Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GPS that has odometer for multiple bikes

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-11-21, 02:57 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

I have a Bryton Rider 530. One of the reasons I bought it is that you can set it up for two bikes. After I bought it I released that the odometer cannot be set up for multiple bikes. You can do everything else but that. I like to keep track of the exact miles each of my bikes has. I want to know the total miles the frames have and I want to keep track of how many miles all the consumable parts have. So that sucks and I only use it for one bike because of that.

Does anyone have a gps that does have them separate? I have my eye on the Garmin 530 but I can't tell by reading the manual online.
Old 07-11-21, 03:31 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
If you use Strava you can assign each ride to a separate bike, just add bikes in the gear section. This works in the free version of the program.
Likes For KenCT:
Old 07-11-21, 03:34 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I'm not sure about GPS units recording the mileage for different bikes but Strava does this just fine.

StravaBikeMileage by Spinners1961, on Flickr
Old 07-11-21, 05:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
'I want to keep track of how many miles all the consumable parts have.' So you'll have some sort of log book/file to note replacement mileages. Could just keep running totals there.
Old 07-11-21, 06:48 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use the website SportTracks.mobi. I setup whatever gear I want to track and it keeps tracks or all the details when I select the gear for each ride. An example: https://sporttracks.mobi/activity/28360933
Old 07-11-21, 09:36 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin hardware doesn't have a per bike odometer. Their software does, you have to tell it which bike you used for a ride to get that. You do it after the fact on a computer (which can be a phone or tablet).
Old 07-11-21, 10:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I have a Bryton Rider 530. One of the reasons I bought it is that you can set it up for two bikes. After I bought it I released that the odometer cannot be set up for multiple bikes. You can do everything else but that. I like to keep track of the exact miles each of my bikes has. I want to know the total miles the frames have and I want to keep track of how many miles all the consumable parts have. So that sucks and I only use it for one bike because of that.

Does anyone have a gps that does have them separate? I have my eye on the Garmin 530 but I can't tell by reading the manual online.
I'm not ware of any of the upper tier GPS devices that track specific bike activities in the device. Garmin uses Activity Profiles and you can name them as per the bike (Road, Gravel, Mountain, etc...) you can also set in the profile a particular type of activity for that profile, and that different activity shows up in the uploaded ride data in the web Connect app. But Garmin doesn't let you manipulate (search, filter, isolate), etc...that information as far as I can tell. Hammerhead and Wahoo do not save Profile data. What I use is RideWithGPS. My Garmin and now my Karoo 2 send my completed ride information to RWGPS. I then typically edit the ride in RWGPS and indicate a particular bike used, and make comments if I did maintenance, had issues. etc.... I can search for that information as well to see when I changed a cassette and chain. Strava can do this as well, not sure about Kamoots or Connect and those are programs I'm aware of.
Old 07-11-21, 11:36 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Can be done in Connect, but only for a whole bike, no components that I am aware of. It's far better in Strava, because you can also designate components on the bike. As you swap them out, just go into Strava and retire them and then add the new one new one. E.g., Chains and cassettes, and brake pads, I do this every time I change those out. Doing this, each time you designate a particular bike for a ride, it will add the mileage (or Kms if you follow The Rules) to the components.

Last edited by Badger6; 07-11-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-11-21, 12:08 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by KenCT
If you use Strava you can assign each ride to a separate bike, just add bikes in the gear section. This works in the free version of the program.
I'm stupid. I have strava and just saw it's kept track of the mileage. I guess that will have to be good enough, thanks.

*edit*
I almost never bother changing bikes in strava when I take one on a different ride so the odometer numbers are all wrong. When I go into "edit bike" there isn't a box for the odo. Then I went to add another bike to basically start over. There is no longer an odometer box in that, either. I guess that went away for the free version when they changed everything up awhile back?

Last edited by Lazyass; 07-11-21 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-11-21, 11:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Can be done in Connect, but only for a whole bike, no components that I am aware of.
Add them as gear under "other." Then make them default for cycling.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-11-21, 11:50 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Ah, excellent point, since multiple "gear" can be added to an activity...but, it seems clunky, unless there is a way to link all the components to each bike that they are installed on, so that a single click captures the wear items one would want to track.