Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How much is this E bike worth?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 05:28 PM
old bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While i was searching for a bike, I came across this one and wondered what you thought of it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-C...8?sid=p2491377
Old 02-02-23, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
It is used and the seller says it "needs a full service" and goes on which could mean a lot of money. It is a Bosch equipped bike though lower end Bosch motor but Bosch equipped and has Shimano Deore 10 speed so it is a solid entry level bike but be careful. I don't know what it is worth being it is hard to diagnose via a couple pictures but the sellers description is a bit scary. If I could take it to a Bosch shop and take a look at battery in the diagnostic tool and see how much is left and also have them look at the rest of the bike and see what condition its condition was in, I could then get a better chance of figuring out pricing. It could need a new battery soon which can be expensive. Yes it lights up and that is good but what is the actual health of that battery after 12k+ miles.

TL : DR: Seller says bike condtion bad, bike is a solid entry level bike with Bosch which is good. Be careful.
Old 02-02-23, 08:11 PM
old bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is used and the seller says it "needs a full service" and goes on which could mean a lot of money. It is a Bosch equipped bike though lower end Bosch motor but Bosch equipped and has Shimano Deore 10 speed so it is a solid entry level bike but be careful. I don't know what it is worth being it is hard to diagnose via a couple pictures but the sellers description is a bit scary. If I could take it to a Bosch shop and take a look at battery in the diagnostic tool and see how much is left and also have them look at the rest of the bike and see what condition its condition was in, I could then get a better chance of figuring out pricing. It could need a new battery soon which can be expensive. Yes it lights up and that is good but what is the actual health of that battery after 12k+ miles.
TL : DR: Seller says bike condtion bad, bike is a solid entry level bike with Bosch which is good. Be careful.
So I
guess the battery is worth more then the bike itself?
Do you know the cost of a replacment battery?
Old 02-03-23, 12:03 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
No battery = almost no value. We get one or two ebikes donated to our local bike coop each year. The only thing we can do is part them out. One last year generated almost $200 in parts sales. Got a Rad Power fat bike recently. $2000 retail, missing the battery pack and charger. $700 to replace those and we might be able to sell it for $300. Not worth it.

$500 + 2 way shipping to get existing battery packs rebuilt in California. USA post office won't ship batteries so you would have to use a commercial shipper.

There are plenty of ways to cobble a new battery pack. Youtube is full of cordless tool battery packs powering ebikes. My favorite is a bike trailer with a few car batteries connected via jumper cables to the ebike.

You can buy new ebikes for $695 but those are usually very poorly built, like walmart bsos.

Amazon has new Bosch battery packs. $229 - $399. Bosch already has many pack designs and capacities. So much for standardization.
Old 02-03-23, 08:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Welcome! BF has an entire section for Ebikes and a mod can move this for you if you ask. Just use the red button beside your original post.
Old 02-03-23, 10:51 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from General to E-Bikes.

Old 02-03-23, 11:10 AM
old bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked them all of that and there answer was only

All runs well and there's no issues I've had it regularly serviced and the shop has never said there's any issue with the electrics

Originally Posted by rickpaulos
There are plenty of ways to cobble a new battery pack. Youtube is full of cordless tool battery packs powering ebikes. My favorite is a bike trailer with a few car batteries connected via jumper cables to the ebike.
I had this disscution on this forum about 2 weeks ago about using led acid batteries and I was told it will never never never work otherwise everyone ells would of done it

Have you tried it with led acid batteries?
Old 02-03-23, 11:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by old bike
So I
guess the battery is worth more then the bike itself?
Do you know the cost of a replacment battery?
Not necessarily the case. It is a significant proportion but not more then the sum of the rest of the parts.

Generally if a new battery is needed it is around $1000 but it may not. The big problem is the unknown on the battery and the condition of the rest of the bike. If you can get a shop to look at it then you could know.

I really would not trust Amazon for Bosch e-bike batteries and at that price they are certainly either fakes or they are the dummy batteries for display purposes. Buy them from an authorized dealer and you will get a two year warranty on that battery and it will be a proper battery and not cause issues. The whole reason a Bosch battery costs the amount it costs is because of the Battery Management System (BMS) which keeps issues from arising and keeps the battery from getting overcharged and such.

A lot of people read the news and see what is going on in NYC and Bosch makes batteries to not have those issues and to last a long time. It is a complete system so they can control everything and make sure it all works together without issues and get it properly UL certified and make it safe and work a long time.

In terms of the different packs they have the Powerpacks in different battery sizes and power tubes also in different sizes. Nothing crazy there as was mentioned in an earlier post. It is all pretty standard Bosch stuff, they use the same charger up until the Smart system but that is a new system and they are allowed to change stuff. Since 2014 they have been using the same stuff, the Smart system came out in 2022 so for 8 years they use the same stuff and expand with some new integrated batteries and displays and update motors. Plus they are still supporting their old stuff for many many years after it gets discontinued which it isn't yet.