Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

ebike on a boat

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

ebike on a boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 11:47 AM
alvcur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question ebike on a boat

i bought an ebike [rad bike] to take on my 31 foot power boat to the bahamas and caribbean. has anyone else done this? if so, how did you protect the electronic components from the salt air and moisture?
Old 06-09-21, 02:32 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by alvcur
i bought an ebike [rad bike] to take on my 31 foot power boat to the bahamas and caribbean. has anyone else done this? if so, how did you protect the electronic components from the salt air and moisture?
Dielectric grease may help with the electrical contacts but do have to wonder why you need a motor assist in these places which are small and not much in the way of hills. Better choice is a folding bike like the ones from Dahon. The folding bikes have smaller 20" tires and so take a lot less space. If you have problems with pedaling then get a local bike shop to change the largest rear sprocket for one with more teeth to give you a granny gear for hills.

For exposed metal parts (including aluminum) that need protection from salt the best solution is to spray on a clear lacquer paint.
Old 06-09-21, 04:17 PM
alvcur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. As to why an ebike, the bike will be carrying two adult passengers, a grandchild and 2 panniers with groceries, drinks, souvenirs, snorkel gear, beach towels etc. try that on a folding bike. 😀
Old 06-09-21, 09:49 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
I would consider wrapping it in a plastic sheet of some type (like a large tarp) and closing the "seams" with some kind of tape so that the bike is "sealed" in.