Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Surly Announced Disc option for LHT. what do you think? CROSS POST

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Surly Announced Disc option for LHT. what do you think? CROSS POST

Old 08-25-11, 09:47 PM
amckimmey

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*Update with Photo*Surly Announced Disc option for LHT. what do you think? CROSS POST

**Update will just go at the top, after looking all day for photos of Interbike I found one of the front fork of the Surly Disc LHT, also surly updated there website with specs for more bikes(no photo on the surly site yet). Just a little bit of leg to show for now. More if I find some, or if anyone else has them.

Cross posted in Touring. HERE

Surly Announced a Disc option for the Long Haul Trucker for 2012.
I would just like to get to know what people think about this option and if they might think about getting it.

I will have to say I love my "Classic LHT" and don't think I would ever care for Disc. I do think its cool that they keep expanding there like.

**Fixed**
https://surlybikes.com/blog/archives/2011/08/

From the Surly Blog.
Disc Trucker

(no picture yet - but picture a Long Haul Trucker with disc brakes and you'll be just about there - also, it will be available in Super Dark Green, so picture that too, or black.)

For a very long time people have asked us to offer a disc brake version of the touring standard Long Haul Trucker. This year you'll get your wish. We'll offer both frameset and complete bike in EITHER a disc brake OR a cantilever/v-brake version. Sure, that makes our lives a little more complex and gives you one more decision to make, but we're cool with that. We did not simply slap some disc tabs on the LHT. Instead, we will offer the disc-specific version for those who do and the classic version for those of us who like the classic lines and unencumbered silouette of the current model. Have your cake and also eat it (if you want a second bike). All current sizes and wheel options will be available with disc or without.

Both disc and non-disc LHT models will ALSO NOW BE AVAILABLE IN A SUPER BIG 64cm SIZE for the tall folks (the 64cm will only come in 700c - man, this is confusing). The Trucker DeLuxe (the S&S coupled one) stays canti-only, 26" only, and blue.

Color: Super Dark Green or Black

Complete Bike MSRP:

Due Date: February 2012 give or take
There is a lot of other cool info about there new lineup in the post as well. Including the Moonlander and Troll Complete

Last edited by amckimmey; 09-15-11 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Updating photo
Old 08-25-11, 10:36 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Old 08-25-11, 11:04 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Discs on an LHT?! Next stop, communism or the apocalypse!

I bet it's not a super-popular option, given that quite a few people run LHTs with bar-end shifters and like to keep it retro-functional. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I am madly in love with bar-ends myself and am not a fan of disc brakes. I am just saying that a Venn diagram with "LHT buyers" on one side and "Disc brake users" on the other would have a pretty small convergence.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 08-25-11, 11:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
For some reason, that blog link took me to the July entry. Here's the new one: https://surlybikes.com/blog/archives/2011/08/

I like how all the tires are "tire colored."
Old 08-25-11, 11:53 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Might have to get an Ogre to go with my Troll.
Old 08-26-11, 04:11 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@bigbenaugust----do discs only work with brifters?

I think the disc option is a good idea, but discs have a drawback for tourists. I can see discs being a good option for a heavily loaded LHT, or one pulling a BoB trailer. More stopping power is always better, and discs do perform better in the wet.

Downside, of course, is parts availability. I can buy new cantilever pads at a Wal-Mart. The same can't be said for discs, but just how often are new canti pads a dire emergency?

I like the idea of discs on the LHT. Good job, Surly!
Old 08-26-11, 05:45 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Always great to have more choice, but I do scratch my head on their choice for the LHT to get disc option ahead or instead of the CrossCheck.
Old 08-26-11, 06:08 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This just expanded my list of possible new next-commuter-bike builds.
Old 08-26-11, 08:33 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big disc fan. I used to rock centerpulls on my late '70's Ross Proffesional Gran Tour II, IMO, Discs are so much better.

Last edited by xtrajack; 08-26-11 at 08:34 AM. Reason: forgot a word.
Old 08-26-11, 09:14 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think touring frames should come with mounts for cantilever and disk brakes both. Leave it up to the rider to choose what he wants. Norco does this with their touring frame, as does Thorn.
Old 08-26-11, 10:43 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! I'm swapping my current frame out for sure when this comes out.
Old 08-26-11, 11:53 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
@bigbenaugust----do discs only work with brifters?
I like the idea of discs on the LHT. Good job, Surly!
They make road discs that will pull with any road lever.
My issue with discs is the difficulty in keeping them functional day-in and day-out when they require such narrow tolerances and any warp at all turns them into a noisy nuisance. When I had a disc-equipped bike, I spent far more time fussing with them than I did either cantis or V-brakes on my other bikes.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 08-26-11, 12:42 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
They make road discs that will pull with any road lever.
My issue with discs is the difficulty in keeping them functional day-in and day-out when they require such narrow tolerances and any warp at all turns them into a noisy nuisance. When I had a disc-equipped bike, I spent far more time fussing with them than I did either cantis or V-brakes on my other bikes.
I don't want to derail this thread, but most people having problems with disc brakes don't know how to properly set up the brakes, don't know how maintain them, or both. I've been running mech and hydro disc brakes for years, and although initially one does need to learn setup and maintenance, there are no "noisy nuisance" issues as you claim.

I remove my front wheel daily to transport, and change wheelsets frequently, without any adjustment needed. The benefit of disc brakes vastly outweighs the time it takes to learn proper setup and maintenance.
Old 08-26-11, 01:48 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
BB7's rock
Old 08-26-11, 02:36 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, personally, love disc brakes. My SOMA Saga had canti's, and even with upgraded pads, levers, and cables/housing, the stopping was nowhere near as powerful as the (road) BB7s on my Salsa Vaya. Sure, it can be a little more complicated selecting racks/fenders with discs, but the additional stopping power/control is worth it in my book.
Old 08-26-11, 02:56 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
If I were planning on doing fully loaded, cross-country touring, that would be my pick.
Old 08-26-11, 03:17 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I remove my front wheel daily to transport, and change wheelsets frequently, without any adjustment needed.
That's one of the crazy things about discs. It actually takes a little longer to remove wheels through cantis or V-brakes if I include the time it takes to pop them open.
Old 08-26-11, 05:11 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I was kinda miffed, actually, when I read that blog. I would have built my LHT with disks if I'd had the choice. Oh well.

The new tire and rim lineup looks killer, too bad they cost so much.
Old 08-26-11, 05:41 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I don't want to derail this thread, but most people having problems with disc brakes don't know how to properly set up the brakes, don't know how maintain them, or both.
This. I run a free bike clinic at my local farmer's market,and I've never had the issues with my discs that I've had with various rim brakes at the clinic. It also amazes me that some shops can't handle them;I've had to fix the brakes on three brand new bikes because they weren't set up properly by the LBS,one shop didn't even mount the front caliper straight.

I'm surprised more touring bikes don't have them. The pads last way longer,and braking isn't effected by a wheel that's not perfectly true.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-26-11, 07:42 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rocky Mountain told me that they won't be sending any Sherpas (Why? Right after I learn the thing exists I find I can't buy it.) to the U.S. next year, so I'm pretty much down to an LHT or a Fargo.

I have to say that since installing the Kool Stop salmon pads, I'm pretty happy with my ability to stop in the wet with my cantilevers, so disks by themselves would not be that big of a seller for me. But they won't hurt either.
Old 08-26-11, 09:16 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I can see that some might want the discs. I would not and if I could not get my LHT without all of the ugly add on attachment points for discs, then it is no longer on my love list. Love my Cross Check, don't want no stink'n discs.

LC
Old 08-26-11, 09:51 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I wonder if the fact that Salsa offers a couple of steel bikes with discs forced their hand. I could never figure out why they wouldn't make them available on the CrossCheck or the LHT until recently.

Not too long ago I read a blog post from one the Surly people saying the reason they didn't put disc tabs on the CC is that they'd have to radically alter the design of the fork, - and they liked the fork the way it was.
Old 08-26-11, 10:29 PM
amckimmey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I wonder if the fact that Salsa offers a couple of steel bikes with discs forced their hand. I could never figure out why they wouldn't make them available on the CrossCheck or the LHT until recently.

Not too long ago I read a blog post from one the Surly people saying the reason they didn't put disc tabs on the CC is that they'd have to radically alter the design of the fork, - and they liked the fork the way it was.
If you didnt know Salsa and Surly are both QBP companys so in some ways they work together. They just have different goals.

They are having to alter the LHT frame. If you want get the LHT disc fork for a Cross Check but they might be getting a Cross Check disc soon anyway. They might just want to hide it for Inter bike. or just having figured it all out.
Old 09-15-11, 12:31 AM
amckimmey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after looking all day for photos of Interbike I found one of the front fork of the Surly Disc LHT, also surly updated there website with specs for more bikes(no photo on the surly site yet). Just a little bit of leg to show for now. More if I find some, or if anyone else has them.
Old 09-15-11, 09:36 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Interesting how they went for an ... angled I guess is the word fork instead of fat poles for fork arms.

It would have to be the LHT getting discs, not the CC, 'cause how can you do discs w/ those front-facing horizontal dropouts? And it's not a CC w/o those dropouts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.