Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 03:27 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Print up black TR East Coast Tour 2016 t-shirts with the schedule on the back and SOLD OUT over each one.
Old 06-01-16, 04:10 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
teton needs a sprinter van.
Old 06-01-16, 06:56 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll second that. I met a guy last week who customized a Sprinter, which has a bed, bathroom, and kitchen.

TetonRider, that was an incredible journey. (FYI, my daughter has someone, also in VT, who flies over to Europe and hand selects Nordic race skis for her team. He has some way of knowing which will be faster/better; a true ski whisperer.)

Originally Posted by mike868y
Old 06-01-16, 08:40 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the Pro/1/2 Tour.
Old 06-01-16, 08:58 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
chapeau, @tetonrider, and it was great to have chatted with you on your way down to NC

also, the best part is gotta be the sleeping in the van (presumably for a night) before climbing Whiteface
Old 06-01-16, 10:27 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Impressive @tetonrider ... and here I am wondering if I should drive a couple hours to race in the Bay Area.

you know....it's all relative. years ago i lost my best friend at way too young an age; as a tribute to him, i would always find the reasons to do something, as he wasn't around. over time, that memory faded a bit, but a couple days before racing battenkill i spoke with a friend who was in the process of caring for his mother-in-law in her final days.

in his words, "yeah, but battenkill is only 4 hours away."

it just snapped me back to that mindset.

i've considered one.... so far too pricey, though.

Originally Posted by bostongarden
I'll second that. I met a guy last week who customized a Sprinter, which has a bed, bathroom, and kitchen.

TetonRider, that was an incredible journey. (FYI, my daughter has someone, also in VT, who flies over to Europe and hand selects Nordic race skis for her team. He has some way of knowing which will be faster/better; a true ski whisperer.)
is your daughter a collegiate racer in new england? she probably knows my buddy. there are no guarantees in picking skis, but you look for some things and can make some guesses about how/when it will perform best. a ski that might do well in cold, dry snow will be different than what runs fastest on ice or manmade snow or in warm conditions.

basically he gets to work with the manufacturers and pick from their stock early in the process. knowledge of manufacturer + ski + how a skier moves on the skis + anticipated use = a good chance the ski will be magic on the snow.

i walked in on him making cookies. plate of cookies + bike racer after stage race = a good match.

Originally Posted by shovelhd
It's the Pro/1/2 Tour.
amateur hour!

i think i was the oldest guy in the p12 field at killington. there is that.

Originally Posted by echappist
chapeau, @tetonrider, and it was great to have chatted with you on your way down to NC

also, the best part is gotta be the sleeping in the van (presumably for a night) before climbing Whiteface
totally! echappist was super nice.

i actually slept in the minivan twice. the first night i drove from VT to lake placid. it was late and the hotels in upstate NY seemed, to me, overpriced for a dead time, so i just crashed at the US olympic training center parking lot.

the next night i rolled into buffalo around midnight and had to be at the airport at 5am. i slept pretty well. i figured i'd rather pay another day of a (cheap) rental car than for a hotel. as it turns out, no one was at the rental place in the morning so i think they might think i returned it at midnight anyway.

@globecanvas ... it was more like a wegmans tour. i went to wegmans in rochester, buffalo, binghamton or some other town in that area, NJ, alexandria, harrisburg ...

so... turns out i am 10# heavier than i was when i left. that's not totally fair as it's an evening weight vs morning weight; it does make a bit more sense about getting popped on a climb at killington, though.
Old 06-01-16, 10:54 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ah TetonRider, Wegmans, frugalness, er, I mean being value-conscious, and cycling...what a great mix!

My daughter is a sophomore in high school who competes in races with college racers now and then, and she'd like to race in college.
Old 06-01-16, 11:21 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
My daughter is a sophomore in high school who competes in races with college racers now and then, and she'd like to race in college.
ah, i see. is she involved in NENSA. my buddy and his family have deep, deep roots in the sport of skiing in the US and specifically in that region as coaches, racers, directors and ski service.

the good thing about nordic racing in college: there's no time for drugs!

seriously, though, the mountains were so, so beautiful -- i'd never been to NY/VT in the spring. i could imagine who challenging the terrain in new england is for nordic skiing. i'd love to visit and race there during the winter.
Old 06-04-16, 08:03 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Dash for Cash crit today - p12 & 35+.

HOT out!

Made the break of ~10 in the p12, team mate bridged up solo. $10 primes for a bunch of laps in a row; I wanted to share them/not go for them, but one guy in the break kept snagging the primes. Annoying, but I figured he was just tiring himself out anyway (he was the strongest guy in the race). He ended up winning tho! Damn.

Teammate & I didn't work well together in the last lap, but he took 3rd so that was good. I got 8th, meh.

35+ two hours later. Hotter. **** that was a sketchy race! I might not do master races for another 10 years or so, not worth it... oh and I didn't even win.

my race videos
Old 06-04-16, 09:08 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Also dash for cash! Got 2nd in the E4 The group was reeling in a solo break sorta hard for a bit, coming into 1 to go, then the front of the pack sat up so I used that to launch a long attack. Passed the solo guy around corner 2 and just kept pedaling as hard as I could. Coming into the last corner again, my teammate rolled past me, and I was worried that the pack was right behind, but we rolled in 1-2 with some daylight between us and 3rd.
Old 06-04-16, 09:57 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
35+ two hours later. Hotter. **** that was a sketchy race! I might not do master races for another 10 years or so, not worth it... oh and I didn't even win.
there is nothing so sketchy as the cash-starved/deal-hungry masters racer! ;-)

i kid, i kid...
Old 06-04-16, 10:13 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
there is nothing so sketchy as the cash-starved/deal-hungry masters racer! ;-)

i kid, i kid...
guys do crazy things for $10 laps
Old 06-05-16, 12:42 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Road race. Lasted a lap and a half, accomplishing my goal. Made it over the longest climb close enough to catch on on the descent. 5.3 w/kg (125%) for 8 minutes. PR by 10w, PR on that climb by almost a minute. PR on both shorter climbs as well. Almost last one in, 25th or worse of 40. Guy I upgraded with out of cat 4 attacked on the climb that dropped me, held it with one other guy for the race!!
About 300 TSS
Old 06-05-16, 05:16 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@tetonrider It was really awesome to meet you at Killington, sorry I was in a crappy mood. Sort of hard when an A race goes badly, sorry that was the way you ended up meeting me but it was really cool to hang out and chat, and thank you for offering me supplies before we hit the Killington climb, I won't forget that.

As for Race Results, I didn't have an awesome day yesterday but we did get a teammate onto the podium. Felt good to work for him and help get the break out of sight. I think I pissed off half the field by shutting stuff down for the second half of the race (After spending the first half in a break). I think that if you don't get a few choice words when blocking, you didn't do it correctly. Of course I paid for that and went OTB on the last climb. But ces't la vie.
Old 06-05-16, 07:17 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ken Harrod was fun. I got my legs back (they were on a hiatus during Killington) and while some guy soloed the entire race for a win I stuck with the scrawny climber kids. I wasn't able to put my extra mass or aero to good use on the downhill run-in so I finished with with that front group - 15/74. I guess it's easy to say in hindsight I should have gone with the winning rider since my abilities do not include climbing.
Old 06-05-16, 07:19 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Passed the solo guy around corner 2 and just kept pedaling as hard as I could. Coming into the last corner again, my teammate rolled past me, and I was worried that the pack was right behind, but we rolled in 1-2 with some daylight between us and 3rd.
lame move by your teammate unless you planned it or something. I'd have been irritated.
Old 06-05-16, 07:57 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also raced Ken Harrod yesterday. spent most of the day frustrated and racing like an idiot.
Old 06-05-16, 08:06 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
White Plains 45+ NY state championship. Flatted, got a wheel, made the break, flatted again, out of the break. A buddy won the jersey though so that was cool. Lots of flats, I think guys let some air out expecting a wet road and the course is super bumpy.
Old 06-05-16, 08:39 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
White Plains 45+ NY state championship. Flatted, got a wheel, made the break, flatted again, out of the break. A buddy won the jersey though so that was cool. Lots of flats, I think guys let some air out expecting a wet road and the course is super bumpy.
That's a bummer, flats are the worst. I saw some pictures. Not wet?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-05-16, 09:00 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
also raced Ken Harrod yesterday. spent most of the day frustrated and racing like an idiot.
generally this is what bike racing is.
Old 06-05-16, 09:00 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It didn't rain during our race. There was some standing water on turn 3 which was an adventure every time though.
Old 06-05-16, 10:19 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
lame move by your teammate unless you planned it or something. I'd have been irritated.
Yea, I chatted with him after, he just started racing this year and didn't know better, and since it all worked out and he's a really nice guy in general, its nbd. Strong like ox though. He sat on the front of the m35+ 4's field for a lap and a half and then still sprinted away for first. Should have enough points for cat 3 now too. (Meanwhile I have 10 to go after only 3 years of cat 4'ing )

Last edited by wktmeow; 06-05-16 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-05-16, 12:00 PM
JoesInBoston
Love that dirty water

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Ken Harrod was fun. I got my legs back (they were on a hiatus during Killington) and while some guy soloed the entire race for a win I stuck with the scrawny climber kids. I wasn't able to put my extra mass or aero to good use on the downhill run-in so I finished with with that front group - 15/74. I guess it's easy to say in hindsight I should have gone with the winning rider since my abilities do not include climbing.
I was in your race. Good job on your result if you don't consider yourself to be much of climber! That last time up Oak Hill was quick. About 20 seconds faster than our fastest time up it last year in the 4's. My Strava says it was 6:35 at 4.4 w/kg. I finished 20th and was dingleberrying off the back of the lead group on the final run into the finish. Finally gave up and came in solo about 15 seconds after you guys.
Old 06-05-16, 01:51 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
It didn't rain during our race. There was some standing water on turn 3 which was an adventure every time though.
Funny, I don't remember water in that turn. No rain until I was leaving after the 4s race. Got into my car as the deluge began. I spent the first 5-10 laps of the masters race wondering what I had done to deserve this, and whether I would make it to lap 11. Then suddenly everything got tamer. I was able to find shelter (@globecanvas - No Shelter, Rage Against The Machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEoesmnYU4 ) and collect my head. I like masters races. Finished 8/?. Did the 4 race after. Everything was good because we manged to keep it strung out a bit. Crash at the finish brought an ambulance on the course, but managed to avoid it. 21/? All in all, nothing to have worried about. It was fun to be back out on a course I love.

Also... I like Masters races. Got to race with friends, old and new.
Old 06-05-16, 02:10 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
Also... I like Masters races. Got to race with friends, old and new.
I'm glad you had a good, safe day.

Masters races are tamer after the break gets away, at least that's what I've found. We're talking M45 here. M35 is like a set of guys that are mad because they didn't turn pro and they're taking it out on everyone around them.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.