Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who Drinks Powdered Beet Root?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-16-22, 10:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts

Have been reading about the cardiac benefits due to the nitric-oxide found in beets. Lowering blood pressure and better oxygen uptake are two of the claimed benefits. I have been using it for a week before workouts and have noticed a slight reduction in pulse and BP. Have yet to determine about the performance aspect but some friends who are die-hard runners are convinced.

And now for a biased summary of all the benefits by a retailer but I read a handful of studies which substantiate these claims:

https://www.humann.com/science-overv...c-oxide-works/

Old 04-17-22, 10:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Have been reading about the cardiac benefits due to the nitric-oxide found in beets. Lowering blood pressure and better oxygen uptake are two of the claimed benefits. I have been using it for a week before workouts and have noticed a slight reduction in pulse and BP. Have yet to determine about the performance aspect but some friends who are die-hard runners are convinced.

And now for a biased summary of all the benefits by a retailer but I read a handful of studies which substantiate these claims:

What does Dr. Oz or Joe Rogan have to say about it?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 04-17-22, 10:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't take any supplements because the entire supplement industry is a scam...Just eat real food, that's all that your body needs.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-17-22, 10:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Very clever marketing strategy.
Old 04-17-22, 01:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Very clever marketing strategy.
For not very clever potential customers.
Old 04-17-22, 01:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've been talking beet root for nearly 30 years. Haven't even thought about documenting the before and after but my heart has stayed strong, BP and HR low. No, not my racing days low but I am now in my 60s, not 20s and annual mileage is in the low thousands, not bumping 5 digits.

However, I have so far refused to consume my beet root in processed form where it goes from the ground to a central place, gets dried and ground almost certainly with loss of nutrients, then packaged and distributed perhaps long distances and the packaging gets tossed or recycled. My beet root goes from ground to farmer's market, then home on bike to my frying pan where nearly all of the rest of the plant also goes. The rest into my compost and garden. Every container of the transport gets reused. When I lived in Seattle, I had the proper soil the beets went straight from garden to frying pan (then usually wok). When young, the entire plant is good eating and later, the beet roots went through Seattle winters in the garden just fine.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-17-22, 01:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

However, I have so far refused to consume my beet root in processed form where it goes from the ground to a central place, gets dried and ground almost certainly with loss of nutrients, then packaged and distributed perhaps long distances and the packaging gets tossed or recycled. My beet root goes from ground to farmer's market, then home on bike to my frying pan where nearly all of the rest of the plant also goes. The rest into my compost and garden. Every container of the transport gets reused. When I lived in Seattle, I had the proper soil the beets went straight from garden to frying pan (then usually wok). When young, the entire plant is good eating and later, the beet roots went through Seattle winters in the garden just fine.
That's a very good nutrition strategy. Eat them the way they come from nature and not packaged powdered supplement.
Old 04-18-22, 07:46 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I wondered how this would play out. I have seen a lot of advertisements pop up recently touting the “benefits” of eating powdered beet root but always ignored them. I like fresh beets and eat them often but never considered it anything more than a delicious part of my diet. I too am skeptical of the many claims for supplements. Some years ago a Utah legislator in Washington made it very difficult for the FDA, which has jurisdiction over drugs and adulterated food, to challenge claims of any product that can be considered to be a food (versus a drug). That means it rarely does anything about supplements until they start killing people. They can be totally useless but unless they make you seriously ill, it is pretty much the wild west when it comes to claims. If you introduce a new drug you have to do real scientific studies to show that it actually works and doesn't have a bunch of really nasty side effects. None of this is required for food supplements.

Powdered beet root is a pretty good marketing scheme. The product linked to by the OP is made for GNC and the price for 150 grams (~1/3 pound) is $35. If you figure that raw beets are 87% water (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/beetroot) then the powdered beet root in one $35 package of GNC powdered root is equal to about 1.5 pounds of fresh beets. My local market had them on sale this past week for 50 cents a pound. Compare 75 cents to the $35 GNC is charging for the 150g container. Of course you have to cook and peel the beets before eating them so they are not so handy.

If you know the properties of nitrous oxide it will make you wonder how they came up with this claim. In it's gaseous form it is highly toxic when breathed in. If it was in the form of a gas in the package, it would escape when you opened the container so it must be in the form of an inorganic nitrate salt in the beet root. There are lots of peer reviewed studies advising you to stay away from processed meats because they contain nitrate salts for preservatives. There is a strong link to colon cancer. Makes one wonder how nitrates in beets are beneficial while nitrates in meat are not.
Old 04-18-22, 08:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I take it intravenously. Increased my VO2 max by 3.41592 %

Stacked with arugula, I am pushing 4%. Mahogany in the morning.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-18-22, 08:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I think I got some because someone recommended it for faster recovery. I drank a couple water bottles' worth. Didn't see any benefit, but the flavor turned me off.

Looked it up on the interwebs, and apparently the phytochemicals or was it cyto-somethings from beets are used the the scents industry; they smell like dirt. Beets themselves don't taste like dirt to me, but powdered beet juice does!
Old 04-19-22, 08:10 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Why?
Old 04-19-22, 01:46 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
What is the diff between powdered beet root and beet juice? Yea, I know one is a liquid. Really though, you can buy beet juice in the store so why would you need the powdered stuff? BTW, I did buy some of the powdered stuff and I saw no improvement whatsoever. Maybe it was me, but if given the choice, I'll just drink a glass of beet juice.

Now, this reminds me. Long story short. A friend of mine got on the beet juice kick about 7 years ago. Big ride and he caught up to me at a rest stop at mile 65 or so. Said he was in trouble. Seems he drank like a quart of the stuff the night before and was now regretting it. Yep, the good ole runs were making an appearance. Of course we all know to never try something new the day before a century, right?

Last I saw of him on the bike. We did catch a glimpse of him walking his bike up the last climb though. He made the cutoff to finish by 15 minutes. So, the moral of the story is don't drink a quart of the stuff before a ride let alone a century with 11k feet of climbing.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 04-20-22, 01:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Why?
Since you are obviously literate, try reading this: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_6

Here is the Readers Digest version quote from the Healthline link above, “can support the health of your brain, heart, and digestive system, be a great addition to a balanced diet, boost athletic performance, help alleviate inflammation, and possibly slow the growth of cancer cells.”

Old 04-20-22, 06:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
The ration of powdered beetroot to beets is 1 tablespoon of powder = about three medium beets. I suspect the juice is similarly concentrated. The usual athletic dose of the juice is 250-500 ml. From the performance aspect, the active ingredient in beets is inorganic nitrate. Therefore the simplest and by far the cheapest (it's so cheap as to be almost free) is to take 1g of sodium nitrate every morning. The best athletic studies in fact used sodium nitrate because who knows how much nitrate is in any of the vegetable derived products? The main noticeable effect is to lower blood pressure by a few percent. Studies show it improves performance also by a few percent, no huge thing. Studies also show it has little performance effect on elites, probably because they've got everything tuned to the max. However for us geezers who might not have the world's best arteries anymore, it might be worth trying.

When this data first came out, there were a few racers on BF who thought it made a difference indeed. I've been taking the sodium nitrate every morning for maybe 15 years. I have no idea about the performance aspect, but the BP thing is real and lower BP is always a good thing.

This meta-study has a good overview IMO: https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/9/3183/htm
Old 05-11-22, 10:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Now that I have been taking it for awhile and wearing a HRM pre and during beet root, I am still hitting 170+ BPM but do not feel as winded and seem to recover from long climbs a bit better before the next. Without trying, I surprised myself by getting 5 fastest segment times on Strava for my age group today. In all fairness, two were downhill. Can’t imagine how good the times would be if I pushed myself. No way can I compete against the youngsters nor due I try. Placebo effect? Perhaps, but I’ll take it.

Nay sayers can read CarbonfiberBoy’s meta study.

Old 05-12-22, 05:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,717 Times in 2,913 Posts
Now that I have been taking it for awhile and wearing a HRM pre and during beet root, I am still hitting 170+ BPM but do not feel as winded and seem to recover from long climbs a bit better before the next. Without trying, I surprised myself by getting 5 fastest segment times on Strava for my age group today. In all fairness, two were downhill. Can’t imagine how good the times would be if I pushed myself. No way can I compete against the youngsters nor due I try. Placebo effect? Perhaps, but I’ll take it.

Placebo affect is real, so why not? Most things I've read appear to link beet juice with a marginal gain (no idea about powdered form) so probably worth a try. Unfortunately I hate beet juice, so it's not one for me!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-12-22, 06:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Or those seeking a more exotic placebo for boosting their all important "performance stats" can read the recipe at:
https://myshakespeare.com/macbeth/act-4-scene-1
Old 05-12-22, 07:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I was drinking 100% organic beet juice for BP. It helped. These days I'm taking a time release med (Diltiazem) that works more consistently. I drink the beet juice before rides though.
Old 05-19-22, 03:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Something in beets is on my naughty list for kidney stones. Oxalates maybe???
Old 05-19-22, 03:20 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts

Honestly, I am skeptical of any claims like this without double blind clinical trials to back it up (anecdotes are nice, but not evidence, IMHO).

Have you got links to those studies?

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-19-22, 04:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,891 Times in 1,647 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Honestly, I am skeptical of any claims like this without double blind clinical trials to back it up (anecdotes are nice, but not evidence, IMHO).

Also skeptical. I worked for a .org publisher of microbiological journals for 20 years. Seeing the amount of scrutiny each submitted article was subjected to (overall, our journals averaged an 85% rejection rate) suggests to me that .com publishers are where articles go that can't make it through peer review in the non-profit journals.

On a side note, speaking of anecdotal data, is it just the older cyclists I know or do the guys who are way into supplements tend to be those who were big on recreational drugs in their younger years?

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-19-22 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-19-22, 07:13 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
I started a small veggie garden and grew beets for a couple seasons.
Anecdotally? Good energy source; liked the taste cooked with a little bit of salted butter.
No GI issues.

Tried beet juice from concentrate and powdered tabs and both gave be a lot of extra gas and bloating.

Conclusion: Go natural and do not expect miracles but include as part of a varied diet.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-19-22, 09:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Skepticism is always healthy. Finding double blind studies, the gold standard in my opinion, will take more time than I am willing to invest. There are many studies on the positive effects of nitrate on athletes and coronary patients to sift through.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21407132/. Read the citations below the article as well.
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/9/3183/htm
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29412076/

If you are skeptical then so be it. That’s fine. I have no dog in this fight. All I know is that I have found positive results which probably means I am not a highly trained athlete or am enjoying the placebo effect.

Old 05-19-22, 09:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

There's always the google machine. It works for me. Caveat: requires interest in the subject matter to the extent of looking things up for oneself. E.g. a quick google for "ncbi sodium nitrate" turned up this link on the first page: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245587/

It helps to know enough science to be able to generate that search term. For further study, there are 106 reference links at the end of the article.
Old 05-20-22, 09:25 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
There's always the google machine. It works for me. Caveat: requires interest in the subject matter to the extent of looking things up for oneself. E.g. a quick google for "ncbi sodium nitrate" turned up this link on the first page: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245587/

It helps to know enough science to be able to generate that search term. For further study, there are 106 reference links at the end of the article.
Interesting! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.