Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Victory RD Fix/Suitable Replacement

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-12-21, 03:17 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts

The Campagnolo Victory rear derailleur on my '85 Trek 760 has finally given up the ghost. The toothed bushing is broken, making the derailleur sit far forward and not function too well. I understand this is a common problem with the 1st generation Victory RD. Is there a fix for this? Has someone fashioned up something that will work, or will I need to search for just that bushing?

Seems more likely I'll be looking for another rear derailleur. You folks think it's worth buying a later Victory RD, when the bushing problem was allegedly fixed, or should I move onto some other period correct derailleur? Might like to try a Suntour Superbe, and I've got a Suntour Cyclone lying around that I'll probably use for the time being. What are some suggestions?
Old 09-12-21, 05:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,461 Posts
That bushing is a real stupid piece and Campi was dumb enough to use it again on the Athena. Too bad someone isn’t making these

I don’t want the competition looking for one but a SuperBee, Sprint or Cyclone would be, IMHO, a great replacement.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-12-21, 06:29 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
That bushing is a real stupid piece and Campi was dumb enough to use it again on the Athena. Too bad someone isn’t making these

I don’t want the competition looking for one but a SuperBee, Sprint or Cyclone would be, IMHO, a great replacement.
Priced out period Super Record derailleurs, and I sure won't be springing for one of those. Superbe is a leading candidate.

Too bad nobody has fashioned up a fix for the Victory. I actually like the looks of it and it worked pretty well for a good while.
Old 09-12-21, 08:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Good candidate for 3D printing.
there are a few here who know Solidworks - a good vehicle I think to create, but with 3D printing the decent return for machine time is to create a dense array of parts, fill at least the XY capacity of the machine.

in short, you need an array of folk to want one to bring down the per unit cost.

or, get it modeled and appeal to Silca USA as they are 3D printing products now, think titanium Garmin brackets at the bar and stem.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-12-21, 09:50 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Priced out period Super Record derailleurs, and I sure won't be springing for one of those. Superbe is a leading candidate.

Too bad nobody has fashioned up a fix for the Victory. I actually like the looks of it and it worked pretty well for a good while.
If you want to stay Campy, and save money, an NGS shifts as well as Record and is close to period correct.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-12-21, 11:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
The toothed bushing is broken, making the derailleur sit far forward.
Post a pic of the broken piece.

I use two Victory rear mechs, and both of those little stop pieces needed to be somewhat fixed. With one, I used a ball bearing, and the other, JB Weld. They're working great now. If you need to totally replace it, you can normally find them for under $40 online.

Personally, I like Victory. They can reach a 28t rear cog easier than NR and maybe even SR. And if your bike has a lots of Triomphe/Victory hanging on it, it's just appropriate.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-13-21, 01:53 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,461 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
If you want to stay Campy, and save money, an NGS shifts as well as Record and is close to period correct.
It is my understanding that pretty much all Campi read derailleurs were the basic design, even the vaunted C-Rec and Vic/Tri, until the Chorus came along.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-13-21, 08:02 PM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Post a pic of the broken piece.

I use two Victory rear mechs, and both of those little stop pieces needed to be somewhat fixed. With one, I used a ball bearing, and the other, JB Weld. They're working great now. If you need to totally replace it, you can normally find them for under $40 online.

Personally, I like Victory. They can reach a 28t rear cog easier than NR and maybe even SR. And if your bike has a lots of Triomphe/Victory hanging on it, it's just appropriate.
This is the kind of information I was hoping for. Was thinking about using an adhesive like JB Weld, but was a little apprehensive. Got nothing to lose, though, I guess.

And, yeah, I like Victory too.
Likes For Sedgemop: