Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifting issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 07:55 AM
rweakley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting issues

Can someone please help me diagnose this? I think it may be a chain issue, but I'm not sure. I don't know if I've used this chain enough to introduce significant stretch. I have tried everything as far as adjusting the derailleur. On further inspection, while this is happening the chain is not even touching the derailleur; it's after the initial push to the big ring. After this happens, if I keep pedaling, the chain will fall on the crank arm. I don't know what to do, and now that the weather is cooling down, I want to go ride! Thanks for any help offered.

Um...it seems I haven't posted enough to allow me to post a picture. So here's a link (take out the space between dot & com): drive.google. com/file/d/1a1FRl7ZD3KWqV1EsUEb2hoMob-L-kQPn/view?usp=sharing

-Randy
Old 09-27-21, 08:45 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I'm not sure I fully understand what the problem is and it's hard to see well enough in the photo if the chairing is worn or something else but one thing I noticed is that it appears the derailleur is mounted too high above the large chainring which can cause the shifting to be poor. To know chain wear you need to measure it and not guess. Is the chain the proper width for your gear setup (10 sp for 10 speed, etc.)? Sounds as though your limit screw for the large chainring is off allowing the chain to fall off to the right. Not sure why the chain is riding on the chainring teeth but could certainly have to do with the derailleur/cable adjustment is not allowing the chain to sit centered on the chainring. Also check the the chainring bolts are tight. Here's one of many videos on how to properly setup your derailleur and I would start from scratch and re-install it and eliminate that as a problem if something else is going on. Front Derailleur — Advanced Troubleshooting | Park Tool
Old 09-27-21, 08:59 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I agree. Looking at that pic the components did not appear to be worn, so likely it is setup.

And the Park Tool guy knows what he is doing! He's been the go-to guy for everything I do on the bike.
Old 09-27-21, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
OP's pic
Old 09-27-21, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You can quickly find out if your chain is worn by taking a scale and measuring out twelve inches from one pin and seeing how close to the twelve inch mark the closest pin is. If the pin is more than a 1/16" further than 12", then you need to think about replacing the chain. If it is beyond 12-1/8" then definitely need a chain. And possibly new rings and and cassette.

I prefer a metal scale (ruler) but a steel tape works too.

I'd be more interested in what it looks like when the shift is completed. But something seem amuk.
Old 10-03-21, 06:49 PM
rweakley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks y'all, but I can't figure it out. I can't move the derailleur down because of the shape of the carbon frame. Every time I tighten the bolt it creeps back up. I'm looking at either taking it to the LBS or going for a 1x conversion.