Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 830 Help (mostly navigation/route related)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-11-21, 09:32 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So I switched to the Edge 830 this season after using the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt last year and hating it. Moving to the Garmin was supposed to make life (especially navigation) easier. I ran into a few issues today...

1) I intentionally went off course in an area I know well and for about 10 minutes the only re-routing the Garmin did to take me back to my destination was suggest constant U-turns, even when distance to destination was definitely shorter the route I was taking.
2) the bigger announce was when mid-ride which I was following a saved course (Strava route) and wanted to turn around and come home using the Garmin navigation. I could find out how to cancel the route while leaving my ride stats active, but it seemed there was no way to enter a new route within the same ride. I ended up with two seperate ride files as a result.
3) trying to get back to the home screen in the middle of the ride...to see if I could enter a new navigation point...the screen kept saying it was locked, but wouldn't let me unlock it (it seems) without ending my ride entirely.

Anyone have any fixes to these issues?
Old 05-11-21, 09:53 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
1) I intentionally went off course in an area I know well and for about 10 minutes the only re-routing the Garmin did to take me back to my destination was suggest constant U-turns, even when distance to destination was definitely shorter the route I was taking.
There isn't just the way you want to deal with this.

If you want follow the course (a requirement for certain events), a U turn is the best/shortest way to do that.

The 1030+ gives you options when you go off-course far enough.

Do you have "recalculation" enabled?

2) the bigger announce was when mid-ride which I was following a saved course (Strava route) and wanted to turn around and come home using the Garmin navigation. I could find out how to cancel the route while leaving my ride stats active, but it seemed there was no way to enter a new route within the same ride. I ended up with two seperate ride files as a result.
Navigation is separate from recording an activity.

There's a tiny stop sign in the lower left of the map screen that will stop navigation.

You can also just select some other navigation and you'll be asked if you want to stop the current navigation.

3) trying to get back to the home screen in the middle of the ride...to see if I could enter a new navigation point...the screen kept saying it was locked, but wouldn't let me unlock it (it seems) without ending my ride entirely.
Unlock the screen: press and hold the power button.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-11-21 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-11-21, 10:31 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Older Garmins suck at re-routing when off course. Best option is to view the map to determine a route back to the course line (in pink). Then figure it out yourself. The 1030 Plus as better off course options.

If you desire to return to start, you stop and cancel the existing navigation, then and while in the navigation section, do a “Return to Start”. It’ll give you 2 options, one is a route generated by the device and a hit/miss as to viability for cycling, the other is to follow the existing track that’s been recorded to date. That method works I’ve used it.

Lock/unlock screen is in the manual.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-11-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 12:23 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Weird: My 530 is excellent at rerouting. I can't imagine the 830 is any worse.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 05-11-21, 04:02 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I had a hard decision to choose the Garmin 830 or the Roam. I went with the Garmin 830 because it did rerouting. It has saved me at least 5 times on group rides. My biggest complaint with the 830 is that it is very difficult to see the screen with sunglasses on when it's a sunny day. What good is a GPS unit if you can't see it.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 05-11-21, 06:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Slightly off topic: Merging two separate recordings to make one longer ride:
I googled this for another rider that mistakenly stopped his recording mid-ride (by pressing buttons without reading the messages...)
There's some websites where you upload multiple recordings, and it returns a single longer ride. I've never tried it. It's easy to find with google search.

~~~~~

Recalc when off the route:
The route recalc was terrible on my old 705. So I turned it off on my 1030. It is funny how it still says "make a u-turn" when I can see that I'll get back on the route just a few hundred feet ahead.
I'll have to try out the off course recalc options and see if it's useful and effective.

New route with keeping the recording running:
Any of these options will keep the route recording going. You can switch or cancel routes, and your recording will continue.

I use the "Elevation Chart" screen a lot. It's set to show the next 1.5 miles elevations in a chart format, so I can see what kind of climbing and descending is coming. This data is imported with the route .fit file. So navigating "return to start--most direct route", or "navigate to a selected point" won't have upcoming elevations. Instead, it shows the most recent portion of your ride--not too helpful.

1. You can press the red "stop sign with an X" button on the map to stop following a route. Now you can "just ride" without a route. Perfect if the group switches plans mid-ride and someone else is deciding the route (for a bridge out, weather, etc.) You'll still see your mileage, etc, increasing as you ride, as expected.
It asks, "Stop current course?" X-don't stop, checkmark-stop navigating. I've pressed this accidentally a few times, so I just hit the X so I keep navigating.
This red button isn't too obvious. I tried finding the "stop course" function in the Navigation menu, but it's not there, of course.

2. you can get back to the home screen, click Navigate, and load a route the same as you do when you start a ride. For instance, changing from a 100 mile to a 65 mile route during an event ride. (It even asks if you want to navigate to the start -- no.)
Tap the data screen or tap the map away from the control buttons on the map. You should see the "House icon" for the home page. From there, click Navigation or click your bike symbol at the top to get back to the riding screens.

3. Return to start, via the outbound route. I'm guessing this would take you all the way back around a loop route that was 3/4 finished. Probably not what you want in that case. It would be useful if that outbound route is reasonably direct from where you are.

4. Return to start, most direct route. I've tested this a few times, and it usually picks a reasonable route, avoiding highways, for instance. If you get far off this calculated route, it won't recalc the route. But you can go to Navigate again, and pick it again, for a new recalculation from your current location. It's useful. I get turn by turn messages, and distance to the destination. Nice.
You can start riding before it gets to "loading...100%", but that slows down the load. It'll reach 100% much faster if you stop the bike to let it calculate and load the route.

5. Navigate to a selected point. This is slow to set up, but should work. You can pick a town, pick a neighborhood in a larger city, or pull up a list of businesses in a category, sorted by distance (convenience store, restaurant, etc). Even put in a street address--but that's very tedious.
It can navigate to a "Saved Location", but I don't have any.

Locked screen
While locked, it's interesting that you can (sometimes? always?) swipe to see the other screens, but can't change any of them, or press to get back to home, either.
Just a quick press of the power button locks or unlocks. I never use this, unless I do it accidentally.

Powering off
A 3-second press of the power button won't actually turn it off while it's recording. It shows a "Activity in progress" message, tells you to stop the timer before sleep or power off, and only allows the "return to previous screen" arrow press. Good.

Pausing and resuming a ride recording
This isn't too obvious. I expected to use the top left power button -- but that's not it.
Press the start/stop button at the bottom, same as starting or finishing a ride. You'll see the usual "Save ride" checkmark button -- but don't press any screen button, either X-cancel or checkmark-save ride. There's a reminder at the top of the screen: "To resume ride, press the bottom start/stop button" The physical button, not a screen icon.
This works pretty well, since the screen isn't the usual riding screens, so it's harder to forget to start it going when you are done with your break.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-11-21 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 05-13-21, 10:34 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I had a hard decision to choose the Garmin 830 or the Roam. I went with the Garmin 830 because it did rerouting. It has saved me at least 5 times on group rides. My biggest complaint with the 830 is that it is very difficult to see the screen with sunglasses on when it's a sunny day. What good is a GPS unit if you can't see it.
modify the brightness settings
Old 07-11-21, 11:19 AM
njhubert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a route while training?

I have been searching the net and haven't found a solution, but it appears this thread is along a similar track. I am trying to see if there is a way on the 830 to do a training ride while using navigation. I ride on farming roads and want to be sure I take all the correct turns. I tried selecting route from the review training screen before setting off, but that just started navigation and my training didn't count towards my Garmin plan. Hopefully there is a simple way of doing this that I have just overlooked. Thanks for any help.

Neil
Old 07-11-21, 11:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by njhubert
I have been searching the net and haven't found a solution, but it appears this thread is along a similar track. I am trying to see if there is a way on the 830 to do a training ride while using navigation. I ride on farming roads and want to be sure I take all the correct turns. I tried selecting route from the review training screen before setting off, but that just started navigation and my training didn't count towards my Garmin plan. Hopefully there is a simple way of doing this that I have just overlooked. Thanks for any help.

Neil
Do not rely on the device to develop the navigable routes you want to ride, they suck at it. Most folks use an online program like Garmin Connect, Strava, RideWithGPS, Kamoots, to create a route/course (Garmin speak). They then save the route and get it to the device. A course created in Garmin Connect on a PC and saved, shows up in the Garmin Connect Mobile app, which then is easily sent to the device. Its then in the navigation section, you pick that route and will get Turn-By-Turn directions on the screen, plus a pop up mini map with arrows showing the turns. The other programs can send routes to the device using an app from the Garmin iQ store that shows up in the iQ section of a device, you get a list of recent routes you've created, you pick one, download it and start a navigation. Other manufactures can do this as well, Hammerhead is arguably better at this than Garmin (I've used both systems), with Wahoo also being OK (maps suck).
Old 07-11-21, 12:12 PM
njhubert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve, thanks for the reply though I fear I didn't describe my question properly. I do import routes that I have made using Ride with GPS and have no problems doing that and loading them. The question I'm trying to answer is about loading a Garmin workout and then using a route for navigation at the same time.

Depending on which workout I'm doing I might just have a simple timer, or for intervals it might show a slider depicting what power I should be aiming for. I would like to be able to load a workout so I get those sliders and such, but then also load a route to get guidance as I rocket down Illinois farm roads. This also allows Garmin to list the workout as complete instead of just an additional ride. Hopefully this clarifies things.
Old 07-11-21, 02:52 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Steve, thanks for the reply though I fear I didn't describe my question properly. I do import routes that I have made using Ride with GPS and have no problems doing that and loading them. The question I'm trying to answer is about loading a Garmin workout and then using a route for navigation at the same time.
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...r-to-load-both
I won't make a snarky comment about how well Google works.
Old 07-11-21, 04:13 PM
njhubert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No snarky comment needed as in my first post I mentioned that I had been searching. Apparently I just hadn't found the right combination of words to get that result. What I did find was a link to this forum and guess what? I found the result. I took a look at the link and will try it on my next ride.
Old 07-11-21, 04:18 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Apparently I just hadn't found the right combination of words to get that result.
For future reference, here's what I used, "can garmin 830 do workout and navigate at the same time." (no snark, sincerely trying to be helpful.)