Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Old 06-13-16, 08:58 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Hmmm. No women's races, not even an open race. That's a shame.
Agreed. Up in the air about it because of that.
Old 06-13-16, 09:35 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
woah i hadn't even noticed that.

time to fire up the #NEBRA twitter outrage.
Old 06-13-16, 12:54 PM
SprinterSmak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also a bit disappointed about that. Not that I would do well in such a hilly race but my teammate would and I would have been happy to ride and try to support her.
Old 06-13-16, 01:36 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
woah i hadn't even noticed that.

time to fire up the #NEBRA twitter outrage.
Maybe chat with Amos before the twitter shaming begins? Keep in mind he is doing two NEW races this year and might be trying to figure out interest level, expense, etc.

Edit: Read his description. Lets be honest, there is a chance this race could flop. He is running just about the smallest field count possible and wrote an apology. I think he deserves some leeway in his second new race in a year.

Last edited by dz_nuzz; 06-13-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 01:48 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i agree but i feel like at the very least he should score women separately. i think it's great that he's promoting two new road races, seriously, i'm amped, but still.
Old 06-13-16, 02:12 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Maybe chat with Amos before the twitter shaming begins? Keep in mind he is doing two NEW races this year and might be trying to figure out interest level, expense, etc.

Edit: Read his description. Lets be honest, there is a chance this race could flop. He is running just about the smallest field count possible and wrote an apology. I think he deserves some leeway in his second new race in a year.
I get it, this stuff is hard, and I don't think Twitter-shaming is a good idea. That said, I don't agree with the idea that publicly questioning a decision like this is uncalled-for. I'm glad he addressed the info in the event page. But he also uses language like "I'm sorry *we couldn't* offer any women-only fields," and that's a cop-out; it's not about not having other choices. There are alternatives if you can only have four fields that still accommodate women racers. A Masters field is basically a financial necessity, so that makes sense. But he could also combine the 4s and 5s into one race and eliminate the 3/4. Or not have a Cat 5 race at all. It's possible that Amos considered all of these options and decided that going with the schedule he did was the best choice. And from the standpoint of getting the race established, he might be right. But that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to have feelings about how it went and that it's unreasonable for people to let him know about it. The point isn't that Amos is a bad guy or something, in fact offering free entry to women racers shows that he is trying. I just have to wonder how appealing a free race in a men's field really is.
Old 06-13-16, 02:17 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That said, I don't agree with the idea that publicly questioning a decision like this is uncalled-for. I'm glad he addressed the info in the event page. But he also uses language like "I'm sorry *we couldn't* offer any women-only fields," and that's a cop-out; it's not about not having other choices. There are alternatives if you can only have four fields that still accommodate women racers. A Masters field is basically a financial necessity, so that makes sense. But he could also combine the 4s and 5s into one race and eliminate the 3/4. Or not have a Cat 5 race at all. It's possible that Amos considered all of these options and decided that going with the schedule he did was the best choice. And from the standpoint of getting the race established, he might be right. But that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to have feelings about how it went and that it's unreasonable for people to let him know about it. The point isn't that Amos is a bad guy or something, in fact offering free entry to women racers shows that he is trying. I just have to wonder how appealing a free race in a men's field really is.
Where did I suggest any of those things?
Old 06-14-16, 08:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
hmmm

harlem, greenfield, or lancaster

or maybe saturday, though watkins Glen has a 7pm start which means I'd get home at like 2am.
Old 06-14-16, 08:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I'm thinking Watkins but it also kills the whole day and like you said you get home at like 2am. It's a blast of a course though...
Old 06-14-16, 08:52 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My dad is in town for the weekend, but we might all go visit my sister in the city Sunday so there's a nonzero chance I'll do Harlem. Everything else is zero chance.

The cover photo on the "Cycling Pictures" facebook page (Yehudah P) is from my field the last time I did Harlem I'm just out of the frame to the left.
Old 06-14-16, 09:04 AM
grolby

Originally Posted by gsteinb
hmmm

harlem, greenfield, or lancaster

or maybe saturday, though watkins Glen has a 7pm start which means I'd get home at like 2am.
*cough* Greenfield *cough*

I guess it's a pretty long drive for you, though.
Old 06-14-16, 09:05 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

My coach may be at Greenfield actually. If he goes I'll probably be there, otherwise I think we're doing a Catskills death march.
Old 06-14-16, 10:24 AM
grolby

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
My coach may be at Greenfield actually. If he goes I'll probably be there, otherwise I think we're doing a Catskills death march.
Doooo iiiiit. I'm most likely to end up racing the 1/2/3, so we can be crit friends!
Old 06-14-16, 10:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

*cough* Greenfield *cough*

I guess it's a pretty long drive for you, though.
yeah, kinda long...which doesn't really bother me, but it's a early for such a long drive and only three places. Lower chance of rain than Harlem though. Good pay out in the 1,2,3 but it's way too late with father's day responsibilities. Wouldn't get home until 8:00 or 9:00.
Old 06-14-16, 11:03 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Doooo iiiiit. I'm most likely to end up racing the 1/2/3, so we can be crit friends!
It is close enough to assault East Hawley after the race...hmm...
Old 06-14-16, 11:26 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
damn if i weren't helping with course cleanup i'd totally join you for that.
Old 06-14-16, 11:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

It's a definitely maybe! Waiting to hear about what his plans are.
Old 06-14-16, 11:53 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to Anthony (RD at Cream Will Rise) and he verified that women will be scored separately from the men even though they will be racing together. So I'm going to try to whip up the cat 4 contingent to make a race for my wife in the men 5 field.. Tell your friends.

Last edited by Harlan; 06-14-16 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-14-16, 11:58 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harlan
I talked to Anthony (RD at Cream Will Rise) and he verified that women will be scored separately from the men even though they will be racing together. So I'm going to try to whip up the cat 4 contingent to make a race for my wife in the men 5 field.. Tell your friends.
hah, that's really great to see. hopefully people come out and support it. i'm definitely planning to!
Old 06-14-16, 03:51 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grump. I just realized that I have a schedule conflict with each of the next two Rockleighs and it's unlikely I'll be able to race Harlem. The following weekend is a bit thin for race options. Lou Maltese in Central Park at 5:30am with no masters field? There's a fun looking crit in Bethlehem PA but that's a haul. This might end up being a mid-season layoff
Old 06-14-16, 04:29 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the CR at Greenfield, so be sure and stay away
Old 06-14-16, 04:38 PM
grolby

It's about a half hour drive from Greenfield to the bottom of East Hawley. Somewhat in the right direction for you, though.

Originally Posted by Harlan
I'm getting a pretty good feeling about how Amos/Anthony have responded to concerns about women's categories in this race. They haven't been defensive, they seem to be really making an effort. Glad to see it.
Old 06-14-16, 04:47 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Grump. I just realized that I have a schedule conflict with each of the next two Rockleighs and it's unlikely I'll be able to race Harlem. The following weekend is a bit thin for race options. Lou Maltese in Central Park at 5:30am with no masters field? There's a fun looking crit in Bethlehem PA but that's a haul. This might end up being a mid-season layoff
Emrick is a damn good race. NJ State crit is the same day, and closer I think
Old 06-14-16, 06:25 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I'm the CR at Greenfield, so be sure and stay away
Mr. Shovel, you look great today. Hey, Mr. Shovel, nice shirt! Please, please, Mr. Shovel, I'll get that for you. I just sensed that you wanted a cup of joe Mr. Shovel.
Old 06-15-16, 05:10 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Checked out T-Town today for Tuesday racing. Was great looking, great racing. Some fast dudes for just a Tuesday night. Also did a ride beforehand. It was really pretty, really hilly beautiful farm land, almost no cars, it was great. I'm excited to be around here.

Do they still do the Thursday night crit nearby? I couldn't find anything recent about it on the internet.

Also is this race on your radar (as mentioned a couple of posts above)? https://www.bikereg.com/emrick-boulevard-criterium

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.