Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Complaint about replaceable Presta Valves

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-15-21, 02:45 PM
72andsunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I’ve had bikes with Presta valves for at least 30 years. In the last year, two bikes (one new, one just with new tubes), started getting flats, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. I was never able to find any holes. After a few wasted tubes, I figured out I was loosening (or completely removing) the valve while opening or taking off the cap. I didn’t even know this was possible. Have Presta valves always been removable or is this a new thing? Why would I want to replace a Presta valve? Anyway, I’m loctiting them when I think about it. I’ll let you know how that goes.
Old 03-15-21, 02:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Do NOT LocTite them. They're replaceable because people damage/break them or they get clogged w/ sealant. Don't overthink this, just check them every now and then. If it were that big of a problem there would be tons of people complaining about it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-15-21, 02:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
I had a removable presta valve shoot passed my head when I went to pump up my tire. That'll jump start your morning.

Old 03-15-21, 03:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I had a removable presta valve shoot passed my head when I went to pump up my tire. That'll jump start your morning.
When I worked as a car mechanic learned to turn my face away from the tire while seating or inflating it, and to keep clear when removing valve caps, after such wake-ups.
Old 03-15-21, 04:24 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 72andsunny
I’ve had bikes with Presta valves for at least 30 years. In the last year, two bikes (one new, one just with new tubes), started getting flats, sometimes slow, sometimes fast. I was never able to find any holes. After a few wasted tubes, I figured out I was loosening (or completely removing) the valve while opening or taking off the cap. I didn’t even know this was possible. Have Presta valves always been removable or is this a new thing? Why would I want to replace a Presta valve? Anyway, I’m loctiting them when I think about it. I’ll let you know how that goes.
Don't tighten the top cap down so much. Just get it snug. The air pressure in the tire keeps it closed, the screw is redundancy. If you really tighten the top cap down, you're more likely to loosen the valve stem when you go to open it. Also, screw on pump heads are garbage for a similar reason.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 03-15-21, 04:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Don't tighten the top cap down so much. Just get it snug. The air pressure in the tire keeps it closed, the screw is redundancy. If you really tighten the top cap down, you're more likely to loosen the valve stem when you go to open it. Also, screw on pump heads are garbage for a similar reason.
Another option...Throw the cap in the trash. They aren't really necessary.
Old 03-15-21, 06:48 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Checking the presta valve tightness is part of prepping the new tube before installing. You failed to do this.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-15-21, 06:54 PM
AUPedla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 32 Posts
Rule #60
Old 03-16-21, 01:19 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Some of the plastic caps I have had recently for my Woods/Dunlop valves have tended to undo the retainer as I have attempted to just remove the cap.

Of course I would never loctite my Woods valves in because that would prevent me from easily releasing the air, and I keep the caps on to keep the crud from blocking the valves - but if you use Presta valves and never have to remove them then why not loctite them in, but I do worry that it might not solve your problem.
Old 03-16-21, 05:19 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
While some may think the plastic caps are not needed I think a bicycle that goes in for a tune up or flat repair should come out with caps as this shows the mechanic pays attention to such details. Some customers would be upset if their bike came back from service without caps.
Old 03-16-21, 07:29 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 363 Posts
I've had a few tubes that leaked around the replaceable presta valve and no matter how tight I made it they would still leak very slowly. So, one small dot of blue Loctite on the threads to seal it and all was good.
Old 03-16-21, 08:06 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I've had a few tubes that leaked around the replaceable presta valve and no matter how tight I made it they would still leak very slowly. So, one small dot of blue Loctite on the threads to seal it and all was good.
A dab of liquid electrical tape works well too & will allow for the valve to be easily removed in the event that the tube needs to be serviced.
Old 03-16-21, 08:19 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Checking the presta valve tightness is part of prepping the new tube before installing. You failed to do this.
+1. This is kind of a rarely talked about thing but I always tighten my presta valves when new. I learned the hard way when fixing a flat on the road with my screw on pump and unscrewed the valve removing the hose. I found out my chain tools' rectangular cutout fit the presta valve flats perfectly. This was the only time I've ever used that chain tool for anything. Check yours if you carry one as they are not all the same and may not work. Some spoke wrenches also work, not for DT nipples and some others but I can't remember which size works. They also make these little gems to carry with you and cheap. Origin8 Presta Valve Core Remover Tool - Blue Sky Cycling Your bike shop may have them too. I should add that since I've started checking the valve tightness when new I haven't had one come loose again. Just don't get carried away with gorilla strength. A light snugging up will do.
Old 03-16-21, 08:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I’ve kind of wondered why the Presta valve core is removable to begin with (although not all Presta valve cores are removable). And of course some Schrader cores are removable too. Why? Price-wise, and the trouble...it seems like just replacing the tube would be more prudent if there is a valve problem. On a big car or truck tire...I can see that replacing the valve core would be easier than dismounting and remounting the tire. But with a bicycle tire/tube...what’s the purpose?

Dan
Old 03-16-21, 08:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Also, screw on pump heads are garbage for a similar reason.
+1 I had Lezyne "Road Drive" mini-pumps on two bikes for a while. They were small, light, efficient and had a separate hose to protect the valve stem. However, they also had screw on valve heads and efficiently removed the valve core from some tubes when the head was removed. After a couple of frustrating roadside flat repair attempts I gave up on them.
Old 03-16-21, 08:46 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve kind of wondered why the Presta valve core is removable to begin with (although not all Presta valve cores are removable). And of course some Schrader cores are removable too. Why? Price-wise, and the trouble...it seems like just replacing the tube would be more prudent if there is a valve problem. On a big car or truck tire...I can see that replacing the valve core would be easier than dismounting and remounting the tire. But with a bicycle tire/tube...what’s the purpose?
Dan
I've seen plenty of presta valves get mangled up by ham fisted pump operators. Easy to just replace the valve which you won't have to buy if you save a couple from tubes that get thrown away. For bikes I think it's just the industry standard to make replaceable valves for Shrader and the bike tube mfr. would probably have to spec their own non-replaceable valve increasing the cost and as with the presta having a couple of old valves on hand is much easier/cheaper than tossing a tube with just a bad valve.
Old 03-16-21, 09:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
While some may think the plastic caps are not needed I think a bicycle that goes in for a tune up or flat repair should come out with caps as this shows the mechanic pays attention to such details. Some customers would be upset if their bike came back from service without caps.
I would prefer a shop not to add things to my bike, unless I specifically ask for it. Even something as small as a valve cap. That said, there aren't many things I need a shop to do that I can't do myself.
Old 03-16-21, 09:40 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Dan
Take a stab at how I know you haven't read every post in this thread...

Hint: #2
Old 03-16-21, 03:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Get some michelin airstop or aircomps.. none of that worthless threading all down the valve stem, nor removable valves.
Old 03-16-21, 04:30 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I buy only tubes with replaceable valves so that I do not need to toss a tube because of a bad valve. The rubber in the gasket that seals the valve is actually thin and fragile and go bad before the tube goes. Unfortunately the replaceable cores in Schwalbe tubes, made in Vietnam, tended to be recently bad right out of the package - that could be an alternative explanation, instead of the unscrewed cores, for the leaking in the original post. I have better quality cores in standby as a matter of principle, just like spare tubes or bolts .
Old 03-16-21, 04:39 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Another option...Throw the cap in the trash. They aren't really necessary.
I leave the caps on just to annoy people.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 03-16-21, 05:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I learned to deflate the tire before removing the presta valve like most of us the hard way....in this case it shot the valve and my nice new indulgent park valve tool flying, lucky I did not take and eye out. and I had to completely clean the shop to find the tool

though the little plastic jobbies wrenches that come with sealant work, the metal park valve tools is so nice

Old 03-17-21, 07:27 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
I leave the caps on just to annoy people.
I fit those thin valve retaining rings as well, for the same reason.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 03-17-21, 07:43 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
I search for Continental tubes BECAUSE they have the replaceable Presta valves and I can inject sealant. My Michelin and Vittoria tubes do not have replaceable valves. Most of my mid-range sewups also have replaceable valves, useful to me for the same reason, to add sealant.
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 03-17-21, 03:59 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I search for Continental tubes BECAUSE they have the replaceable Presta valves and I can inject sealant. My Michelin and Vittoria tubes do not have replaceable valves. Most of my mid-range sewups also have replaceable valves, useful to me for the same reason, to add sealant.
Also sew-ups are generally available with one length stem and require extensions and removable valve cores to use effectively with deep rims.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.