Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finding correct chainring NUT size

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-28-21, 05:10 PM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

One of the chainring nuts on my 2005 FSA G-2, 39/53 teeth crank is stripped to the point I cannot get the park chainring nut tool to properly seat on it. How can I find the proper size replacement? The nut is loose and when I stand up to pedal I hear creaking coming from the crank area.

Old 08-28-21, 05:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Which side are you turning? I'd think the inside would be what you want held still. If you are trying to turn the slotted, then you are doing it wrong. You should be turning the outside bolt with a torx.

I might be wrong. Maybe someone else will say.

Don't know about replacements, but I'd just go to my bike shop, chat up the mechanic or owner and probably come home with a free nut from their parts bins.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-29-21, 04:40 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by Iride01
Which side are you turning? I'd think the inside would be what you want held still. If you are trying to turn the slotted, then you are doing it wrong. You should be turning the outside bolt with a torx.

I might be wrong. Maybe someone else will say.

Don't know about replacements, but I'd just go to my bike shop, chat up the mechanic or owner and probably come home with a free nut from their parts bins.
Yeah I'm turning the outside bolt with a torx and holding the inside with the park tool. I guess I could take it apart and measure with calipers.
Old 08-29-21, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
The bolt and nut are probably somewhat crank specific in their external shape and size. So you might have to search through a bunch of them in spare parts bins of several shops. I've never had cranks with that type bolt and nut.

Is the nut turning when you try to tighten the bolt? Usually I only have to hold the nut till it starts to snug. But like I said, I don't have that particular type.
Old 08-29-21, 10:59 AM
lyle.coop

Yeah the nut is turn when I'm turning the torx. The slots on the nuts are stripped a bit so I can't really get it tight. And if I turn with just the torx the whole assembly spins.
Old 08-29-21, 11:20 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26525675784...pid=1775927467

You drill out the inside threaded piece and it falls apart. These alloy components have to be kept clean or else you end up with the problem you presently have.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 08-29-21, 01:52 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by RiceAWay

You drill out the inside threaded piece and it falls apart. These alloy components have to be kept clean or else you end up with the problem you presently have.
Got it out with the nut wrench and t30. Looks like I have to buy the whole set. When all I really need is one nut. The bolt is in good condition.

Thanks for the link.

Old 08-29-21, 03:18 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Fortunately, chainring bolt sizes are pretty standard. You just need to buy a set of double chainring bolts.

FSA does use torx and slotted backs. Others use 5mm/6mm hex. I prefer bolts that have a 6mm back over the slotted ones.
Old 08-29-21, 06:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
FSA does use torx and slotted backs. Others use 5mm/6mm hex. I prefer bolts that have a 6mm back over the slotted ones.
Same here. My FSA double chain ring bolt and nut set has both hex bolts and hex nuts. But all the single chain ring bolt and nut sets I have seen have the slotted nuts.