Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

cell phone in jersey pocket story (got lucky)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

cell phone in jersey pocket story (got lucky)

Old 09-27-21, 01:08 PM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If I'm on a hard surfaced road I've got a quad lock case and for gravel / off road my Pearl Izumi shorts have a pocket on the hip that is pretty snug. Although I do like the zippered pocket idea and it seems weird that jackets often have a zippered pocket but not shirts.
Likes For Vaughan51:
Old 09-27-21, 01:09 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Thought I'd share a good luck story.

Some time ago, there was a thread about where cyclists keep their cell phone when riding. I've always been in the camp who keeps my phone in my right side jersey pocket and never had an issue.

The other day, I was on a gravel ride with one particular 4.5 mile stretch that I've been on probably 4 times. This section is closed to public car traffic - gated off so cars can't pass through. Up until this ride, I may have seen someone else maybe once or twice. Well, at around the 2 mile mark, I hit one of those sharp bumps that made me wish I wasn't sitting directly on the saddle (!!). At precisely that moment, two joggers approached me from the other direction and one yelled out "your cell phone fell out of your pocket". If we were off by 10 seconds, probably less, they wouldn't have noticed and I wouldn't have noticed until who knows when as I didn't feel it slip out of my pocket nor did I hear it hit the ground.

So, I'll probably still keep my cell phone in my jersey pocket, at least on paved rides, but my confidence has been shaken!
indeed, a very fortunate misfortune. Hopefully, the phone was ok.

i bought an apple watch 3-4 years ago so i don’t usually carry an actual phone most of the time.
Likes For WinterCommuter:
Old 09-27-21, 01:48 PM
SteveG23

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
What is the alternative to a jersey pocket?
I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6LDB2Z/
and haven't had any problems. It allows me to check my GPS, change my music, etc. while riding, or at least when stopped at a traffic light.
Likes For SteveG23:
Old 09-27-21, 01:58 PM
vica vale99

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep in Back Pocket

I just recently bought an iPhone 12 mini and I wasn't sure what to do with my old iPhone SE, which is really nice and small and still works great. So, since it was only worth about $25 to trade-in, I decided to keep it exclusively for the bike along with my Apple Watch 3 (I got a new Apple Watch 5 for Christmas). And, I found a nice cheap company Tello to buy minutes and data from. They are related to T-Mobile and I got 1GB, 100 minutes and free text for $7/month. This is great for riding as I have a phone if I need to call anyone, text anyone or listen to music. And, by not using my new phone, I'm not subjecting it to extra wear and tear (and sweat) while on the bike. My regular phone is with ATT. This works great!
Likes For vica vale99:
Old 09-27-21, 08:31 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
indeed, a very fortunate misfortune. Hopefully, the phone was ok.

i bought an apple watch 3-4 years ago so i don’t usually carry an actual phone most of the time.
There is a thin crack in the screen, a bit bigger on the corner where it must have hit the ground. I really should have had a screen protector.
Old 09-27-21, 08:34 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by SteveG23
I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6LDB2Z/
and haven't had any problems. It allows me to check my GPS, change my music, etc. while riding, or at least when stopped at a traffic light.
I've thought of something like that although I do worry about damage to the phone from the constant road chatter, especially on rougher gravel. But, people do use them so I expect they're fine and I shouldn't worry. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-28-21, 01:32 AM
nigsy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know why Jersey manufacturers don't simply put a bit of velcro over one pocket? One of the Jerseys I have actually has a plastic pouch in one of the back pockets that is sewn into the jersey specifically to hold a phone. Only ever seen it once.
Likes For nigsy:
Old 09-28-21, 01:40 AM
cpcnw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
My primary cell phone was recently destroyed by a software update.
You can't destroy hardware with software
Likes For cpcnw:
Old 09-28-21, 01:42 AM
cpcnw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Endura do velcro, zipped even vertical zipped on their MTB stuff
Likes For cpcnw:
Old 09-28-21, 02:05 AM
400ixl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sew on a couple of snap fasteners on the pocket you keep it in. Low cost and will be less hassle than velcro.
Likes For 400ixl:
Old 09-28-21, 05:43 AM
SteveG23

I do worry about damage to the phone from the constant road chatter, especially on rougher gravel.
That's a possible issue. I don't spend a lot of time on very rough surfaces. I don't think it would damage the phone but can't make any promises.

And I'm not one of those who needs to wear form-fitting clothes made specifically for biking (I'm not racing anyone, so a little wind resistance doesn't worry me), so I have no trouble finding suitable pockets when needed. The hip pocket in my gym shorts works just fine for a large-ish phone with protective cover. That's fine when I'm not using it for anything.
Likes For SteveG23:
Old 09-28-21, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
If you have deep pockets get a Rapha Core jersey. Not only does it have deep pockets it has a zippered side one. Just completed a 650 tour that included some rough, unpaved roads and trails, with my phone always in a back pocket. No problems.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-28-21, 07:52 AM
SteveG23

Originally Posted by cpcnw
You can't destroy hardware with software
That sounds like a challenge.

Heard of Stuxnet? Or, closer to home, Loapi? It has caused physical damage to Android phones. (No, I am not saying any "updates" have done this, or that that's the kind of "destroy" the previous writer meant.)
Likes For SteveG23:
Old 09-28-21, 09:15 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I've never had a mobile phone slip out of my center jersey pocket. I guess I have been lucky. Might be different if I was riding a mtn bike on trails or a gravel bike on rougher roads. I keep my key fob, credit card, bus pass, and a little cash in an under the seat bike bag along with tubes and tools. After reading this I think I might try using a big thick rubberband as was mentioned earlier. Seems simple enough and a little more secure.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-28-21, 12:43 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
There is a thin crack in the screen, a bit bigger on the corner where it must have hit the ground. I really should have had a screen protector.
Go to Walmart or somewhere and get a RainX windshield crack repair kit. The epoxy used in that works great for repairing cracks in the screen. I used it on my phone when I missed my jersey pocket some years ago and cracked the corner of the screen, then again when I cracked a Garmin watch in a MTB wreck.

Was this jersey loose fitting or has shallow pockets? I've put over 5000 miles on my Warbird, 95% on dirt roads and mostly with my phone in the center back pocket without having an issue. I do have the phone in a small ziplock bag though, so maybe that adds some resistance to it coming out?
Likes For Caliper:
Old 09-28-21, 01:30 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by Caliper
Go to Walmart or somewhere and get a RainX windshield crack repair kit. The epoxy used in that works great for repairing cracks in the screen. I used it on my phone when I missed my jersey pocket some years ago and cracked the corner of the screen, then again when I cracked a Garmin watch in a MTB wreck.

Was this jersey loose fitting or has shallow pockets? I've put over 5000 miles on my Warbird, 95% on dirt roads and mostly with my phone in the center back pocket without having an issue. I do have the phone in a small ziplock bag though, so maybe that adds some resistance to it coming out?
Thanks for the idea on RainX. I'll check it out.

Yeah, this was the first time it ever happened to me in years of riding with the phone in that jersey pocket. The pockets on this jersey may be a bit shallower than my others (although the phone wasn't exposed over the top of the pocket). Likely just a freak accident of timing hitting that sharp bump, sitting flush on the saddle for maximum shock and accelerating effect
Old 09-28-21, 01:45 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG23
That sounds like a challenge.

Heard of Stuxnet? Or, closer to home, Loapi? It has caused physical damage to Android phones. (No, I am not saying any "updates" have done this, or that that's the kind of "destroy" the previous writer meant.)
Android 10 update either turned off or fried the touch screen. Had a power spike that drained 20% of the battery in a couple of minutes.
IT admitted they were having issues with the most recent update and replaced the phone under warranty.
Factory reset not possible without touch screen functioning for us mere mortals.

Had a similar issue with a Windows 10 update that liked to turn off the sound and touch screen on a tablet. Had to learn some DOS instructions to fix it.
Forced updates are no bueno.
Old 09-28-21, 02:13 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is why I always wear earbuds when riding- Once I get 100' from my phone, they wont work and I will know I lost it.***
Brilliant! I never thought of that advantage of wearing a wireless earbud, which I've done for many years. Although I've ridden technical mtb, and crashed several times there, and have had a couple over-the-bars crashes on the road bike, and the cell in the back right pocket has never once fallen out. The earbud on the other hand has fallen out several times, but that's easy to recognize, but not always easy to find.