Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stupidity and impatience could have killed me today.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stupidity and impatience could have killed me today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 12:40 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Since I began driving over 40 years ago I have noticed that it is normal for automobile drivers to be impatient and stupid. In fact it has nothing to do with them driving at all, in general humans are impatient and stupid no matter what they are doing. Stupid is a relative word, the IQ of most of the population is average, that is the definition of average, what the most common state or number for a phenomenon is assigned to it. For humans average is not cutting it as the planet's ecosystem is devastated, multiple wars have raged since 1945 continuously, and tens of thousands dying in automobile accidents each year in just the USA alone, let alone the rest of the planet. So dying in automobile accidents is actually normal and accepted, an acceptable loss for the convenience of the transportation it provides. Also statistically an average number of bicyclists die each year either by being run down by larger vehicles, or finding ways to accomplish the feat entirely on their own, and that is also accepted as neither driving automobiles or riding bicycles on public roads has stopped.

I know the risks involved driving an automobile, a motorcycle or bicycle on public roadways, I know it may kill me someday, and so may cancer, heart-disease, a gunshot etc. I am okay with all of that. I plan on continuing to drive, motorcycle, bicycle, grill a few cheesburgers each year and keep my father's old Winchester Model 94 handy, because the enjoyment I get out of them offsets the risk I perceive in them. And because it appears most are also keeping the same items and activities in their repertoire, it looks like most think the same way.
Likes For beng1:
Old 03-29-23, 08:15 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
I think humans are incapable of safely operating motor vehicles. They (we) are not emotionally stable enough or rational enough, and do not have a functional understanding of risk.

We can only run sustainably at around 15 mph; I tend to think we can only assess risk at or below that speed.
Old 03-29-23, 09:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car
I rode on bicycle trail, there were no semi trucks, passing me that day...
And if there are no bike paths in your area, then what?

Old 03-29-23, 09:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
But not mine.

I was out on a ride today and I'm on the shoulder of the highway heading into town. Coming at me heading out of town was a semi-tanker. Behind the tanker was a (stupid and impatient) woman in a crappy little car. I say this because the road curves to her right (blinded by the tanker) and is a solid double yellow line. Impatiently and illegally, she crosses the double yellow line in an attempt to overtake the tanker when she cannot see oncoming traffic. I see all this happening and I think she's an idiot.

But what got my attention was the chirp, chirp, chirp of locked up wheels behind me. I check in my mirror to see another semi traveling the same direction as me has pulled onto the shoulder (where I am) to avoid a head on collision with the idiot. He wasn't so close that I lost it or anything, but he was close enough to me that he had to lock up his brakes while on the shoulder where I was riding in order to avoid hitting the idiot driver AND avoid running me over.

I'm probably lucky I really didn't know what was going on until it was mostly over or I might have ridden off the shoulder and dumped my bike to get out of the way. Hopefully the semi driver didn't have to change his shorts and the idiot woman did.
Originally Posted by Random11
Today, riding on a two-lane road with double yellow stripes down the center, vehicles were approaching from the other direction, and the one in front slowed to make a right turn. A pickup truck pulled out into my lane to get out from behind the slowing car, straight toward me in my lane. Obviously, the truck driver didn't see me coming when he pulled out. I didn't get hit, but one thing that impressed me was how quickly it all happened. Before I realized what was going on or had time to react, the truck was by me. No time to react. No time to be scared. I thought of this thread when that happened. Vehicles are driving so fast that if a driver pulls a bonehead move, there may be no way for a cyclist to escape.
This is why I don't judge cyclists when they edge ride or ride the shoulder. If you really use your brain, there are both and good times and bad times to do all of these options. In these two cases, taking primary position in the lane would probably have been tragic.
Old 03-29-23, 09:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
That would not have been an accident. That would have been a highly foreseeable crash. Accident suggests it somehow "just happened." Road traffic experts are working to get away from the word accident because it suggests "no one was wa fault."
I dunno. To me, "accident" means it is unintentional. While these drivers are doing things that are stupid/inattentive/careless, they're not actually trying to harm someone else. For that matter, I prefer to use the term "collision" since it doesn't have this stigma of relieving liability. But to be clear, there can surely be someone at fault in an accident.
Old 04-05-23, 05:28 AM
andydallas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
about 20 years ago I was racing in a drag racing series with races around the country, the rig I used to get to the races was basically an over length tractor trailer, I was shocked at what people with do (I guess they threw me in as a professional driver, I was NOT), I have seen people cut in front of me with no room between the car in front of me and my vehicle, I promise you those heavy vehicles can't stop as fast as a car, but everyone seemed to think it was fine to cut in front of me,,,,I feel sorry for the professional truckers, people think they are magic and can stop in no time, they can't
Old 04-05-23, 05:27 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by andydallas
about 20 years ago I was racing in a drag racing series with races around the country, the rig I used to get to the races was basically an over length tractor trailer, I was shocked at what people with do (I guess they threw me in as a professional driver, I was NOT), I have seen people cut in front of me with no room between the car in front of me and my vehicle, I promise you those heavy vehicles can't stop as fast as a car, but everyone seemed to think it was fine to cut in front of me,,,,I feel sorry for the professional truckers, people think they are magic and can stop in no time, they can't
People are under the mistaken belief that if you hit them from behind, it's automatically your fault, regardless of what you're driving and how much of a j*ck*$$ they're being.