Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Sora brifters vs. Microshift R9

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 09:09 AM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts

The 9 speed Shimano 105 brifters on my 2002 LeMond need to be replaced, and I don't want to spend too much. Which would be a better replacement- Sora or Microshift? I had 8 speed Sora brifters years ago on an entry level Giant road bike, and really liked them.
Old 03-21-23, 11:52 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Why not get some used Ultegra 6500 shifters?
Old 03-22-23, 07:51 AM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I just got a Cannondale Topstone with Shimano Sora. Flawless, indistinguishable from my 2016 endurance bike with Shimano 105.

I think at this point Claris and Sora are comparable to Dura Ace of 20 years ago, I can’t see why spend more. The only difference now is the brakes, rim vs mechanical disc vs hydraulic, and frankly they all work.
Old 03-22-23, 09:44 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I replaced some 9 speed Shimano brifters on my daughters old Fuji. Advantages: Way cheaper, brake lever doesn't move sideways. More positive sounding (at least) shifting. Disadvantage; Harder to shift to larger sprockets/cogs since the lever arm is shorter.
Old 03-22-23, 10:07 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Robert7659
I just got a Cannondale Topstone with Shimano Sora. Flawless, indistinguishable from my 2016 endurance bike with Shimano 105.

I think at this point Claris and Sora are comparable to Dura Ace of 20 years ago, I can’t see why spend more. The only difference now is the brakes, rim vs mechanical disc vs hydraulic, and frankly they all work.

I would spend more because I don’t want to constantly have to adjust the tension every other day. It shifts great, but my wife’s bike constantly goes out of alignment. 2021 Trek domane with Sora.

After my wife put about 75 miles on the bike I told her I was putting Tiagra on it. I was tired of messing with it after every ride.
Old 03-22-23, 11:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I would spend more because I don’t want to constantly have to adjust the tension every other day. It shifts great, but my wife’s bike constantly goes out of alignment. 2021 Trek domane with Sora.

After my wife put about 75 miles on the bike I told her I was putting Tiagra on it. I was tired of messing with it after every ride.
I'm not disputing what you've written, but why would the Sora (or the Claris, whatever) go out of adjustment more than Tiagra? I've got lots of experience with my wife's old bike with Tiagra, and it always worked perfectly - as perfectly as new and old Ultegra, so know that what you're saying about it is true. But we've both used Sora quite a bit on rental bikes, one time, both of us, for over a week and 250 miles each. It never went out of adjustment. So it's not an assumption I would make. I've always assumed a different feel, heavier, maybe less durable, maybe less crisp, etc. with the cheaper components, but why would it actually lose adjustment more? Was it the indexing that got out or whack? The limits?

Last edited by Camilo; 03-22-23 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-23-23, 01:29 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Camilo
I'm not disputing what you've written, but why would the Sora (or the Claris, whatever) go out of adjustment more than Tiagra? I've got lots of experience with my wife's old bike with Tiagra, and it always worked perfectly - as perfectly as new and old Ultegra, so know that what you're saying about it is true. But we've both used Sora quite a bit on rental bikes, one time, both of us, for over a week and 250 miles each. It never went out of adjustment. So it's not an assumption I would make. I've always assumed a different feel, heavier, maybe less durable, maybe less crisp, etc. with the cheaper components, but why would it actually lose adjustment more? Was it the indexing that got out or whack? The limits?

The indexing would somehow get off after every ride.
The actual shifters are probably fine. However, the OP is running 3x9 and I am pretty sure new Sora shifters do not come that way.

On my crit bike, I am running Ultegra 6500 3x9. For a 20 plus year old group set, it still works very well. It shifts beautifully, each shift is crisp, the FD, shifts well and trims well. Recently, started skipping but I think the cassette is bad.
Old 03-23-23, 04:26 AM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have a 2004 Trek mountain bike with Shimano Alivio. Always worked perfectly with hardly any maintenance over all these years. As well as newer bikes with SLX and 105. At this point, I am very comfortable looking mainly at « entry » level bicycles.
Old 03-23-23, 07:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
To add to a curernt thread drift discussion, modern Sora(so anything with 2 paddles and no thumb button) which is 2 generations and probably 8 years of product, shifts perfectly fine and stays correctly adjusted just fine. My family has 2 bikes with modern Sora shifting, 2 bikes with Tiagra 9sp shifting, and 2 bikes with Microshift 9sp shifting.
All of it works and stays perfectly aligned once it is properly set up and dialed in.
Further, I am responsible for keeping 6 road bikes in good working order that have modern Sora and modern Claris. The shifting accuracy of all these is probably the easiest thing to oversee- none of them go out of tune unless something happens like the bike is dropped on the drive side, a wheel bumps into an RD, or something similar like that.
I am not saying someone else is 'doing it wrong' or is incapable of setting up a bike properly. There could be some wonky 1 off issue that they were subjected to. My only point is that overall, Sora stays in tune for as long as anything else I have ever used or work on.

JochenRindt - if you buy Shimano R3000 shifters, they will work perfectly with your 9sp rear derailleur, but they will not work perfectly with your front derailleur. That model shifter requires a new front derailleur. I have read people have kludged together a setup that makes front shifting work well enough, but I have also read about others ultimately having to buy a compatible front derailleur.
As for which should you get of your listed 2 options...I would say the biggest differences are cable routing, shift paddle design, and cost.
- cable routing for R3000 shifters is under the bar tape while Microshift R9 shift cables come out the side externally, just like your current shifters. If you like one more than the other, then thats something to consider.
- shift paddle design is different. R3000 uses the shift lever to get to easier large cogs and the single paddle to get to smaller cogs. Microshift R9 has a dedicated brake lever and then 2 small paddles for shifting up and down. I like both styles, but if one appeals to you more, then that is also something to consider. Shimano shifting is more fluid/smooth. Microshift shifting is more abrupt and deliberate/solid feeling. Basically, they feel different and that matters to some.
- Shimano R300 shifters cost more and you will need to buy a front derailleur. Microshift and Micronew(effectively same thing) cost less and are fully compatible with your current derailleurs.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-23-23, 09:40 AM
zastolj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
To add to a curernt thread drift discussion, modern Sora(so anything with 2 paddles and no thumb button) which is 2 generations and probably 8 years of product, shifts perfectly fine and stays correctly adjusted just fine. My family has 2 bikes with modern Sora shifting, 2 bikes with Tiagra 9sp shifting, and 2 bikes with Microshift 9sp shifting.
All of it works and stays perfectly aligned once it is properly set up and dialed in.
Further, I am responsible for keeping 6 road bikes in good working order that have modern Sora and modern Claris. The shifting accuracy of all these is probably the easiest thing to oversee- none of them go out of tune unless something happens like the bike is dropped on the drive side, a wheel bumps into an RD, or something similar like that.
I am not saying someone else is 'doing it wrong' or is incapable of setting up a bike properly. There could be some wonky 1 off issue that they were subjected to. My only point is that overall, Sora stays in tune for as long as anything else I have ever used or work on.

JochenRindt - if you buy Shimano R3000 shifters, they will work perfectly with your 9sp rear derailleur, but they will not work perfectly with your front derailleur. That model shifter requires a new front derailleur. I have read people have kludged together a setup that makes front shifting work well enough, but I have also read about others ultimately having to buy a compatible front derailleur.
As for which should you get of your listed 2 options...I would say the biggest differences are cable routing, shift paddle design, and cost.
- cable routing for R3000 shifters is under the bar tape while Microshift R9 shift cables come out the side externally, just like your current shifters. If you like one more than the other, then thats something to consider.
- shift paddle design is different. R3000 uses the shift lever to get to easier large cogs and the single paddle to get to smaller cogs. Microshift R9 has a dedicated brake lever and then 2 small paddles for shifting up and down. I like both styles, but if one appeals to you more, then that is also something to consider. Shimano shifting is more fluid/smooth. Microshift shifting is more abrupt and deliberate/solid feeling. Basically, they feel different and that matters to some.
- Shimano R300 shifters cost more and you will need to buy a front derailleur. Microshift and Micronew(effectively same thing) cost less and are fully compatible with your current derailleurs.
Yes to all of this, I have some experience of Sora R3000 and R2000 on my own bikes. I grown to hate the long arm derailleurs on these, a bit of a PITA to adjust initially... But other than that they are all fine especially for the price!

About the constant need to adjust; I will be the defender of these modest products and say that until someone proves with detail that they have some exact and inherent design flaw that makes them somehow lose their adjustment, I will claim that there must be something wrong or unoptimal with the setup or the cable then. If you build a bike with exclusively Shimano Claris or Sora level components, with careful installation of good quality cables and with properly designed cable routing, you will have a setup that will stay functional for quite a long while. The only specific flaw I can think of are the derailleur pivots wearing out after some miles depending on conditions, causing slop in the system but even that should not effect the adjustment too much unless it goes really bad. Also, by then the pulleys are probably worn out too, and because the Claris/Sora derailleurs are so cheap you might as well buy a shiny new one instead of only changing the pulleys.
Likes For zastolj:
Old 03-23-23, 04:25 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by bampilot06
The indexing would somehow get off after every ride.
The actual shifters are probably fine. However, the OP is running 3x9 and I am pretty sure new Sora shifters do not come that way.

On my crit bike, I am running Ultegra 6500 3x9. For a 20 plus year old group set, it still works very well. It shifts beautifully, each shift is crisp, the FD, shifts well and trims well. Recently, started skipping but I think the cassette is bad.
I still have a 6500 3X9. I ran it until about a year or two ago when I gave the bike to my son in law and he's still using it. Great group. I even used the Flight Deck computer for quite a while
Old 03-23-23, 05:00 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Camilo
I still have a 6500 3X9. I ran it until about a year or two ago when I gave the bike to my son in law and he's still using it. Great group. I even used the Flight Deck computer for quite a while

I threw it on this, as my first bike build. I had planned on building it and either making it permanently on the trainer or selling it, but I fell in love with this bike. Now I ride this more than anything else, and it’s turned into my crit bike.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-24-23, 04:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Resurrection or coincidence?

Old 03-24-23, 09:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Old 03-25-23, 05:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Huge shoes to fill....

Old 03-25-23, 11:07 PM
Areba21

Bikes: magOdops

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JochenRindt
The 9 speed Shimano 105 brifters on my 2002 LeMond need to be replaced, and I don't want to spend too much. Which would be a better replacement- Sora or Microshift? I had 8 speed Sora brifters years ago on an entry level Giant road bike, and really liked them.
When confronted with the choice between Sora and Microshift, it would be wise to deliberate with care. While Sora is a well-known and dependable option, Microshift offers similar quality at a more reasonable price point. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual preferences and financial situation. If you have had positive past experiences with Sora, it may be worth revisiting. On the other hand, if you wish to economize, Microshift may be a viable alternative. It is essential to ensure that whichever option you select is compatible with your bike's components and is installed correctly to achieve optimal performance. Moreover also check some reviews here (https://truecarexpert.com/guide/microshift-vs-shimano/)
Old 03-25-23, 11:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

^

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-26-23, 06:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Where's the "select every picture that has a stoplight" security step?
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-30-23, 08:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yep, doesn't pass ZeroGPT
Old 06-06-23, 09:16 PM
Areba21

Bikes: magOdops

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JochenRindt
If you're looking to replace the 9-speed Shimano 105 brifters on your 2002 LeMond without spending too much, both the Sora and Microshift options could be worth considering. Since you had a positive experience with 8-speed Sora brifters in the past, you might lean towards the Sora option for familiarity and a similar performance level. However, it's important to note that both Sora and Microshift offer budget-friendly alternatives to higher-end groupsets like Shimano 105.

To make a well-informed decision, I would recommend considering a few factors. Firstly, compare the features and specifications of both the Sora and Microshift brifters to ensure they are compatible with your bike's drivetrain and other components. Additionally, read reviews from other cyclists who have used these replacements to get a sense of their overall performance, durability, and ease of use. Lastly, if possible, try to test both options in person at a local bike shop to see which one feels more comfortable and suits your preferences.
Likes For Areba21:
Old 06-12-23, 07:28 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Areba21
When confronted with the choice between Sora and Microshift, it would be wise to deliberate with care. While Sora is a well-known and dependable option, Microshift offers similar quality at a more reasonable price point. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual preferences and financial situation. If you have had positive past experiences with Sora, it may be worth revisiting. On the other hand, if you wish to economize, Microshift may be a viable alternative. It is essential to ensure that whichever option you select is compatible with your bike's components and is installed correctly to achieve optimal performance. Moreover also check some reviews here (https://truecarexpert.com/guide/microshift-vs-shimano/)
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
^

So I’m not the only one that thought that was written by Chat GPT?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-18-23, 12:59 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Areba21
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So I’m not the only one that thought that was written by Chat GPT?
Certainly the linked site is
Old 06-18-23, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes, both their posts are AI.