Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Center pull brakes safety post threaded through front fork mount

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-28-21, 10:13 AM
sprocketss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Center pull brakes safety post threaded through front fork mount. I believe this is a no go, I would like to buy this Fender set for my mountain bike. I have the old school center pull brakes which have a safety post in case they collapse. It straight through the front fork, looking at these fenders, I don't think I could fit them with enough clearance. Can you give me your opinions please. These are the fenders I'm looking at. Miyata Elevation 400.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08723BYDC...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Old 09-28-21, 12:11 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
They should fit. You may have to play with the height of the bridge cable.
Old 09-28-21, 12:22 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by sprocketss
Center pull brakes safety post threaded through front fork mount. I believe this is a no go, I would like to buy this Fender set for my mountain bike. I have the old school center pull brakes which have a safety post in case they collapse. It straight through the front fork, looking at these fenders, I don't think I could fit them with enough clearance. Can you give me your opinions please.

are you asking about fitting the fenders on top of also having the safety post? ( aka...reflector bracket). if that's what you're asking, you can't fit both. you will have to remove the safety post to fit the fenders. if that concerns you about safety, don't let it. the fenders will act in the same protective manner as the safety post. make sense?
Likes For thook:
Old 09-28-21, 12:44 PM
sprocketss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
are you asking about fitting the fenders on top of also having the safety post? ( aka...reflector bracket). if that's what you're asking, you can't fit both. you will have to remove the safety post to fit the fenders. if that concerns you about safety, don't let it. the fenders will act in the same protective manner as the safety post. make sense?
Yes! that makes sense. I do doubt that the center pulls would fail but that indeed gives confidence putting it in the cart.
Thanks!
Old 09-28-21, 12:52 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by sprocketss
Yes! that makes sense. I do doubt that the center pulls would fail but that indeed gives confidence putting it in the cart.
Thanks!
it is very rare they fail if set up correctly
Old 09-28-21, 02:13 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I think those fenders will be a difficult fit for your bike. As above, the fender will serve the same purpose as the reflector bracket, but it will be tricky to get the brake cable adjusted so it clears the fender and provides adequate braking. With cantilever brakes such as yours, generally speaking, the lower you have the straddle cable adjusted the more braking force you get for any given amount of pull at the lever, and the higher the straddle cable the less braking force you have. So if you adjust your straddle cable so high that it is above the fender, you will be losing a lot of braking effectiveness.

If it were me and I had no choice but to install those fenders I would lower the straddle cable right down and drill a hole in the fender to pass the main brake cable through. This would likely be a major PITA to set up, though, and in this scenario the fender would not work as a safety catch to keep the straddle cable from falling on your wheel. The safety catch thing isn't something I worry about, though - such failures are extremely uncommon.

In my opinion, different fenders are the solution. There are loads of other fenders available that ride closer to the tire and will fit neatly under the straddle cable of your existing brakes. Any fender mounted under the straddle cable will act as a safety catch for the rare occasion that your front brake cable should fail.
Another option would be to replace the centre-pull cantilever brakes with direct pull 'V' brakes, which do not have a cable funning down the centre and should be able to fit under the fender. V brakes don't require a safety catch as the cable doesn't get pulled onto the tire if the cable brakes. You need different brake levers for V brakes, though.
Old 09-28-21, 02:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's a reflector mount not a 'safety post'. There have been millions of bikes w/ canti brakes that don't have anything to prevent the straddle cable from hitting the tire if the main cable breaks. Maintain your bike properly and keep an eye on the cables like everyone should do, it's not worth worrying about.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-28-21, 03:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson

In my opinion, different fenders are the solution. .
...me too. Those fenders you picture are not real functional fenders anyway. Look for some full fenders in the proper width for your tyres, and fit them to the bike.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-28-21, 03:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I think those fenders will be a difficult fit for your bike. As above, the fender will serve the same purpose as the reflector bracket, but it will be tricky to get the brake cable adjusted so it clears the fender and provides adequate braking. With cantilever brakes such as yours, generally speaking, the lower you have the straddle cable adjusted the more braking force you get for any given amount of pull at the lever, and the higher the straddle cable the less braking force you have. So if you adjust your straddle cable so high that it is above the fender, you will be losing a lot of braking effectiveness.

If it were me and I had no choice but to install those fenders I would lower the straddle cable right down and drill a hole in the fender to pass the main brake cable through. This would likely be a major PITA to set up, though, and in this scenario the fender would not work as a safety catch to keep the straddle cable from falling on your wheel. The safety catch thing isn't something I worry about, though - such failures are extremely uncommon.

i'm thinking it's likely the fender will be forward of the straddle cable link and the link will only need to clear that bracket the fender's mounted on. unless it's designed for disc brakes, no brake will clear that fender and i can't imagine a company designing it that way