Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hitch Rack for E-bike with Fenders

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Hitch Rack for E-bike with Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 08:53 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I've got the Kuat NV2 and I am using pipe insulation too. A little between the tire and fender and some more between the fender and the rack arm
Old 05-30-21, 05:02 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janeset123
I am looking for recommendations for a hitch rack that will accommodate my Trek Allant 7+ Stagger. I really like the 1 Up but I am concerned that it will not work with the rear fender. Ideally, I am looking for a rack that will either be light enough to remove when not in use (under 30lbs) or will fold up and not interfere with the liftgate of my 2015 Escape. I looked at the Saris Freedom (which is light) but I don't think I would be able to load my 50+ bike onto that rack without assistance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My hitch gets installed next week and I am eager to be able to take my bike to some new places!
I use the 1UP heavy duty with my Giant Explore GTS. I started by leaving the bobbin for the tire at the top and using 2 velcro straps to secure it to the rack mount. Then I moved the bobbin down to below the rear fender which worked, but there was a little wobble I didn't like. I tried wrapping a microfiber towel around the bobbin, but in order to add enough pressure for the bike to be secure it was deflecting the fender and damaging the plastic. I also tried their little $13 piece of pipe insulation and velcro, but that gave the same issue. The bike couldn't go anywhere, but it bothered me. I just received their wheel stop kit and that has stopped the issue for me. Very pleased with the rack. It is built so far beyond the other, similar copies that you can't believe it. I'm glad we went this route.

Last edited by Biggziff; 05-30-21 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-30-21, 10:55 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
1Up has started shipping out their racks again and I received my super duty double rack from them a couple of days ago.
Old 05-30-21, 02:40 PM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
1Up has started shipping out their racks again and I received my super duty double rack from them a couple of days ago.
We received our super duty 2 weeks ago. When were they not shipping them?
Old 06-02-21, 03:03 PM
B2mac

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hitch rack for bike with fenders

Saris is coming out with a hitch bike rack built especially for ebikes. It is called the Door County Hitch Rack and has an electric powered lift so you don't have to lift the bikes. It's not cheap at $1200 but it might be a good option for some people.
Old 06-02-21, 03:14 PM
Calsun
Banned

I first tried in October of last year and Hollywood and Swagman RV grade e-bike racks have also been out of stock. I got on the waiing list with 1up in April and was able to place my order a couple of weeks ago.
Old 06-10-21, 08:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,278 Posts
My wife has a Townie Go with Mid Drive Bosch and internal Shimano geared hub. It is about 48 lbs and has fenders .We went to Trek and bought a Thule T2 and it works perfectly. The front wheel holder stays well away from the full fender on the bike. The new style has wheels on it for moving the rack around when not in use and is very solid when mounted on the back of her Tacoma. We almost bought the Kuat until I saw the wheels on the Thule.
Old 06-10-21, 10:56 AM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I got the Vibrelli V70 rack which is rated for 130 lbs (65lbs per bike) and works with frame hooks so it doesn't touch the fenders.

It's a nice full featured rack, but the truth is, I had a problem with it. It wasn't the rack's fault it was my car's fault. My aftermarket hitch is below the bumper on my Lincoln MKX and as a result it's very low. The rack has a very long "tongue" and this is nice because it sets the bikes way back behind the car. But at that low mounting point it dragged twice on exiting a moderately steep driveway.

Here's the really GREAT thing - I had taken the rack on a month long road trip and when I discovered this issue it was past the 30-day return period on Amazon. So, I wrote an email to Vibrelli and sent them photos and they immediately refunded ALL of my money and told me to keep the rack as well.

That kind of customer service is both unheard of and fantastic. Highly recommend Vibrelli bike racks.

Oh, and they told me they have informed their designers to work on a modification for newer versions that would prevent this from happening. Again, my hitch is unusually low to the ground and that created the issue. Not a problem with the rack.
Old 06-10-21, 11:08 AM
Calsun
Banned

The Vibrelli is much like the Swagman and Hollywood racks that have no provision for a ramp to use with very heavy e-bikes. For a ramp the choices are 1up, Thule, and Yakima e-bike racks. What I love about the 1up is that the rack is above the height of the hitch receiver and so no issues with it hitting the ground or the bike tires for that matter. I have a rack that holds the bikes at the top tubes and so it is not great on a regular car or SUV as there is little clearance between the bikes and the ground.

If I had much lighter e-bikes (40 or less lbs) then the Swagman E-Spec would be my choice for an e-bike rack as a ramp would not be needed.
Old 06-10-21, 04:23 PM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Calsun, Kuat makes a ramp for the NV2.0 ebike rack. We use it with two bikes with fenders. The "hook" we just put over the fenders. The downward force isn't that much. It's mostly for side to side sway control.