Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stupidity and impatience could have killed me today.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 08:38 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts

But not mine.

I was out on a ride today and I'm on the shoulder of the highway heading into town. Coming at me heading out of town was a semi-tanker. Behind the tanker was a (stupid and impatient) woman in a crappy little car. I say this because the road curves to her right (blinded by the tanker) and is a solid double yellow line. Impatiently and illegally, she crosses the double yellow line in an attempt to overtake the tanker when she cannot see oncoming traffic. I see all this happening and I think she's an idiot.

But what got my attention was the chirp, chirp, chirp of locked up wheels behind me. I check in my mirror to see another semi traveling the same direction as me has pulled onto the shoulder (where I am) to avoid a head on collision with the idiot. He wasn't so close that I lost it or anything, but he was close enough to me that he had to lock up his brakes while on the shoulder where I was riding in order to avoid hitting the idiot driver AND avoid running me over.

I'm probably lucky I really didn't know what was going on until it was mostly over or I might have ridden off the shoulder and dumped my bike to get out of the way. Hopefully the semi driver didn't have to change his shorts and the idiot woman did.

Be careful out there.
Old 03-16-23, 08:48 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
jeez...

Old 03-16-23, 09:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Idiot for sure. Glad you came through alright.

Old 03-16-23, 10:23 PM
jalwlb

Bikes: Raleigh Gran Sports, 1979 Puch, first gen Dura Ace, 1980 Gios Torino, 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp rescued from curbside trash pickup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Accidents almost happen more than we realize. Realizing we could have been in an accident makes us thankful and keeps us humble. Glad you're ok!
Old 03-17-23, 05:12 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I've spoken to truckers occasionally, at roadside stops during longer rides. Tales of the nonsense they have to put up with from other road users blow my mind. There are bad truckers, of course, since they're human beings, but they deal with idiots who demonstrate a complete lack of awareness of (a) the existence of others and (b) the laws of physics, on an hourly basis (at least).

Glad you're still with us.
Old 03-17-23, 05:17 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Glad that you are ok
Old 03-17-23, 05:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
A&S
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-17-23, 07:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
One sight that'll never leave me was on a supported ride, when a cyclist ahead of me saw his turn coming up and cut from the right shoulder across the road to the left without looking back. I don't know when or if he noticed a flatbed doing the speed limit rolling down the hill behind him, but the trucker managed to lock up all eighteen wheels. I don't know whether I admire the trucker more for smoking all 18 wheels, or for avoiding a jack knife while he did it.

I think truckers bifurcate within a year or so of starting to drive. On the one hand are the "I can double clutch and steer and I am the big, bad truck driver," and on the other hand are those who quickly learn the basic skills they need and then continue to learn and improve over decades of driving. Glad you had the second kind behind you!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-17-23, 06:31 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Jim2527 here from the other forum…
Likes For miamijim:
Old 03-17-23, 07:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Jim2527 here from the other forum…
Awesome.... Welcome Jim!
Old 03-17-23, 07:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
The sound of locked up wheels behind me is something I hope to never hear again.

I use a flasher and mostly ride gravel and mountain bikes anymore. Maybe that helps.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-17-23, 08:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I was delivering newspapers many decades ago when someone passing on the shoulder nearly punted me into the next dimension.
Old 03-17-23, 08:51 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
glad you're ok, Thanks for sharing
Old 03-18-23, 08:11 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by jalwlb
Accidents almost happen more than we realize. Realizing we could have been in an accident makes us thankful and keeps us humble. Glad you're ok!
That would not have been an accident. That would have been a highly foreseeable crash. Accident suggests it somehow "just happened." Road traffic experts are working to get away from the word accident because it suggests "no one was wa fault."
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-20-23, 07:48 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
That would not have been an accident. That would have been a highly foreseeable crash. Accident suggests it somehow "just happened." Road traffic experts are working to get away from the word accident because it suggests "no one was wa fault."
That's a good point! I do all I can to be noticed and to pay attention, but not everyone on the road does the same... but in a case like this one, being diligent on your part helped! Glad you came out ok on this one.
Old 03-20-23, 08:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Glad you DIDN'T get killed! I'm always amazed how stupid some drivers are - passing on blind turns, or creeping past slowly when they only have a few seconds that they know they're clear, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-20-23, 12:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
glad you are OK
maybe get a mirror? I use mirrors (2) when I'm not in the forest
been watching dash cam vids from truckers on Instagram. I knew there were dumb drivers out there, but the extent & magnitude of the stupidity is amazing
however, what is also obvious, is that bad things can happen real quickly, & they may not be due to a bad driver
Old 03-20-23, 12:38 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Exactly. Hence the title of my thread. Had anything happened, whether to me or one of the drivers, it would have clearly been the fault of the woman attempting to pass crossing a double yellow line around a blind curve.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
glad you are OK
maybe get a mirror? I use mirrors (2) when I'm not in the forest
been watching dash cam vids from truckers on Instagram. I knew there were dumb drivers out there, but the extent & magnitude of the stupidity is amazing
however, what is also obvious, is that bad things can happen real quickly, & they may not be due to a bad driver
I do have a handlebar mounted mirror on this bike. I wasn't really looking at it though because I was pretty far right on a wide shoulder. Not so far right I wouldn't have been clipped by a vehicle fully on the shoulder, but safe from normal traffic.

I live in a rural area outside of Vegas, few bike lanes and few roads with shoulders. I use my mirror regularly on those roads. But I do tend to relax a bit more when I am on a good shoulder or dedicated bike lane.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-20-23, 12:55 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I use a flasher and mostly ride gravel and mountain bikes anymore. Maybe that helps.
Yup. I stay off of busy roads these days. One nice thing I like about small town life (I live in a town of 10k) it's not difficult to find a paved road with little to no traffic.
Old 03-20-23, 03:21 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Take heart. There is always the possibility that Ms. Impatient will decide she doesn't want to wait in line behind that truck stopped at the downed gate of a RR crossing, just as a Norfolk Southern freight decides to go by at 60 MPH.
Old 03-21-23, 04:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I did something similar when I was in my 20s. something really stupid, but not as dangerous, at least. don't know what I was thinking but the cop was real nice considering my stupidity

on a 25mph, local access road, traffic was stopped, just a cpl cars before an intersection. I could see the intersection but not 1 critical part, the part with the cop standing in the road. I got impatient & drove the wrong way on the other side of the line because I was making a left & it was right there. but what I couldn't see, was the traffic cop, holding up traffic. so when I rolled up to the intersection, he looked at me like I was nutz & put his arms up with a giant shrug. it was 40 years ago & I don't remember if he pulled me over & gave me a reprimand or what. he was busy & don't think I got a ticket

dumb ppl are too impatient & they do dumb stuff. but at highway speeds, on a blind curve? that's really risky
Old 03-23-23, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
When driving my car or riding a bike, I always look for an ‘out’ or escape route in case a vehicle encroaches on my space. I would rather run myself into a ditch than risk a head-on.

Good to hear you are safe. “ Let’s be careful out there.”

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-23-23, 07:28 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Today, riding on a two-lane road with double yellow stripes down the center, vehicles were approaching from the other direction, and the one in front slowed to make a right turn. A pickup truck pulled out into my lane to get out from behind the slowing car, straight toward me in my lane. Obviously, the truck driver didn't see me coming when he pulled out. I didn't get hit, but one thing that impressed me was how quickly it all happened. Before I realized what was going on or had time to react, the truck was by me. No time to react. No time to be scared. I thought of this thread when that happened. Vehicles are driving so fast that if a driver pulls a bonehead move, there may be no way for a cyclist to escape.
Likes For Random11:
Old 03-23-23, 08:40 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
OP, glad you got out alive and hope you didn't have to change your shorts.
Old 03-24-23, 12:35 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Random11
Today, riding on a two-lane road with double yellow stripes down the center, vehicles were approaching from the other direction, and the one in front slowed to make a right turn. A pickup truck pulled out into my lane to get out from behind the slowing car, straight toward me in my lane. Obviously, the truck driver didn't see me coming when he pulled out. I didn't get hit, but one thing that impressed me was how quickly it all happened. Before I realized what was going on or had time to react, the truck was by me. No time to react. No time to be scared. I thought of this thread when that happened. Vehicles are driving so fast that if a driver pulls a bonehead move, there may be no way for a cyclist to escape.
Indeed. But on the bright side, you would have never known what hit you.
Originally Posted by Korina
OP, glad you got out alive and hope you didn't have to change your shorts.
No, mine were fine. I think it's because I didn't realize how serious it could have been until it was over. It might have been much more frightening if I had seen it coming.
Likes For VegasJen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.