Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 04-07-20, 03:05 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13689 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 2,496 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Suddenly classical music curious. So far, today, I've tried baroque, beethoven, stravinsky, and am currently listening to mozart. Frankly, I'm having trouble with all of it. Recommendations? Or is it just time that's required? Been R&B all my adult life.
Don't over-think it.
Old 04-07-20, 03:05 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28566 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by mwat
Time to try and make an indoor roller.
It is?
Suddenly classical music curious. So far, today, I've tried baroque, beethoven, stravinsky, and am currently listening to mozart. Frankly, I'm having trouble with all of it. Recommendations? Or is it just time that's required? Been R&B all my adult life.
What kind of trouble?
Old 04-07-20, 03:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Recommendations?
Get a killer stereo?

It's a bit of a broad genre. Recommendations are going to be a shot in the dark without more info. Why haven't you liked whatever you've listened to thus far? Is there a mood that you're looking for?
Old 04-07-20, 03:42 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I do wonder what type of filter we'll get run through.
I said I would come back to this, and now I will.

I think it's likely that meaningful interstellar travel is impossible. For this purpose, "meaningful" means "I can just get in my rocket/ saucer/ ship/ whatever and fly to Alpha Centauri or an even more distant star". Frankly, I don't think meaningful interplanetary travel is possible - we can accomplish briefly putting couple of people on the Moon with the might of a superpower, and that's incredibly close by astronomical standards. We can't even get soil back from Mars (though it might be possible); getting humans there and back is right out. Getting a person to a Jovian moon? No. People make the mistake of thinking "well with progress we could get there, technology is great". No. The moon is ~380,000km away. Mars is a minimum of ~55,000,000km away. Jupiter is ~588,000,000km away. The energy cost of that is beyond anything we can comprehend, and that's just to zip around our own solar system. Alpha Centauri? That's a cool 41,000,000,000,000km away. As long as the laws of thermodynamics hold, the ability to get there is zero. At all. And being a laws of physics thing, that holds true for life that evolves on any other planet in any other solar system in this galaxy or universe. The ability to travel across space isn't just like advancing from a Model T to a Bugatti, or even like advancing from a chariot to a Concorde. It's tempting, because we're really bad at understanding just how large space is, but we'll never just be able to travel even between planets like we do continents. The best we could possibly hope for is a tiny group of colonists with knowledge and rudimentary tools and someone find a perfect slingshot route to get them to Alpha Centauri and just hope there's a Goldilocks planet there that can actually be lived in, and that they manage to survive and not die of disease, or poison, or just finding that there's not actually life there to eat. And we'd never know if they succeeded or not. It's probably also not actually possible, but maybe that sort of perfect slingshot course exists.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-07-20, 03:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Texas is closing all parks today. I'm sure they're packed right now.

Fingers still crossed for the kitty.
Thanks.

Things like campgrounds and bathrooms were closed a while ago, but trails, etc., remained open. Not anymore.
Old 04-07-20, 03:52 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
what? Three people from your work have died?!
yes
Old 04-07-20, 03:53 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Heathpack
lol that’s what I said
so, literally...twss
Old 04-07-20, 03:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Seeds' way too broad question got me listening to Copland with headphones (bonus: kids aren't a distraction) while I prep dinner. Thanks, seeds!
Old 04-07-20, 03:59 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by BillyD
Spoiled, entitled, selfish, ignorant people.
Thank you Bill I didnt want to be the first

Last edited by ls01; 04-07-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 04:02 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by bampilot06
“Fork will come cut for maximum allowable steerer stack height”

What does this mean?
spacers will be necessary
Old 04-07-20, 04:05 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts

I think it's likely that meaningful interstellar travel is impossible. For this purpose, "meaningful" means "I can just get in my rocket/ saucer/ ship/ whatever and fly to Alpha Centauri or an even more distant star". Frankly, I don't think meaningful interplanetary travel is possible - we can accomplish briefly putting couple of people on the Moon with the might of a superpower, and that's incredibly close by astronomical standards. We can't even get soil back from Mars (though it might be possible); getting humans there and back is right out. Getting a person to a Jovian moon? No. People make the mistake of thinking "well with progress we could get there, technology is great". No. The moon is ~380,000km away. Mars is a minimum of ~55,000,000km away. Jupiter is ~588,000,000km away. The energy cost of that is beyond anything we can comprehend, and that's just to zip around our own solar system. Alpha Centauri? That's a cool 41,000,000,000,000km away. As long as the laws of thermodynamics hold, the ability to get there is zero. At all. And being a laws of physics thing, that holds true for life that evolves on any other planet in any other solar system in this galaxy or universe. The ability to travel across space isn't just like advancing from a Model T to a Bugatti, or even like advancing from a chariot to a Concorde. It's tempting, because we're really bad at understanding just how large space is, but we'll never just be able to travel even between planets like we do continents. The best we could possibly hope for is a tiny group of colonists with knowledge and rudimentary tools and someone find a perfect slingshot route to get them to Alpha Centauri and just hope there's a Goldilocks planet there that can actually be lived in, and that they manage to survive and not die of disease, or poison, or just finding that there's not actually life there to eat. And we'd never know if they succeeded or not. It's probably also not actually possible, but maybe that sort of perfect slingshot course exists.
Not saying you're wrong, but what's the energy cost beyond escaping gravity and having enough juice to power life support systems and your iPad once you're beyond useful sunlight?
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-07-20, 04:31 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by mwat
Time to try and make an indoor roller.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-07-20, 04:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Not saying you're wrong, but what's the energy cost beyond escaping gravity and having enough juice to power life support systems and your iPad once you're beyond useful sunlight?
Maybe I should have made it explicit, but that's part of what I meant in "meaningful". Sure, once you slip the surly bonds of gravity you can just coast to your destination if everything's calculated correctly (and of course you need to carry enough fuel to decelerate upon arrival), but when I wrote of "just get in your rocket and go" I didn't mean "and your grandchildren will arrive". Hong Kong is on the other side of the world and I can fly out there in a day, turn around, and come back. That's incomprehensible for just a century ago, and is the sort of progress that's nothing compared to what we need to even take a trip to Mars and return. The best-case scenario with unlimited free energy is constant 1G acceleration to the halfway point, then turning around and using the engine to brake, and... well even that's years to get to and from Alpha Centauri, and it's the sort of energy cost where we might as well just be playing make-believe anyway.

An analogy I sometimes use is, imagine if the only landmasses on the world are Cuba and Taiwan, and humans evolve on Cuba. Even if they invent boats, the chances of them being able to build a large enough ship to get to Taiwan, and get back, are basically zero. And that's on a scale that is much, much smaller than going interplanetary. It's much smaller again than interstellar, by factors we're really bad at internalizing. And it rains on the ocean, and there are fish, and there's wind. Space is basically empty. Outside of magical functionally-unlimited free energy (amounts of which would make that trip to HK take a few minutes and too cheap to charge for, and building or removing mountain ranges easy) we're stuck here. Unfortunately.

This also basically puts the kibosh on aliens, which doesn't stop my nightmares.
Old 04-07-20, 04:37 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by indyfabz
NJ has closed all state and county parks.

Kitty should be released around noon tomorrow assuming all continues to go well.
👍for the cat
Old 04-07-20, 04:38 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Just stream this - Radio | WCNY - between 10am and 2pm EDT Monday thru Friday.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 04-07-20, 04:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts

I think it's likely that meaningful interstellar travel is impossible. For this purpose, "meaningful" means "I can just get in my rocket/ saucer/ ship/ whatever and fly to Alpha Centauri or an even more distant star". Frankly, I don't think meaningful interplanetary travel is possible - we can accomplish briefly putting couple of people on the Moon with the might of a superpower, and that's incredibly close by astronomical standards. We can't even get soil back from Mars (though it might be possible); getting humans there and back is right out. Getting a person to a Jovian moon? No. People make the mistake of thinking "well with progress we could get there, technology is great". No...
300 years ago (or insert any period of time that takes you back beyond the 20th century) the idea of human flight would have seemed unfathomable (yeah, da Vinci, I know). 30 years ago, the idea of a smart phone would have seemed unfathomable to most (see TNG). Look at what the ITER project could mean to us. Putting a cap on future progress seems strange given human history.
Old 04-07-20, 04:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts
Maybe I should have made it explicit, but that's part of what I meant in "meaningful". Sure, once you slip the surly bonds of gravity you can just coast to your destination if everything's calculated correctly (and of course you need to carry enough fuel to decelerate upon arrival), but when I wrote of "just get in your rocket and go" I didn't mean "and your grandchildren will arrive". Hong Kong is on the other side of the world and I can fly out there in a day, turn around, and come back. That's incomprehensible for just a century ago, and is the sort of progress that's nothing compared to what we need to even take a trip to Mars and return. The best-case scenario with unlimited free energy is constant 1G acceleration to the halfway point, then turning around and using the engine to brake, and... well even that's years to get to and from Alpha Centauri, and it's the sort of energy cost where we might as well just be playing make-believe anyway.

An analogy I sometimes use is, imagine if the only landmasses on the world are Cuba and Taiwan, and humans evolve on Cuba. Even if they invent boats, the chances of them being able to build a large enough ship to get to Taiwan, and get back, are basically zero. And that's on a scale that is much, much smaller than going interplanetary. It's much smaller again than interstellar, by factors we're really bad at internalizing. And it rains on the ocean, and there are fish, and there's wind. Space is basically empty. Outside of magical functionally-unlimited free energy (amounts of which would make that trip to HK take a few minutes and too cheap to charge for, and building or removing mountain ranges easy) we're stuck here. Unfortunately.

This also basically puts the kibosh on aliens, which doesn't stop my nightmares.
They'll invent a lightweight energy source for propulsion and systems power lasting millennia right after they cure SARS-CoV-2.
Old 04-07-20, 04:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
300 years ago (or insert any period of time that takes you back beyond the 20th century) the idea of human flight would have seemed unfathomable (yeah, da Vinci, I know). 30 years ago, the idea of a smart phone would have seemed unfathomable to most (see TNG). Look at what the ITER project could mean to us. Putting a cap on future progress seems strange given human history.
I literally brought up that the jump from a chariot to the Concorde is nothing next the energy costs we're talking about. It's not enough. It's not even the right order of magnitude jump. But I know, math is hard.
Old 04-07-20, 04:59 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I literally brought up that the jump from a chariot to the Concorde is nothing next the energy costs we're talking about. It's not enough. It's not even the right order of magnitude jump. But I know, math is hard.
Unfortunately for you, it's not a question of math. Rather, it's a matter of critical thinking. The point is that what was once inconceivable is now commonplace. Orders of magnitude have nothing to do with it. It's more a question of the human mind. Multiplying zero by some other number gets you nowhere, so talking about orders of magnitude when discussing concepts that don't yet exist is pointless, no?
Old 04-07-20, 05:00 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
They'll invent a lightweight energy source for propulsion and systems power lasting millennia right after they cure SARS-CoV-2.
Ha. But SARS-CoV-2 might in theory be cured (maybe... they haven't gotten the common cold though). Unlimited free power won't be.
Old 04-07-20, 05:06 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Hell, I'll throw out a few suggestions, bearing in mind that my music taste is quite varied. My enjoyment of classical music varies: if I'm studying something and I really need to focus, I like Tchaikovsky (for example, I will just play this in the background:
) or Pachebel.
But when work gets annoying and/or I need some motivation, these guys are pretty cool (skip to 19:55 or 24:29 for really good examples of their work):
. Might be a bit too modern-ish, though.

Old 04-07-20, 05:23 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
yes
whoa
Old 04-07-20, 05:24 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
So this would be a normal thing to do then. It was listed in the description for excel, but not at CC. Trying to decide between the two.

Abshipp really close to buying the Cervelo C2, whyfii has been answering all of my annoying questions.
That’s what enablers do

In my neighborhood I run past a house that has a CTS-V coupe with a "Please be patient - student driver" sticker.
Nice. It’s my dream to rent a <insert your choice of exotic car here> and stick one of them magnetized new driver stickers on it while on lease. Of course there’s always more cycling stuff to buy for the same amount of money.
Old 04-07-20, 05:37 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have several suggestions. I'm a classical fan and have been running into videos of young music prodigies which has me entranced. The first video is of two girls, both who play both piano and violin at a high level. One girl, Alma Deutcher is hailed as a new Mozart. She plays and composes her own music and has performed all over the world.
The second video is of a very young girl, Clara Gibisova. Even at her young age she displays high concentration and intensity and an inherent understanding of what the music is doing.
I don't like everything classical. Most music is a product of not only the composers mind but of time and place. Some world class musicians in preparing a new piece for performance will read a biography of the composer and become familiar with the times and even the instruments of the period. This takes a bit of work and time.
Old 04-07-20, 05:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I have to make matzoh ball soup tomorrow, and Charoset. I usually make Charoset with apples, walnuts, raisins, and cinnamon. We have no raisins so I am going to substitute dates. I hope that’s kosher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.