Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 07-02-21, 04:44 PM
The 2nd G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up guys!
Old 07-10-21, 12:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
My good deed for the day. I saw a timely post on the CLIMB FB page a few weeks ago, with listings for animal rescue agencies on L.I. I spotted this bird on this mornings road ride, seemed to have a broken left leg, it squawked at me from the gutter as I passed by. I was a mile from home so went back, captured the bird and took to this huge Vet place on Sunrise in E Islip. They told me it was a baby heron. There were 3 huge nests in the tree where I found it. The Vet said they likely could save it and know where to return it, possibly.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-10-21, 06:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Over the past week I was hearing a "clicking" sound coming from either the bottom bracket or pedals. I tried to pedal with only one foot at a time to determine if it was a pedal but with no luck. So yesterday I decided to nuke it bay cleaning the pedals and cleats and then apply some Finish Line cleat dressing. I also R&R the crank and greased the bearings, which was last done over the winter and 2000 miles ago.

Today i went for a ride and ... silence.

Strong wind out of the north for the early morning so I headed north to Oyster Bay and had a fast ride back.
Old 07-14-21, 12:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Did a long one... Massapequa to Oyster Bay to Captree to Massapequa, 82 miles.

It was really humid and the air was heavy but there was almost no wind so it wasn't a fight all the way back.
Old 07-15-21, 01:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

So, riding north on the Bethpage path when I almost eat a bug. Except it got caught in my mustache, so as I went to pull it out... it stung me in the lip.

Not sure what it was but after a few minutes the pain went away and it's only slightly swollen.

I've had bugs in my nose, in my helmet and swallowed a few but this is the first time I got stung.
Old 07-18-21, 07:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

How everyone doing dealing with the heat and humidity?

This morning was brutal.
Old 07-18-21, 07:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by GlennR

This morning was brutal.
I went out early enough that it was still very cloudy and didnt heat up. I'm hating the humidity and have backed down my distance and effort level
Old 07-18-21, 07:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I went out early enough that it was still very cloudy and didnt heat up. I'm hating the humidity and have backed down my distance and effort level
I'm out by 7:00am but not always back before 11:00am when it gets oppressive.
Old 07-19-21, 03:59 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts

This morning was brutal.
I went out around 7:00 PM. Switched bikes because of stripped threads on the Giant’s fork/steerer tube. But got some photos at least, as the Giant doesn’t have a mount for the camera.

Old 07-19-21, 10:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts

This morning was brutal.
Mostly hiding from it. Did get a 30miler in last week just after the storm, there was a tree down on the Massapequa trail that had to be climbed over and other areas that required slowing but not bad. Mostly retreated into the woods with 3 mtb rides including a fast on with my daughter on her new(ish) C-dale MTB, don't know how or when she got big enough to need a 26" wheel 15" frame bike but I'm not liking the current growth trajectory; too big too fast.
But not as much riding as I'd like since I had to take my middle kid to Shoreham on thurs for a BMX race and I'm at TTown where the girl is racing 11-12yo Jr Track Nationals.
Old 07-20-21, 06:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
there was a tree down on the Massapequa trail that had to be climbed over
Yes, about 100 yards south of Linden. The preserve is a mess with trees down all over the place. Not sure if the town or county is responsible but the stream is clogged with debris and down trees.
Old 07-20-21, 07:45 AM
Steve B.

Yes, about 100 yards south of Linden. The preserve is a mess with trees down all over the place. Not sure if the town or county is responsible but the stream is clogged with debris and down trees.
South of the Southern State is Massapequa Nature Preserve, Nassau County. North is State, DOT. Till BP then BP state park, then north of that is state park - Trailview SP.

Nobody understood why when the they created the Trailview State Park, they only made it the section north of Bethpage, and didn't include the section south of BPSP to the Massapequa Preserve.
Old 07-22-21, 06:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

So I saw the new traffic light at the Old Bethpage Road crossing. It's 2 horizontal lights on top and 1 below in the shape of a inverted triangle.

Normally all 3 lights are off and the crossing sign is red. When you push the button, the bottom light turns yellow for a few seconds and then the 2 top light turn solid red and the crossing signal turns white. Then after a short time the crossing signal turns red with a countdown and the 2 red light start to blink. When the count down finishes the crossing signal turns solid red and the street light turn off.

So i watched and when street lights turn solid red cars stop, well maybe 1 or 2 still drive through. When they start blinking most cars start to move and just go through them even though the crossing signal is still counting down.

This just doesn't make sense, a single blinking red light is he same as a stop sign but what do 2 lights that alternate mean?

They should of had a standard red/yellow/green traffic light. Green means go, yellow mean be prepared to stop and red means stop It should remain red until the crosswalk like is solid red. That's how all the other lights work. that's how the light at Sunrise and Park Blvd. by the Massapequa Park LIRR station is. Imagine if half way across the red street light goes from solid to blinking while commuters still have a crossing signal.

BTW, they should put a red light camera at the crossing... they'll make a fortune.
Old 07-23-21, 02:08 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
This morning was brutal.
Definitely the spring/summer "of my discontent" riding-wise. I missed out on a lot of glorious spring weather and got back into riding just as the heat and cursed humidity settled in, due to my breaking my arm and subsequent surgery to screw the thing together. Returning to work has made if tough to get back into shape......I'm 2 months behind my normal condition. Lost another week after having an oral surgeon pull a wisdom tooth, not pleasant and the side effects of the subsequent course of antibiotics even worse. After all that, went out last Sunday, which was probably the worst day yet, and got so depleted after only 30 miles I actually got woozy and had to get off the bike. Should I get an e-bike??? Nah. Not yet.

Old 07-23-21, 05:17 PM
Steve B.

I mean come on folks, we are all experienced cyclists. We know we need to back down both time in the heat as well as tempo when its very humid and hot. Nk brainer and I for one look for any excuse to go short and easy.
Old 07-23-21, 07:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Just have to get out early. Past 2 days it's been like they turned on the AC.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-24-21, 02:19 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
FFFFinally a pleasant non tropical day, perfect for a 41 mile morning. What a difference. "Short and easy" when the heat is on IS a no-brainer but it's tough to make up for my lost time. I'm heading up into the thin air again soon enough and want to be as aerobically fit as I can be. I can't find any e-boots anywhere.

Old 07-24-21, 04:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Joe... perfect day.

I headed north to Oyster Bay and felt so good that I went down to Jones and turned around at Tobay.

There was no wind, my average speed from Cedar Creek to Tobay and back was almost identical.
Old 07-24-21, 06:18 PM
Steve B.

My buddy Kevin got lost Thursday in N Babylon, while trying to find a way home from out on the LIE east of the Sagtikos. We revisited this area today, found a really nice connection between the service road and Union Ave., down in Bayshore. We started at the park and ride at 110. Washington Ave., which becomes Brentwood Rd. Not bad, good shoulder most of the way, a 20-40 mph road for cars. Good connector and this was a nice loop.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/718685...mQOuIDoAOn7WAg
Old 07-27-21, 05:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Was riding back from Tobay when I clicked in and heard a "snap" rather than a click.

The carbon leaf spring broke. Luckily I was able to pedal home with little impact on my average speed. I've already ordered a replacement leaf spring kit and will have it Saturday. I also have a spare set of Look pedals so I won't miss any riding.

And this is after I replaced a worn tire, a worn chain and the cassette over the weekend.
Old 07-27-21, 09:11 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

This morning was a great day for getting out, met up with a work acquaintance at Captree and we got in 30 miles total. Captree to field 5 was into what little wind there was, which seemed to be just enough to keep the ride cool. Guy I was riding with rides at a slower pace on a much older and lesser maintained bike so we held an easy 14.5mph avg going both ways which only showed how little the breeze was.
On Sat a space opened up in the Randall's Island Crit so I signed up. They seem to have a pull if you're lapped policy due to safety issues so I only managed to stay in for 1/3 the time. Still better then my last crit but clearly I still need to ride more and eat less. Guess I'm going to have to stick to velodrome racing till cross season starts.
Old 08-02-21, 04:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Today was a Top 10, cool temps, low humidity and mild breeze.
Old 08-02-21, 07:25 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Went to Carle Place today. Part of Westbury Avenue has fresh asphalt, very nice.
Old 08-02-21, 07:27 PM
hotbike

Cherry Lane , CarlePlace
Old 08-02-21, 10:21 PM
Russ Roth

Finally made it to Glacier Ridge for a MTB ride; not certain why everything is a black diamond except the main loop. Didn't find anything I would consider technical enough to be a black but without exception its my new favorite mtb place on the island. Just fast and flowy but you definitely have to be in shape to ride it with all the climbs. I had to pass on the last loop since I turned out to be in better shape then I ever expected but I think I'd have finally run out of steam on that one; only two times I had to walk were brief and due to not cutting the switchback right on an uphill. Stopped off at the Bayville bike shop heading towards home and found the track bike I've been looking for, now I just have to figure out how to get spousal approval. A screw through my car's tire requiring a replacement on the way to Glacier Ridge didn't help the situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.