Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cannot "anchor" bike rack in apartment

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 08:44 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Moving to a new apartment. During visit of the unit, the landlord agreed to allow storage in it. Initially he wanted me to lock them to a rack in the underground garage. Told him that was a deal breaker. He relented and I told him there were drill free options, citing ceiling to floor tension rack as an example.

The lease states storage must not anchor to walls, floors and ceilings. And then he sent me photos of bike repair stands. I haven't responded. Bike repair stands are not ideal for bike storage for 2 bikesnor are they particularly space efficient.

I'm going to interpret "not anchored" as in not drilling in screws. What are good options for 2 bikes that will keep the apartment in good condition? I have 2 elderly cats, they are pretty much sedentary at this stąge but want to keep them in mind. Need rack that will stand up to cats possibly bumping into it.

Will tension racks and gravity racks hold up wuth light accidental touches? Are the contact points padded to avoid scuffing of the surface? I'm also considering velosocks too.

The guy seems to be a little anal retentive about this so I'm trying to cover the bases.
Old 03-13-23, 06:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I know I did not answer your question, but don't forget about those days it rained on your way home.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/baggmuc...gray-60329711/

I used to store two bikes in my front entry way on the floor, but I have not seen the stand that I used available for sale for years, have no idea if it is still sold. The front wheel of each bike went into it.

But from your question, it sounds like you want to keep the bikes one above the other up off of the floor, so the stand I used might not meet your criteria.
Old 03-13-23, 06:53 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
IMHO a gravity rack will do just fine especially if one bike is always there putting weight on it.
Old 03-13-23, 06:57 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
One thing to try is a cement block sitting behine the stand with a strap to the top- basically and anchor.
For static racks, this may be enough to counter balance the weight of same bicycles.
You could also use 2(3) blocks to counterbalance heavier bicycles.
rusty
Old 03-13-23, 06:59 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
why can't you just lean the bike against a wall and call it a day?
seems like a tempest in a teapot to me...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-13-23, 08:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Just assume you won't get your deposit back when you leave.
Old 03-13-23, 08:20 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Ta-Da!

Delta Design Upright Freestanding 2-Bike Storage Rack | Perigold
Old 03-13-23, 09:12 AM
tdonline

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
why can't you just lean the bike against a wall and call it a day?
seems like a tempest in a teapot to me...
That's what I do currently because my landlord allows me to store my bikes in the tiny secure lobby. I'm moving to big apartment building and I can't leave my bikes outside my unit.

Parking 2 bikes against the wall in the new modestly sized apartment would take up a lot of usable space.
Old 03-13-23, 09:14 AM
tdonline

Edit: I'm considering the gravity rack from delta.

Last edited by tdonline; 03-13-23 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-13-23, 09:17 AM
tdonline

Originally Posted by 100bikes
One thing to try is a cement block sitting behine the stand with a strap to the top- basically and anchor.
For static racks, this may be enough to counter balance the weight of same bicycles.
You could also use 2(3) blocks to counterbalance heavier bicycles.
rusty
Thanks for the alt anchoring suggestion. I'm also considering zip ties to a couple of nonsticky 3m hooks which won't damage the wall. Good enough to hold up against accidental nudges.
Old 03-13-23, 09:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If this were in the over-50 forum, I might ask what this has to do with electronics? Are you looking for a mag-lev solution?
Old 03-13-23, 10:10 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,739 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you're willing to spend $180 for a freestanding rack, I might use the same money to fix the wall (from the anchor) after using a cheap wall mount option? I respect the landlords concern, I would just fix it right before I moved out?
Old 03-13-23, 10:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Something like this could be useful, no?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-13-23, 10:21 AM
tdonline

Originally Posted by pdlamb
If this were in the over-50 forum, I might ask what this has to do with electronics? Are you looking for a mag-lev solution?
Oops, I missed the sub forum for non electronic items. Can a mod move the thread to the appropriate sub forum? I'll look into it once I'm on my laptop.
Old 03-13-23, 10:30 AM
tdonline

Originally Posted by base2
Yes, this the one I'm considering. Not sure why it's twice as expensive at rei than at Amazon.
Old 03-13-23, 10:49 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by tdonline
Yes, this the one I'm considering. Not sure why it's twice as expensive at rei than at Amazon.
Because REI treats it's employees in a fair & ethical manner & sustains reasonably high ethical values as a matter of business model. It also has amazing customer service & a more than generous return policy.

If you are a questionably honest person, you have the possible option return it when your lease is up making it essentially free to you. Try that with Amazon in 6 or 9 months or whatever.

Amazon has used ones for $30. Definitely worth the cost of admission, IMO.

Last edited by base2; 03-13-23 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-13-23, 12:08 PM
tdonline

I'm a rei member and am aware of the reasons behind their pricing. And I have supported them even when I could have bought a lower price. I have just never seen the difference at over double the price. And the Amazon listing is by delta and not a knockoff.
Old 03-13-23, 12:48 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by tdonline
I'm a rei member and am aware of the reasons behind their pricing. And I have supported them even when I could have bought a lower price. I have just never seen the difference at over double the price. And the Amazon listing is by delta and not a knockoff.
Oh, yeah. No worries. I'm a member too. Voting with my wallet, so to speak.

Only double where you are at? Showing $156 here. Thats TRIPLE! Time to break out that VPN connection

I'd still get the $30 Amazon used one & throw it away or leave it at the apartment if ever it was no longer needed. The difference is just too egregious for the likes of me.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-13-23, 05:15 PM
tdonline

I was rounding up as over double. Just checked, showing as 154 for me. You're right, nearly 3x.
Old 03-13-23, 06:16 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If this were in the over-50 forum, I might ask what this has to do with electronics?
Carbon bikes are pretty light. Maybe they can hang from a light bulb socket?
Old 03-15-23, 03:57 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
is it against the rules to just lean the bike up in the corner? or use this https://www.competitivecyclist.com/f...display-system I have two
Old 03-15-23, 04:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
20+ years ago, I used a rack like this made out of wood (still have it somewhere) in my small apartment. I had 4 bikes on it. It worked great!
Old 03-16-23, 08:12 AM
Silver Steve

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Sports have some really nice storage solutions.
I have a few of the wall mounted racks and they have been great. As a previous poster stated. You can always repair the holes before you move out.

If you'd rather not deal with spackle and paint, They also make a pretty trick freestanding option
Old 03-16-23, 06:04 PM
tdonline

That floor to ceiling rack looks great. Just a bit too expensive but it's pretty. This move is denting the checking account for sure.

The landlord made an exception to allow the bikes in the apartment. I told him I wouldn't drill in a rack. We came to an agreement. I don't want to go back on it.
Old 03-19-23, 10:26 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I've used the Delta leaning-style rack linked above (used to be called Michelangelo). My only concern would be the tendency of the arms to want to swing around and slip a bit. If I set it back up where I live now, I'll use some hose clamps to keep everything tight. I lived in the 19th floor of an old skyscraper that is mostly empty in the bottom half, and on a windy day I could hear the interior walls creaking and see the water in the toilet bowl move as the building swayed. I still never had anything catastrophic happen.

Landlord gave me back the full deposit, and even gave me back prorated rent for the month that I left. The next tenant paid $250 more than I did...

A note about the purchase from Amazon: The building had electronic lockers for deliveries. Each time it was listed as "delivered to locker," and nowhere to be found with no notification from the locker system. Building management wouldn't even try to look and locker company wasn't local. After three tries, I just asked for a refund. I re-ordered site-to-store through Home Depot, and that worked great and was even cheaper. Fast forward a year, and the security guard stopped me going out one night about three packages the building manager had found jammed up in the lockers... The look on my face when she wheeled them out must've been priceless. They must've put all the labels on a side that couldn't possibly face the camera that looks for residents' names and addresses. This all took place before Amazon started attaching pictures of the delivered item to delivery notification e-mails. I also had issues with small packages where the driver would put a small label over my name before putting packages in the lockers, but the new manager was good about giving me the keys to unlock the whole damn locker system to search for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.