Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best panniers.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best panniers.

Old 02-23-21, 06:49 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
Best panniers.

Looking to get some panniers, front and rear. I’m wanting a set that can take me from a weekend trip to a cross country trip And also last for years. Waterproof is a must. I’m looking at the Ortlieb Roller Classics but was wondering what you all thought. Thanks
Old 02-23-21, 07:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Ortlieb Packer series are the best for me.

Are you going to ride across the country?
Old 02-23-21, 07:18 PM
sloar 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ortlieb Packer series are the best for me.

Are you going to ride across the country?
That’s my goal in a few years when I retire from the fire department. Until then I have some shorter trips planned.
Old 02-23-21, 07:45 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
You will have trouble on this forum finding anyone that will tell you to not get them. My Ortlieb rollers are 10 years old. Not cheap, but lasts a long time. A bit heavier than some of the other options but that is one reason that they last so long.

Photo from 2010:

Photo from 2012:

Photo from 2013:

Photo from 2016:

Photo from 2017:

Photo from 2017:

I have also used some Carradry panniers, Axiom, and Nashbar. And I still have those panniers, I probably will use the Carradry ones in the future for some trips too. Bought a pair of vintage Cannondale Overland panniers, might use them some too. But the Ortliebs will always get consideration for future trips.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-23-21 at 07:49 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-23-21, 08:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
If waterproof is absolutely needed Ortleib is pretty much the answer. People who use Ortliebs are rarely dissatisfied, they are durable and waterproof and will hold up for a long time. Though if waterproof is not needed then Arkel GT-54s are AWESOME!!! Some many pockets and really excellent durable Cordura fabric that just can't be damaged easily and the mount system is fantastic.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-23-21, 08:23 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Well, here's one person who isn't on the Ortlieb bandwagon.
And I have 35 years touring experience.
Although, I will admit that many people swear by them.

I prefer panniers with multiple pockets and compartments.
Ortliebs are just a big ole bucket.
Arkels are about as heavy and sturdy and pricey.
But they allow for more packing options and things are easier to get to.
Plus they have rain covers - and I use interior liners.

BTW - I tend not to ride in the heavy rain.
If it's going to rain all day - I take the day off.
Not only is it less pleasant riding in the rain - but more dangerous.
I usually pick drier climates or times of year to tour in.
Granted, if I were going to tour in the tropics, I might get Ortliebs.

PS - I really take too much stuff, but I usually solo.

Last edited by jamawani; 02-24-21 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 02-23-21, 08:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
The above illustrates my pet peeve about threads asking for “the best.” Some prefer compartments. If you do, Ortlieb’s will not be the best for you. (Note that the Packer series does have some minimal compartmentalization.) I used to use highly compartmentalized bags and thought I would mind the Ortlieb style, but I ended up not minding. But some people want something different. You need to refine your wants to know what will be best for you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-23-21, 09:12 PM
sloar 

These questions are just general questions. I’m not going to run out and buy whatever someone suggests. But it gives me an idea what’s out there hearing from actual users. Isn’t that what this forum is about?
Old 02-23-21, 09:24 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I prefer the Ortlieb Rollers, but the Packer series bags are also pretty nice.
Old 02-23-21, 10:34 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Whole lotta Ortlieb going on here, but truthfully there are several excellent brands such as Arkel and others

Old 02-23-21, 10:35 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Put me in the Ortlieb camp. They have a good solid mounting mechanism that is easy to remove and install. And when they say waterproof, they are exactly that. You could roll them up and use them as floats if you were so inclined.

As to the organization, I organize them with ziplocks. I started that practice before I got the Ortliebs because my old panniers weren’t water proof. Frankly, I like the bucket like nature of the Ortliebs. I never found the pockets on my old panniers to be all that useful. Nothing really ever fit in the pockets all that well so there was a lot of wasted space. I use bikepacking bags now as well (not on the same trips) and that’s the biggest problem I have with them as well...too many small cavities where things just don’t fit.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-23-21, 10:41 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Waaaay back in the mid-late '70s I used Cannondale Overlanders. I Still have a few sets that are 40+ years old. No, they're not 100% waterproof, but that's why they invented Zip-Loc bags!
Old 02-24-21, 06:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Looking at this thread you would think that Ortliebs only come in yellow. So, I figured I should post a photo of a bike that a friend tours on.

His Ortliebs are the City version, different closure, lacks some internal stuff, a bit lighter and a bit cheaper. You might have noticed that I often strap some rain gear or other clothing on top of my front panniers, but the City version that my friend owns lacks those straps.

There was mention of the multi-pockets on some Arkels above. A friend of mine has crossed USA twice plus several other trips with his Arkels, photo below. But he always puts the rain covers on them, even on sunny days. His are red, the rain covers protects them from UV so his panniers look brand new under the rain covers, but his red handlebar bag faded really badly in the sun.

On the Ortliebs, some people have noted that the inserts in the hooks that are used to fit the hooks better to the diameter of the rack tubing can fall out. I do not use the inserts at all, instead I used some clear plastic tubing from teh hardware store (3/8 ID, 1/2 OD, slit lengthwise) to protect my rack from chaffing, see photo below.

In the photo I used electrical tape around the plastic tubing, since then I have added some zip ties and use less tape now.
Old 02-24-21, 09:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I'll add some pics of the Carradice Carradry bags.. just because. They are also waterproof and robust but have a shaped flap and drawstring opening instead of the roll top.
The attachment system is adjustable and secure for small and large rack tubing diameters. So far I have the front bags, HB bag, Saddle bag and probably will get the rear bags to complete the set. I've also gotten the expedition rack for the saddle bag so it's easily removable.

I originally wanted to buy smaller Ortliebs but could not source the front city rollers anywhere locally at the time. I could order and get these in a week from jolly old England. I would have been happy with them as well I think.

The rack for the saddle bag so it can be removed easily. I've since adjusted it lower.

The idea for my modular system. Being able to add or remove capacity as needed.

Old 02-24-21, 09:49 AM
Doug64

I carry a couple of spare Ortlieb clips in my seat bag. In over 20,000 miles of touring my wife and I have only lost one clip. However, the use of tape or other rack protection , as Tourist in MSN shows, is a good idea.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-25-21 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 12:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Ortlieb all the way. I have had these for ten years now. They were eight years old in this picture. I like the simplicity of the roller classics. They work well, completely waterproof, can hold a lot when closed, and can be left open on top for large items when running errands. They are a great value since they work so well, and last a long time.
Old 02-24-21, 02:47 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
I went with the Arkel 'Orkas' which are their roll-top waterproof option. But I live in Canada and Arkel is a Canadian company.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 02-25-21, 01:41 PM
sloar 

Thanks for all the replies. Just ordered the Roller classics front and rear from REI. Also a front Tubus Lowrider from Modernbike. Looking forward to putting them to use.
Old 02-25-21, 02:15 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
My oldest pair of Ortliebs is 13 or 14 years old now. Here's a complaint: they've faded (red).

After daily commutes for a couple years, a cross country trip, after a couple more years I started worrying they were going to disintegrate from UV damage because of the fading, and bought some replacements. Haven't needed the new ones yet.

So I guess, instead of damning with faint praise, that's praising with faint damns.
Old 02-25-21, 02:39 PM
sloar 

I got the yellow panniers, I didn’t care for the color but thought the visibility would be better.
Old 02-25-21, 02:43 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I got the yellow panniers, I didn’t care for the color but thought the visibility would be better.
I prefer black panniers because I sleep in the ”wild” a lot, but on the road I hang an extra neon safety vest over my outside rear pannier.
Old 02-25-21, 04:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Thanks for all the replies. Just ordered the Roller classics front and rear from REI. Also a front Tubus Lowrider from Modernbike. Looking forward to putting them to use.
Some years REI has a sale price on Ortliebs in March. My local REI has told me that they will refund the difference if you buy something and it goes on sale very soon afterwards, but I do not recall the time period, and you have to ask wtihin that time period.

The lower hooks on Ortlieb panniers are not designed to handle the larger diameter of Tubus Tara front racks. Some have said, no big deal and use them anyway. Others have ordered different hooks. I made some different hooks out of some aluminum bar that I stretched inner tube rubber over the aluminum. So, when you get them, ... ...

If your rack is black, I bought some black fingernail polish at Dollar Tree, use that to touch up any wear spots on my black racks. Tubus also provides some adhesive backed plastic that you can use to protect the paint at wear spots.

I think it best to use blue (removable) thread locker on rack bolts to make sure they do not vibrate loose. Several brands, the last time I bought any, this is what I bought:
https://www.truevalue.com/6-ml-remov...hread-locker-1
Old 02-25-21, 05:22 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The lower hooks on Ortlieb panniers are not designed to handle the larger diameter of Tubus Tara front racks. Some have said, no big deal and use them anyway. Others have ordered different hooks. I made some different hooks out of some aluminum bar that I stretched inner tube rubber over the aluminum. So, when you get them, ... ...
You learn something every day. I never had problems with Sports Packer on my Tara.
Old 02-25-21, 09:52 PM
Doug64

It has not been an issue for my Front Rollers on my Tara rack. I'll have to take a closer look the next time I use them

Last edited by Doug64; 02-25-21 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 07:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Looking to get some panniers, front and rear. I’m wanting a set that can take me from a weekend trip to a cross country trip And also last for years. Waterproof is a must. I’m looking at the Ortlieb Roller Classics but was wondering what you all thought. Thanks
Sounds like you already bought what you want, but I pipe up with some comments. You may of may not find some of this is true for you as you go along in your touring career.

The weekend vs cross country thing I have found to be moot. After much tinkering with optimizing of packing lists I have found that I take exactly the same stuff regardless of trip length. Season and location make some difference, but once I got my gear really dialed in even those made way less difference than you might think unless you start talking real winter camping. Also if you really want to you can adjust what you carry over the course of a multi month tour. I pack super light, but and just take the same gear regardless of trip length with only a little concession for the specific trip. The same can be done for whatever packing style you choose from super light to super heavy.

On the waterproof thing... I have found that it is often more important to choose between the one big envelope versus a bunch of pockets. I like one big compartment if I am using panniers (and yes I like waterproof). That said I have found that I like tinkering with alternate packing options using bar rolls, dry bags, and other unusual options. I find that some very small ultrasil stuff sacks in the main bag help organize and separate items. I color code them and size them so that I can pack items tightly enough that they are compressed.

I am kind of glad I bought VERY inexpensive nashbar panniers when I was packing heavy. They held up okay and I didn't regret buying big $$$ ones when I stated packing lighter and lighter and didn't need the capacity any more. I have since crossed the country with 14# of UL backpacking gear without using any bike specific bags, but still might use the small nashbar front panniers. I doubt, I'll ever use the big panniers again unless it is for errands like shopping at home. When I started touring it never occurred to me that would happen.

The panniers you chose are nice ones and will most likely suit your needs for years to come.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.