Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Electric Cargo Bikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Tern Electric Cargo Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 04:05 AM
SB1501

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2021), Raleigh Edale (2016)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Question Tern Electric Cargo Bikes

Hi forum, I saw a video last night showing the practicalities of one of the electric Tern cargo bikes. I don't think I made it to the end of the video before I was dreaming of how this thing could replace my car! I was wondering if anyone here had one and could share some things they wish they knew, if it was worth it or not or general perspective on it?

I love my car and I put a lot of effort into it. But with the price of fuel, parts and repairs and wanting to buy a first home soon, if I could do without the expense perhaps my income could be better invested elsewhere. The cargo bike (and electric in particular) seem to (in theory) hit the last nails on the head of reasons why replacing a car with a bike might not be so crazy?
Old 03-17-23, 06:41 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
I do most of my cycling within NYC metro area.
I've ridden TERN GSD for a few weeks back in 2018 or so; though great ebike, but very costly,
which makes me weary of parking it when I'm out running errands.
The craftsmanship & quality of components on the GSD was top shelf, I'm sure it would provide many years of reliable cycling.
To determine which type of cargo ebike could be better fit for you, determine what volume & weight of cargo you want to be able to carry and the range you want to operate.
I carry large volume of food items from school to shelter; not much worry about the cargo getting damaged along my rides.
Most if not all of my rides are under 25 miles, with minor hills, but among bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Long cargo ebike was great for carrying large volume of cargo & weight, but not so practical in everyday commuting without the cargo.
The storage of the large cargo ebike was also a constant problem for me; since it was not ridden for majority of tits existence, only when I need to transport items. It took up much more storage space than my other ebikes & regular bikes.
Large overall footprint means more chances to get hit by cars in traffic, but less likely for thieves to steal your ebike.
Below is the thread about my cargo ebike journey.
IME, I don't need a $3-4k cargo ebike, when compact ebikes under $2k could perform just as well.
With recent developments & popularity of ebikes in the US, there are some great choices for cargo ebikes under $2k.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...y-e-bikes.html

Few different threads about cargo ebikes in general.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...-question.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...hort-wife.html
Likes For cat0020:
Old 03-17-23, 10:12 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Seems like a good solution for you, and I was impressed with the Tern (Yuba too) when testing them a couple of years ago. I wish this was an option for me, but socal is very "auto-centered". AIR, the Tern has a Bosch system, and they're excellent and reliable. Perhaps you could rent one (or a lower quality, but still viable Lectric Cycle or equivalent) and test the concept.
Old 03-18-23, 10:48 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I just got a GSD S10. Having only had it a few days I can't say much about its cargo wothiness but as an e-bike it's pretty much a full package. There's not much if any in terms of compromise. Everything seems to be designed/chosen to be the best in class for the application.

I especially like the ability to easily mount dual batteries.

After getting it I don't really want to use the car anymore.
Old 04-30-23, 09:59 AM
Bikerdrummer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I also live in NYC area and just sold my only car. So now I’m car free and have a 90’s mountain bike, an all city road bike, and a brompton. They all have their place but I think I’m going to get a tern for commuting to work so I’m not as sweaty in the summers. There are some new locks out there that are excellent, like the hiplok. It’s $300 but I think worth it. I might actually get 2 of them, again, worth the investment of a $3,000+ bike. It would probably be easier to cut through what you have it locked to.
I would keep it indoors overnight.
I think about it this way, insurance for my car was $150/mo, gas $40 min/mo (I didn’t drive long distances), and maintenance and car washes on average $50/mo. That’s over $2,800/yr, not including car depreciation. So put that into a nice e-bike and in 2 years it will pay for itself.
Likes For Bikerdrummer: