Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my bike for Touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-27-22, 10:06 AM
Gaz_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hi All,

I usually linger in the classic and vintage, but today I have a different problem.

I've just got back from completely route 81 in the UK, I cycled from my front door to the sea over a few days, camped, the works. I had a fantastic time.

My bike, is a Trek 4300 disc from 2004, I bought it new in 2004 with my paper round money, and it's my bike. I have no desire to change it, it does everything I throw at it, and it does it all well!

I have upgraded it over the years, the brakes are BB7s, with a 160mm rotor, and the wheels are Andra 30s with shimano hubs, continental doublefighter hybrid tyres.

On the trip, my rear derailleur snapped, and I had to get that fixed, no complaints really, it was 18 years old and I'd done a hell of alot of shifting over the course of the day. But it got me thinking of things that are left on the bike, that are original and thus, may need a good service/replacing.

This led me to the from suspension forks. Currently, the originals are fitted, these are "InSync Grind 323"s which the internet seems to assure me are garbage, well, they've done fine, but after 18 years and no apparent way to service them, I'm looking for recomendations! When I upgraded the brakes, I did look into fitting larger rotors, unfortunately, the fork manual didn't specify a size so I left it as is. This may be another advantage of changing the forks.

So, a front suspension fork, good for touring, and good for a heavy bloke with a full pack. I believe it needs 80mm of travel to keep the bike level, the wheels are 26" Can anyone help?

Ohhhh and while I have anyone attention... I have a mad idea. Has anyone ever fitted disc brakes and V brakes? Just say to the front to help out down the hills?

Cheers for any help!
Old 06-27-22, 10:19 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
As a TREK bike store owner from that era, I can say you might be better served putting your post in the mountain bike section since you upgrades are more in line with your mountain bike, not so much bike touring. I can tell you that if you want stronger brakes/ larger 180 mm rotors, you will need (10mm) longer anchor bolts and four 10 mm spacers. Next time take an extra derailleur hanger.
Old 06-27-22, 10:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Not suspension, but this might work. They say out of stock, you would have to find out if or when it will be in stock.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/26...ed-matt-black/

You would have to verify that your bike as a rake (or offset) and a axle to crown length similar to this.

I think trying to install a disc brake and rim brake on the same wheel is not a great idea.

If you get a different fork, you probably will need to have a bike shop install your fork crown headset race. If you bought that fork, perhaps ask them if they could install the race you need on it before they ship it to you.
Old 06-27-22, 10:28 AM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Hi Headwind, thanks for getting back to me.

I can see that it makes sense to put the thread in mountain bikes... my fear was I don't really use it as a mountain bike, it's my tourer. So I was worried it would be big mountain bike forks etc, does that make sense? I wanted to know what bike tourers would recommend in front forks. I'm not offroading, well, no more than the cycle route takes, which is only ever really old railway lines with abit of hardcore.

In my head, I guess yeah, it's a mountain bike, but from that era when mountain bikes were kind of the do all bike.

Interestingly, it wasn't the hanger that broke, it was the body straight across the spring! The fella who came to save me turned up with two new derailleurs and a load of hangers, expecting to just change the arm and was some what shocked!
Old 06-27-22, 11:15 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
If you have a mechanical front disc, I could think of a way to connect a set of linear pulls to the same lever. There's one made with two cable connections, mainly for e-bikes to keep one hand free for the throttle. But I wouldn't do it or recommend it, especially on the front.
Old 06-27-22, 04:10 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I you want to put a rigid fork on it, you need to measure the (front) axle to the headset race crown distance (in mm's/ cm's). You are looking for a fork of that length. There is a name for that type of fork, I just can't seem to pull it up. _________ corrected fork??
Old 06-27-22, 10:46 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Nothing will make that pig into a tour bike.
Old 06-28-22, 01:31 AM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Corr. How rude. I hope you get a puncture at the bottom of a hill.
Likes For Gaz_:
Old 06-28-22, 02:06 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Wrong.

Hard tail mountain bikes are excellent touring bikes. Outside of America pretty much everybody tours on flat bar bikes. Drop bar touring bikes are only fashionable in the US.

If changing forks, I would suggest a rigid fork, as these will allow you to mount front racks, and 99% of touring is on paved roads.
Likes For Yan:
Old 06-28-22, 05:37 AM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Wrong.

Hard tail mountain bikes are excellent touring bikes. Outside of America pretty much everybody tours on flat bar bikes. Drop bar touring bikes are only fashionable in the US.

If changing forks, I would suggest a rigid fork, as these will allow you to mount front racks, and 99% of touring is on paved roads.
It is tempting to just go rigid fork. The advantages of the from pannier is appealling, not just for the storage space, but because with all the weight on the back I do find myself "wheelie-ing" on the steeper hills, so a better balance would hopefully improve this.

The argument against though is I tend to follow set, signposted routes by a company called "sustrans", who do their very best to avoid main roads, and will often use forest tracks, old railway lines etc. While these aren't pure mountain terrain, they are usually gravel/rubble, which the suspension definately helps with.

I guess what I was looking for really is a suggestion of a touring friendly brand of suspension I could look into, but I think I might have fallen into more of a debate of what a touring bike is. In my head it was just a bike I go a long way while on whilst carrying my gear!
Old 06-28-22, 05:52 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Old Man Mountain makes front racks for bikes with suspension forks, so that might be something to look it if you do stay with a suspension fork. https://oldmanmountain.com/ Also there are other ways to get a little weight forward. A bar roll would help a little if you are not already using one and those big cargo cages on the fork legs would be another option to get a bit of weight forward.
Old 06-28-22, 05:47 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaz_
....what a touring bike is. In my head it was just a bike I go a long way while on whilst carrying my gear!

+10000

you win the intertubes with this post certifying you get it.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 06-28-22, 05:53 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by Gaz_
It is tempting to just go rigid fork. The advantages of the from pannier is appealling, not just for the storage space, but because with all the weight on the back I do find myself "wheelie-ing" on the steeper hills, so a better balance would hopefully improve this.

The argument against though is I tend to follow set, signposted routes by a company called "sustrans", who do their very best to avoid main roads, and will often use forest tracks, old railway lines etc. While these aren't pure mountain terrain, they are usually gravel/rubble, which the suspension definately helps with....
can you load up a bike with a rigid fork and try out some of these trails? if not total moonscape, you may find you don't need suspension at all. puffy tires and some weight on the front can help with the bumps.

i've done all my touring with rigid forks, some pretty mean "roads" in cambodia and laos. only a few times i wished i'd had front suspension.

suspension corrected fork will save you several pounds and give you mounting options for easily replaceable front racks.
Old 06-28-22, 06:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
The solid fork I listed above in post 3 is a suspension corrected fork. But as I noted in that post you should measure the fork rake or offset on yours and also the axle to crown race on yours, as a replacement fork should have similar dimensions. And as I noted above, a bike shop might be needed to install the headset bearing race. I forgot to mention in the previous post, that you likely need to cut the steerer tube and would need to buy a star nut.

I did not look up your bike, thus do not know how wide a tire it will take. Wider tires give you more cushion.

Some people use suspension seatposts, suspension stems. I have never gotten much advantage with a suspension seatpost. A suspension stem, I have never tried one. But I have ridden on some really rough 4X4 roads on bike tours with a solid frame and solid fork, only using wider tires for cushioning.

There were times on this road that the washboarding was so bad I had trouble going over 8 km/hr, and that was with 57mm wide tires, but I do not think suspension fork would have solved that.

This road was pretty rough too.

That said, I understand the desire to have a bike that can take the worst of the surfaces you will ever ride on. But realistically a fat bike would be best on some of this stuff, but that fat bike would be a poor bike for your sections with pavement or tarmac.

This was another rough road on that trip. Tires are 57mm wide. I could have used a suspension fork, I have a RockShox fork that I have used on that frame, but when I considered how much of that trip was on pavement, the solid fork was the best choice.

Keep in mind your bike is 18 years old.

How much do you want to invest in it to keep it going compared to buying new?
Old 06-28-22, 10:45 PM
GamblerGORD53

^^^^^^ What the hell is the attraction in that bone shaking Moon scape????
Old 06-29-22, 02:26 AM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Keep in mind your bike is 18 years old.

How much do you want to invest in it to keep it going compared to buying new?
Oh man, don't be like that, my only other bike is 34!

I'll be honest, I've never been tempted by a "newer" model. I find my trek does everything I need it too, so I'm just trying to safeguard it. Like I say, so far, there's nothing actually wrong with the suspension, but when you look at the "triggers broom" of it all, the suspension is the last real moving part to change. Friends keep buying bicycles around me, and they never seem to keep up, and it's 100% the bike. And I think if I "upgraded" at this point, I'd probably just buy a more expensive frame, having had the wheels specifically made to take a beating.

My "but I've always had suspension so I need suspension" arguement is struggling against your experience abit though, what a pair of pictures!
Old 06-29-22, 02:29 AM
Gaz_

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I think I can lock the suspension. I think. I've never actually tried it. There's a fairly generic track nearby, which I could test it on. That's a nice idea, I'll get out the manual and see how I do it.

The other appeal would be getting a upgraded fork for a larger brake rotor, as a heavy man with a heavy bike, I'd really like that extra security going down some of the steeper, twistier descents.
Old 06-29-22, 04:03 AM
saddlesores

we don' need no stinkin' s'spension!

Old 06-29-22, 04:47 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I was going to mention a suspension corrected rigid fork. The only reason I didn't was that the OP didn't sound receptive to that. Now that a few people mentioned not needing suspension, I will say that it really isn't a necessity for the kind of use he is talking about. The fat-ish tires offer some cushion for the small stuff and your legs (and arms) offer suspension for the bigger stuff. You can ride any terrain without suspension that you can with, unless you are talking big air, downhill racing, or something.

I figure that the suspension fork is actually likely to be more of a detriment than a help for his intended usage. All that said, the rider likes what they like, so he may choose something that may not make sense to the rest of us and be happy with it.
Old 06-30-22, 12:09 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
Upgrades? I have actually gone the opposite way. I've got an old French touring bike which I have restored to original condition, including the 8 speed (2x4) driveline. I suppose the Koolstop brake pads on the old Mafac brakes could be considered an upgrade. The areas I like to tour have more or less modern roads in decent repair, and even the dirt roads and paths are not difficult to navigate. The only drawback to the 8 speed system is that the mountains are a lot more challenging to get over.
Old 06-30-22, 05:31 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The fork would need to be suspension corrected for a 26" wheel and an 80 mm travel fork. It's probably about 450 mm axle to crown, give or take. Thus, you could probably use a current Surly Ogre non-suspension corrected fork, because it's designed for 29" wheels and tires and has an axle to crown measurement of 447 mm.

The Ogre fork would be great for a touring conversion, as it has bosses for up to 4 cages, or 2 cages and mid-blade mounted front rack, giving you a lot of options.
Old 07-02-22, 08:00 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
If you have to ask, it's definitely not your biking territory. If it's not too hot, the serenity that comes from being there is incredible on a bike. If you don't see that immediately and try to bike there, you may need to be air lifted out to the nearest shoreside tiki bar to stay out of the looney bin.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-02-22, 08:25 AM
saddlesores

this....

Likes For saddlesores:
Old 07-02-22, 10:03 AM
GamblerGORD53

^^^^^ That's AZ, NM and Utah, nothing in common with those Iceland pics. I've been all over the western states a dozen times with the car.

Old 07-02-22, 10:51 AM
saddlesores

^^^^^ That's AZ, NM and Utah, nothing in common with those Iceland pics. I've been all over the western states a dozen times with the car.
this is the bike forum.
see post #18

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.