Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Orthodoxy Part 2

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Orthodoxy Part 2

Old 12-27-20, 08:49 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Orthodoxy Part 2

I'm sure that many longtime members of this forum were disturbed to learn of a possible misinterpretation of the serial numbering of Centurion brand bicycles. This in itself is bad enough, but it gets worse. Please bear with me, because this will take a moment to explain.

I am not a devout Christian, but have been a lifelong celebrant of a religious holiday known as "Christmas." One aspect of this holiday involves the exchange of gifts among friends and family members. In one such exchange, I recently acquired a well-regarded nonfiction book from a major publisher, titled Mill Town. Written by a former resident of Mexico, Maine, it examines the long-term health and environmental effects of paper manufacturing in the town of Rumford, Maine.

On page two of the book, the following sentence appears:

"In the deep grottoes of the past, the great polar ice cap melted into glaciers, and its calving mass crawled north, carving long, deep ruts that became the lakes and rivers of Maine." [italics mine]

Reading the above filled me with surprise. I had always believed that the continental ice sheets of North America's last glaciation had moved from north to south, not south to north. And indeed, subsequent research seems to confirm that my original concept was correct. As unlikely as it seems, it appears that the quoted sentence is--and it gives me no pleasure to write these words, not wanting to cause unhappiness to the author or editors associated with the book's production--flatly incorrect.

This is knowledge that we will all have to live with from now on. I hope and pray that there are no other books out there that contain factual errors. But sadly, that possibility cannot be ruled out.

Be safe, everyone.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-27-20, 08:57 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
I also object to the word "melt" as it indicates phase change whereas compressed, squeezed, extrude, etc would be accurate.

What this has to do with bikes, I haven't a ******g clue.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-27-20, 08:59 AM
iab

Unless of course the author is claiming the melting of the glaciers, from south to north, did the carving. And the water runoff did do its fair share of carving. Either way, poor writing.

Likes For iab:
Old 12-27-20, 09:41 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
But it's in a book! It must be true!

I understand that the Centurion serial # hoax is associated with an obscure millennial sect known as the Takarians, who purport to advocate for feeding babies tubular tires.

Old 12-27-20, 09:46 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
Yea. Scary
Someone told me about that.
someone should start a petition.
Old 12-27-20, 09:50 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I've heard all that glacier melting, climate change stuff is a big hoax.
Old 12-27-20, 11:17 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by iab
I also object to the word "melt" as it indicates phase change whereas compressed, squeezed, extrude, etc would be accurate.

1. Ice sheet carves river valleys.
2. Road system is later superimposed on existing river valleys.
3. Bicycles and other wheeled vehicles use roads superimposed on etc., etc.

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-27-20, 11:22 AM
iab

Originally Posted by jonwvara
1. Ice sheet carves river valleys.
2. Road system is later superimposed on existing river valleys.
3. Bicycles and other wheeled vehicles use roads superimposed on etc., etc.
Yet your more interesting places to ride had an absence of glaciers. Just sayin.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-27-20, 11:26 AM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by iab
Yet your more interesting places to ride had an absence of glaciers. Just sayin.
Yeah, no denying that. Plus the glaciers filled my fields all full of rocks. The bastids!

--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 12-27-20 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-27-20, 12:35 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Glaciologist checking in here.

Retreat is south to north. The advance maxes out 22-18 thousand years ago. While I don't recall the exact history for Maine, it's probably fully deglaciated by 12-14 thousand years ago.

The general cycle is that snow falls on the ice sheet. The weight of the snow compresses it to ice. The ice flows under its own weight (similar to watching honey level itself off on a spoon). The ice flows from the accumulation area (where snow falls) to the ablation area (where it melts and sublimates). The melting happens almost exclusively in the summertime.

As climate warms, the summers get warmer. Warmer summers mean longer summers for the ice sheet -- the time of melting is lnoger. The amount of melt exceeds the amount of snowfall causing the ice sheet to retreat.

This is where it might get confusing: the ice is flowing south, but the ultimate extent (what we refer to as the margin) is moving north.

Because the summertime melt is high during retreat, there is a lot of "excess" water that carves the landscape. We almost never see the growth phase of the ice sheet on the land surface because the retreat phase is so strong and it's the last thing to happen.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-27-20, 12:38 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by TimmyT

Retreat is south to north. The advance maxes out 22-18 thousand years ago. While I don't recall the exact history for Maine, it's probably fully deglaciated by 12-14 thousand years ago.

The general cycle is that snow falls on the ice sheet. The weight of the snow compresses it to ice. The ice flows under its own weight (similar to watching honey level itself off on a spoon). The ice flows from the accumulation area (where snow falls) to the ablation area (where it melts and sublimates). The melting happens almost exclusively in the summertime.

As climate warms, the summers get warmer. Warmer summers mean longer summers for the ice sheet -- the time of melting is lnoger. The amount of melt exceeds the amount of snowfall causing the ice sheet to retreat.

This is where it might get confusing: the ice is flowing south, but the ultimate extent (what we refer to as the margin) is moving north.

Because the summertime melt is high during retreat, there is a lot of "excess" water that carves the landscape. We almost never see the growth phase of the ice sheet on the land surface because the retreat phase is so strong and it's the last thing to happen.

I hope this helps.
Yeah, back in the day we'd pack up some snacks, hike up to the ridge, and watch the ice flow retreat.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-27-20, 01:02 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Yeah, back in the day we'd pack up some snacks, hike up to the ridge, and watch the ice flow retreat.
Did you ride your highwheeler to the trail head?
Likes For TimmyT:
Old 12-27-20, 01:03 PM
nlerner

Did you ride your highwheeler to the trail head?
Mostly but no trail heads back then. We had to bushwhack.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-27-20, 01:54 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
Ice Is Nice

I attribute any and all anomalous local glacier events to the "Glacier Mice."
(They field the blame for much here.)

Old 12-27-20, 02:05 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I agree Ergos are better than STI
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-27-20, 02:11 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 326 Posts

Deep Frozen Arctic Microbes Are Waking Up

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deep-frozen-arctic-microbes-are-waking-up/

Old 12-27-20, 04:43 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 154 Posts
Clearly the sentence is referencing the period when the glaciers are receding (it states "melting") as the planet warmed and thus the southern edge of the ice sheet was moving northwards (i.e., receding as opposed to advancing)....kind of basic earth science to all but the troll who denies glaciation occurred.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 12-27-20, 04:49 PM
iab

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Clearly the sentence is referencing the period when the glaciers are receding (it states "melting") as the planet warmed and thus the southern edge of the ice sheet was moving northwards (i.e., receding as opposed to advancing)....kind of basic earth science to all but the troll who denies glaciation occurred.
Clearly, it also states "calving", which is quite the opposite of melting. All in all, it is a ****ed-up sentence.
Old 12-27-20, 05:46 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Clearly, it also states "calving", which is quite the opposite of melting. All in all, it is a ****ed-up sentence.
True, sentence is poorly worded but calving is absolutely not the opposite of melting. Calving occurs at the edge/margins of the glacier, large masses of ice breaking free of the ice sheet, a process that can be exasperated by melting of the ice sheet. "Can" being the operative word here but don't get hung up on that. The original question focused on the movement of the glaciers (northward vs southward). As I and others have posted, it depends on at what period/point in time is being discussed. Since the sentence stated that the glaciers were melting that indicated during a warming period when the ice sheets were receding (i.e., shrinking towards north). Even in periods of recession, the glaciers still affected the underlying topography.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 12-27-20, 05:59 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
. . .

I hope this helps.

Very much, thanks. One of the hallmarks of glaciation near my neck of the woods is the U-shaped valley with hanging waterfalls. The Finger Lakes region has some excellent examples, but there are less striking ones along the Niagara Escarpment. In more mountainous regions like the "Canadian" Rockies (defined as extending south to Marias Pass, Montana, so including Glacier Park) and the western shore of Newfoundland they make spectacular landforms. These started out as V-shaped valleys but we see them today as U-shaped. I wasn't around to eye-witness any of that. So were the valleys scoured out by the weight of the advancing ice pushing the rocks ahead of it? ... or flooded out by the torrential meltwater during retreat? Until the ice retreated enough to open the St. Lawrence valley, "Lake Iroquois" (now Lakes Ontario, Erie, and part of Huron) drained out through the Finger Lakes to the Atlantic via the Susquehanna River. That's a heck of a lot of water. I understand there is some controversy around the shaping of these valleys and I'd value your thoughts.
Old 12-27-20, 06:04 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
But it's in a book! It must be true!

I understand that the Centurion serial # hoax is associated with an obscure millennial sect known as the Takarians, who purport to advocate for feeding babies tubular tires.

We need to bring back leather hairnet helmets.

I am also quite pleased that glaciers have melted, whether North to South or vice versa, as riding on roads is much easier than glaciers.

Last edited by stevel610; 12-27-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 07:24 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
There are books with confirmed errors or even possible errors, about glaciers? I guess there are. I expect very very few books could ever be perfect. I have no clue about glaciers. It appears some members do. My question repeats the one above from iab What this has to do with bikes, I haven't a ******g clue.

Wouldn't this fit better on FOO??
Old 12-27-20, 07:31 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
What I got out of this is we should ditch our gravel bikes, and find vintage glacier bikes, stat.
Old 12-27-20, 08:32 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
What I got out of this is we should ditch our gravel bikes, and find vintage glacier bikes, stat.
Corresponding rush on studded tires...

Old 12-27-20, 08:36 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The only thing I got out of the thread is that Canteen Dave must have died in a glacier drinking his Deer Park water on the Appalachian Trail in Maine. I haven't heard him hawking Deer Park water in a long time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.