Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 09:28 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
lol. Yeah thanks for letting me use that thing too! Can't believe I bent my derailleur hanger on the way over :-|
psyched to put it to use. hangers these days can be pretty soft--doesn't take too much to do some damage. fortunately it's a trivial fix with the right tool.
Old 05-18-16, 09:35 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
I had to cancel Bristol for personal reasons. Just as well that the radar is showing snow at the moment (1 hour before race time)
sorry that you weren't able to make it. i was looking forward to meeting you.

yesterday i told @globecanvas that i passed through binghamton on my way south, and he mentioned you live there. for some strange reason i had it in my head that you lived on long island.

KSR for you? battenkill?

i'm tossing around the idea of driving up for battenkill before heading back south to north carolina.
Old 05-18-16, 09:59 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone want to talk me into/out of racing battenkill on saturday?

cons:
* it's ~4h drive each way. not a HUGE deal, but...
* i'd need to turn around and drive 4h back to nj immediately after. then sunday i do the long drive to north carolina.
* it's probably not ideal to do this and then race nationals (1st race on tuesday).
* i didn't plan on racing it, so i don't have wheels/tires i'd prefer to race. (i prefer to race a set of higher volume, slightly beefier tubulars. i've got a set of tubular wheels with me but with vittoria corsa 23s...and a set of clinchers but no beefier tires.)
* weather looks pretty damn nice.

pros:
* i've got a place to stay ~10 minutes from the start, with people i like.
* the course is the same as last year, so i know it -- and i liked it. no need/pressure to recon anything the day before.
* even though it may have fallen a bit in prestige, i have a soft-spot for the race -- and it might be the last year. last chance for me to drink that chocolate milk from the podium??

fields seem a little lighter than last year (maybe that is due to the date change, with masters nationals the following week -- or maybe a continuation of the declining trend, or the dropping of USAC status).

open to any thoughts. i probably should decide by thursday afternoon. thanks!
Old 05-19-16, 03:33 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
alternatively there are a couple of races that might be closer to this weekend to you. NJ masters RR is this weekend in south NJ, and there's a crit at a park across from the track in PA, which seems to be less than two hours from you.

Of course if you're heading to nationals on Sunday it might not work for you.

Last edited by gsteinb; 05-19-16 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 04:52 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When will you have a chance to race the "last" Battenkill again?
Old 05-19-16, 07:07 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Stay focused and on point.

Originally Posted by tetonrider
anyone want to talk me into/out of racing battenkill on saturday?

cons:
* it's ~4h drive each way. not a HUGE deal, but...
* i'd need to turn around and drive 4h back to nj immediately after. then sunday i do the long drive to north carolina.
* it's probably not ideal to do this and then race nationals (1st race on tuesday).
* i didn't plan on racing it, so i don't have wheels/tires i'd prefer to race. (i prefer to race a set of higher volume, slightly beefier tubulars. i've got a set of tubular wheels with me but with vittoria corsa 23s...and a set of clinchers but no beefier tires.)
* weather looks pretty damn nice.

pros:
* i've got a place to stay ~10 minutes from the start, with people i like.
* the course is the same as last year, so i know it -- and i liked it. no need/pressure to recon anything the day before.
* even though it may have fallen a bit in prestige, i have a soft-spot for the race -- and it might be the last year. last chance for me to drink that chocolate milk from the podium??

fields seem a little lighter than last year (maybe that is due to the date change, with masters nationals the following week -- or maybe a continuation of the declining trend, or the dropping of USAC status).

open to any thoughts. i probably should decide by thursday afternoon. thanks!
Old 05-19-16, 07:08 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Some would say battenkill isn't battenkill any more #trolling
Old 05-19-16, 08:52 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
when it's sold?
Old 05-19-16, 08:53 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sorry that you weren't able to make it. i was looking forward to meeting you.

yesterday i told @globecanvas that i passed through binghamton on my way south, and he mentioned you live there. for some strange reason i had it in my head that you lived on long island.

KSR for you? battenkill?

i'm tossing around the idea of driving up for battenkill before heading back south to north carolina.
At this point I don't expect to be racing until mid June. It's been an odd year.
Old 05-19-16, 09:08 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
alternatively there are a couple of races that might be closer to this weekend to you. NJ masters RR is this weekend in south NJ, and there's a crit at a park across from the track in PA, which seems to be less than two hours from you.

Of course if you're heading to nationals on Sunday it might not work for you.
thanks. i just checked it out and see that the NJ masters RR is about 1h from where i am sitting.

it's closer, though it's before 8am (i hate morning starts), and i'm guessing it's a less interesting course than battenkill. (not saying less difficult, but flat, 15-mile loops in NJ are probably a little less memorable than the roads used for battenkill.

i've been giving this some thought since your post. i think it makes for a longer sunday for me (earlier wake-up + race + not on the road until afternoon) vs battenkill (yeah, race saturday/longer drive, but i sleep late sunday, no stress, spend some time with family, leave when i want).

do they have a p12 race, too?

Originally Posted by globecanvas
hm. possibly next year?

i thought last year was _the_last_year_.
Originally Posted by bostongarden
Stay focused and on point.
got a message from a friend last night who is caring for another friend in his last days. who knows how much longer i'll have to "just" do a 4h drive for a great race?

still deciding but leaning toward doing it. 'on point' for me = 'having fun' with my racing. i'm not turning pro.

Some would say battenkill isn't battenkill any more #trolling
plenty have said "Battenkill SUKZ" every year as it is, right?
Old 05-19-16, 09:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

thanks. i just checked it out and see that the NJ masters RR is about 1h from where i am sitting.

it's closer, though it's before 8am (i hate morning starts), and i'm guessing it's a less interesting course than battenkill. (not saying less difficult, but flat, 15-mile loops in NJ are probably a little less memorable than the roads used for battenkill.
You're over selling it. It sucks so hard I can't even remotely justify driving down there to chase a jersey. It's a 75 mile crit course.

I'm doing the crit in PA which is a mid day start, and has a 2,3 race as well (my teammate is doing that and the 45+ with me).
Old 05-19-16, 09:18 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're over selling it. It sucks so hard I can't even remotely justify driving down there to chase a jersey. It's a 75 mile crit course.

I'm doing the crit in PA which is a mid day start, and has a 2,3 race as well (my teammate is doing that and the 45+ with me).
oh. i figured you were doing it. that is not much of an endorsement then (if you are serious). weather looks not great for it, either.

i won't be racing a crit mid-day in PA on sunday--just doesn't make sense for where i need to go.

sorry to miss you on this trip. so close and yet so far.
Old 05-19-16, 09:22 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

no, I'm not kidding at all. I hate that course, and it's about the only road course they use in NJ anymore. The road course used to be about 90 minutes from me, on rolling roads, near princeton. But it's been a number of years since they used that. The present course is like a 2:40 drive for me, without stopping, and it's an 8am start. It just doesn't make any sense for a guy the lives at the opposite end of the state.

Next time!
Old 05-19-16, 09:25 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

edit:

actually, what are you doing tomorrow? We could try and find a meet up if your'e free. We're like 90 minutes apart. Come hang here...meet in the middle, or something?

let's do lunch
Old 05-19-16, 09:29 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't Battenkill non-USAC this year, so no points up for grabs? There are a ton of people signed up.

I'm getting excited for KSR.
Old 05-19-16, 10:20 AM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no, I'm not kidding at all. I hate that course, and it's about the only road course they use in NJ anymore. The road course used to be about 90 minutes from me, on rolling roads, near princeton. But it's been a number of years since they used that. The present course is like a 2:40 drive for me, without stopping, and it's an 8am start. It just doesn't make any sense for a guy the lives at the opposite end of the state.

Next time!
I believe the State RR this year is in Montgomery (just outside Princeton) on the old course. Agree about the typical road races around here.. pretty much flat except the Giro Cielo course thought it's more rolling; less hilly.
Old 05-19-16, 10:22 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Is the road course you're referring to the one that was used for the Giro De Jersey? Half of it is rolling next to a river, there's like a punchy 3-4 min climb and a wooden deck bridge and stuff?
Old 05-19-16, 10:24 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
I believe the State RR this year is in Montgomery (just outside Princeton) on the old course. Agree about the typical road races around here.. pretty much flat except the Giro Cielo course thought it's more rolling; less hilly.
do you happen to know what roads are used?

a few years back Rutgers hosted a collegiate race that's 5 miles from where my dad lives. 13 mile laps, with a 5-min hill at the beginning of the lap and rolling terrain throughout. Would be nice if they use that course, but the roads are quite horrible
Old 05-19-16, 10:28 AM
notwist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the State RR will be using the same course as last year's Jersey Devil RR which might be the same as the Rutgers race years ago. Not sure if it will be exactly the same this year though.

The Jersey Devil
Old 05-19-16, 10:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by notwist
masters RR is this weekend. The elite RR is on the NJ devil course, which I've heard good things about, but don't really want to chase those guys around.
Old 05-19-16, 10:30 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

https://www.usacycling.org/events/ge...rmit=2015-2479

NJ Devil
Old 05-19-16, 10:31 AM
notwist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe so though I've heard there used to be a 3-day stage race in New Jersey. I was probably wasn't riding a bike yet at that time haha
Old 05-19-16, 10:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

The Giro de Ceilo (sp?) 2 day NJ stage race

Is the weekend of July 9th.

TT. Augusta Fair grounds crit. RR

The RR is in Sussex county

The old RR course I was referring to was in the Ringoes area, though the course has moved around the state throughout the years.
Old 05-19-16, 10:49 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
that's more of a circuit race course than a road race course though. you'll need 12 laps to make it 50 miles...

this is the course i'm talking about: https://www.strava.com/activities/4756597#89998538. They should really make good use of the hills that traverse Sourland Mountain Reserve
Old 05-19-16, 10:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

You should put on a race. The club that put the race on the ringoes course no longer does it.

In the meantime the elite RR is on the course I posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.