of gear were from the Mountain Bike downhill racing world. That and the fact that I can't seem to adjust to Shimano or SRAM drop bar controls. There is nothing wrong with either, I just don't like them and I find them difficult to use. So because of those factors, I went with flat bars.

But enough about me. How can you make this bike fit?!? Because the most important thing is that the bicycle fits you and your stoker. The first bit of news is that it may not be possible to make this tandem work for you. There are a lot of bicycle fit calculators on line. I have found the one on the Competitive Cyclist web site to be good.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...waAojEEALw_wcB

If the size of the bike you have is way out of range, sell the bike and find one that is close enough to be workable for you. If someone gave me a 58 cm or smaller bike there is probably no way I could make it fit.

Now, how many miles do you plan on riding per day? The "comfort" seat will become a torture instrument after just a few miles. If you plan on doing ten mile trips on a bike path with a break in the middle, then do what ever you want. My wife / stoker thought she wanted a "comfort" seat, so I replaced the touring saddle with one. We made it about two miles before she wanted to turn back and put the touring saddle back on the bike. There are just so many things wrong with those tractor seats for a bike once the miles go up.

Looking at the bars, how wide are the current drop bars? If they are too narrow or too wide, the problem may not be that they are drop bars. They may just be the wrong size. Or the wrong shape for your body type. Fizik recommend bars and saddles based on your flexibility. They divide them into three groups: "snakes" are very flexible people, "chameleons" are people of average flexibility, and "bulls" are people who are less flexible.

This is not about fitness level. I have a brother who even when he was young and extremely fit couldn't come close to touching his toes. He is a "Bull", I can touch my wrists to my toes. I am a snake even if I look like a snake who just swallowed an elephant. I like Fizik's system because it is easy to determine which will work for you, but they are not the only brand that have saddles and bars that fit different body shapes.

And finally, switching to flat bars is possible, but it may not be cheap. You may want to find out how much it will cost to do the conversion to see if you would be better off selling this bike and buying a flat bar bike. Also remember that you will not just be switching from drop bars to flat bars. The change will almost certainly require a different stem length.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-23-22, 11:27 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
There is just so much to unpack here it's hard to know where to begin.

For starters: The steering of a mountain bike is going to be different than a road bike. Road bikes tend to be steered with your hips & counter-steered with the bars. This works because they are designed for high speed sweeping smooth terrain with a moreorless different weight distribution than perhaps what you are used to.

Legacy mountain bikes started similar but the handlebars were on long stems so that steering was stabilized by a sweeping motion. We would probably call them "cross country" bikes now. Road-mountain bikes are called "gravel" bikes & fill the next increment in the road direction of the spectrum. But are essentially designed for the same spot on the continuum as bikes of yore.

Newer mountain bikes: The weight distribution is much more rearward biased & the head tube geometry is much more slack. This means that the bars must be much closer to the rider for reach & wider for leverage over the 'flop.' This it done to lighten the feel of the front end because at the comparatively much lower speeds counter-steering isn't so much a thing as is simply pointing the bike the direction you want it to go & leveraging the bike to the proper orientation to stay upright.

All this in broad strokes of course.

That being said: You shouldn't feel any pain or numbness. If so, something is wrong. Handling characteristics aside, either bike should be as comfortable as the other.

Last edited by base2; 12-23-22 at 11:40 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-23-22, 11:33 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I can't ride more than 5 miles on a hybrid. Very uncomfortable for me. The upright position is harder on my back and my wrists don't like the bars. But I've ridden road bikes for 50 years so it's what I'm used to. The position of the rider is very different on different styles and the unfamiliar style can often feel just too odd. With a good fit, you could probably adapt to a new style over time. If you feel the need.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-23-22, 11:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts

As far as I can tell, there are mountain bikes and road bikes.
Maybe start with the Ladybird book of bicycles?
Old 12-23-22, 11:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
...people modify tandem bikes according to personal preference all the time. Just swap out the stuff that bothers you, (but not your wife.)

Old 12-23-22, 11:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...people modify tandem bikes according to personal preference all the time. Just swap out the stuff that bothers you, (but not your wife.)
Sometimes you swap out the wife. Especially before she mellows and decides that tandems aren’t as bad as she thought

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.