Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What could have gone wrong?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 12:15 AM
Nasr313

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 18 Posts

So I went out for a bike ride the other day in 80 degree weather and it was my longest bike ride yet 21 miles and I had to stop in the middle of the road last 2 miles of my ride I got nauseous and light headed. I was also sweating quite a bit and to be honest I didn’t drink much water. The thing is I tried to but 10 miles in my body started feeling weird already and I just thought it was one of those off days.So I rested and had some water because at the time I was sure I was just not having enough water so my body was trying to tell me so. I also didn’t eat that day but I never do when I go out for bike riding. And I have done 14 miles multiple times without this issue. Now I am scared to attempt this again. Did I do too much to early? I have been riding for maybe a month and a half. I ordered some electrolyte powder because I was reading that sweating can cause you to lose electrolytes and drinking regular water isn’t enough. I don’t want to snack for bike rides cause that defeats the purpose for me as I am trying to lose weight. I don’t know that I would really need to snack for a 20 mile ride please advise.
Old 05-29-21, 04:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
You don't need to eat on a 20 mile ride. You do need to drink. Drink more when it's hot. You apparently did not drink enough on this ride. Electrolytes may help.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-21, 09:22 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Without knowing much about your diet or program you are following definitely drink water but also bring a cliff bar or two as well.
Likes For exile:
Old 05-29-21, 09:26 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
You dehydrated-pure and simple. Drink more even if it's just plain water. Trust me, your body will thank you. I never snack on a ride. but I will suck on a mint to keep my mouth moist.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-30-21, 09:19 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Increase your distances slowly, never go 50% longer than your longest. Don't go on to the next distance until the current distance is finished easily, with you hydrated and fueled at the end.

So for a 21 mile ride, you'd first be able to easily finish 15 miles, feeling fueled and hydrated at the finish.

If you follow that strategy, the sky is the limit.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-31-21, 12:46 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Always drink plenty. I drink some water, and some healthier type drinks which contain calories.

I sometimes rest in the shade to cool off before continuing. Cold drinks also help to keep you cool. When I am very hot, I sometimes buy drinks with ice. I drink the drink and eat the ice.

Good luck with the weight loss. I am down 26 kg or 57 pounds in a bit over a year. It can be done, but it requires discipline and perseverance.

I can now ride faster and further, and recover quicker after a long ride.
Likes For alo:
Old 05-31-21, 02:01 PM
Nasr313

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
You should be concerned about losing weight before the bike rides, not on them. You can try losing weight but don't deprive yourself the day before or the day of.

Heck, I knew a dude who lost about 50 pounds. We planned a century together so he could show his stuff. He totally flopped. Why? He starved himself the day before and the day of the ride. He thought being a few ounces lighter would make him better?

He didn't eat or drink well those days trying to keep his weight down for the ride. Mistake! The day before a ride, I am done with trying to lose. Give me something to eat to fuel my ride. And on the bike as well.

Different level riders are different. 100 miles would take some out of me so I will eat about mile 65 and recover finishing strong. If 20 miles is a challenge to you, then you should eat something in between, or take in some calories one way or another till you get more fit and realize you don't need as much fuel having better conditioned muscles. You eat according to your effort. Some, 100 miles is an effort, others, 20 miles is an effort. Both riders need to be fueled.

Eat that little extra to fuel the ride then return to the losing weight mode the following day if you recover properly.
yeah I get what your saying I should have probably ate something before hand but the reason I hadn’t ate wasn’t to do with me losing weight. I almost never eat breakfast and have been like that since I was a kid and would usually eat lunch around 1-2. But I do agree that nutrition is where you have to focus and work hard on if you wanna lose weight.
Likes For Nasr313:
Old 05-31-21, 02:32 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Hopefully no medical conditions, and that you have been doing some regular exercising on a regular basis. That said, probably just a lack of water. Over 20 miles I usually drink a big glass of water just before leaving, then drink a water bottle at my turn-around point (I do a lot of 'out-and-back' rides), and I'm fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about food/calories if you're eating regular meals, even skipping a meal shouldn't cause an issue (FWIW: I ride a lot in the early AM and do not eat breakfast before I go out for a 20-30 mile ride). 80F air temp and/or high humidity I might bring another water bottle to sip from.
Old 06-02-21, 08:35 AM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I mostly try to drink water and eat gummi bears every 20 minutes to keep from bonking.
Old 06-02-21, 05:06 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 93 Posts
I agree with comments re hydration. I take a liter of water per hour with me when the temperature gets much above 80 and I'm going for more than an hour. Don't always drink the full amount but I always try. I usually add Nuun which is electrolytes not carbs. I used to eat more but lately it has to be a two hour plus ride before I plan on nibbles as I go but I have a bar in my bag just in case.

One thought about the weather. You said it was 80 degrees when you went out. In northern Illinois it recently went from 50 degrees to up near 80. My first time out in the 80's was a shock to my system and I turned around short of my ride goal. Don't know if that was relevant to you.
Old 06-03-21, 10:49 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Goal when riding should be to replace every calorie you burn. Whether through drink (gatorade, scratch, gu, SiS, etc.) or from foods (bars, gels, etc.) but that's only for longer ride...over 2 hours (possibly less depending on intensity).

For a 20 mile ride all you need is drink. I ride to work in the morning (for instance yesterday I rode 31.9 miles into work) and only have a couple of bottles and that's without eating breakfast. Your body stores a lot of carbs (fuel) and even not eating breakfast you have enough fuel on board your body to make a 20 mile ride.

Barring medical conditions you probably are just getting acclimated to riding and the heat probably had some effects as well. Keep lots of water/fuel in your bottles.

NEVER LOSE WEIGHT ON THE BIKE. And always, always fuel your rides. Especially when you're riding longer than 2 hours (a general rule of thumb).

Do you have a HR monitor? Something to give you a (flawed)metric to measure your efforts?

Keep riding, you're doing great!
Old 06-03-21, 01:09 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yes, I agree with everyone else in saying that it sounds like you got dehydrated. Never skimp on hydration while on the bike. In longer rides in hot weather, I carry two 24 oz. bottles in the cages and a 2 liter hydration pack on my back. I'm often riding out in the middle of nowhere with no place to get water or other drinks, so I have to carry it all with me.

This weekend I'm planning on doing a ~40 mile ride with a few other riders, and it's on this route where there's nowhere to get water. So even though the temperature is going to be in the 80's I'll take my full hydration setup with me. I'll often fill one or both bottles with Gatorade or Power Aid sports drink, and water on my back. Then I switch off what I'm drinking so I won't be getting too much of one or the other. Too much sweet drink and I don't feel hydrated, too much water and I wash all the electrolytes out of my system which gives me leg cramps.
Old 06-04-21, 09:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Nasr313
So I went out for a bike ride the other day in 80 degree weather and it was my longest bike ride yet 21 miles and I had to stop in the middle of the road last 2 miles of my ride I got nauseous and light headed. I was also sweating quite a bit and to be honest I didn’t drink much water. The thing is I tried to but 10 miles in my body started feeling weird already and I just thought it was one of those off days.So I rested and had some water because at the time I was sure I was just not having enough water so my body was trying to tell me so. I also didn’t eat that day but I never do when I go out for bike riding. And I have done 14 miles multiple times without this issue. Now I am scared to attempt this again. Did I do too much to early? I have been riding for maybe a month and a half. I ordered some electrolyte powder because I was reading that sweating can cause you to lose electrolytes and drinking regular water isn’t enough. I don’t want to snack for bike rides cause that defeats the purpose for me as I am trying to lose weight. I don’t know that I would really need to snack for a 20 mile ride please advise.
Was that the ride where you didn't eat for 20+ hours prior? If so, I think we have our culprit.

"So I did I to 21 mile ride the other day collapsed twice from exhaustion because I didn’t fuel up properly. I hadn’t eaten for like 20+ hours that day and for some reason I decided to go biking."
Old 06-07-21, 05:49 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
There is quick fuel and slow fuel. You ran out of quick fuel. Fat is slow fuel.
Without knowing you age, size, health, meds etc, it's hard to say anything certain, or even not dangerous.
long gaps between meals with exertion, not a good plan.
Hydrate WISELY. you can ovedo anything. Lytes are mostly malarky, as are ultra quick fuels.
Drink slowly and when thirsty.
Carry a candy bar
Listen to your body.
Face it , the advice you are going to get from GCN, only works if you are 20 and spend more time in shoes with cleats, than street shoes.
We mostly get overweight by not listening to our body.
Life is a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 06-15-21, 06:10 AM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1979schwinn
I mostly try to drink water and eat gummi bears every 20 minutes to keep from bonking.
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
NEVER LOSE WEIGHT ON THE BIKE. And always, always fuel your rides.
I am participating in a specialized weight loss program through a hospital. My treating physician, whose only practice is weight loss, is an avid bicyclist. They STRONGLY disagree with the above advice. Consuming sugar and "fueling your ride" is a great way to make sure that you never lose weight no matter how much you ride your bicycle. You are also training your body to NOT burn fat - which is a very bad thing if you are trying to lose weight or keep weight off.

Don't believe me? This article explains it well. If the subject of this article can run 1,000 miles in 12 days without relying on carbs, then you can ride 25 miles without gummi bears and gels.
https://www.nomeatathlete.com/burning-fat-for-fuel/

The OP had classic signs of dehydration. They should try drinking a lot more water on their next ride. If that doesn't make things better, they should consult with their physician.
Likes For VTBike:
Old 06-20-21, 11:49 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

If you are eating gummi bears to ride you need better advice, and prolly a dentist.
Waiting to bonk, is like using the guard rails to find the lane.
Your body has a meter for hydration, most people are sitting on it.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 06-20-21 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 06-21-21, 09:21 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You don't need to eat or drink on a 20 mile ride. If you are dehydrated, it is because you didn't drink enough yesterday. This time of year I need to drink at least a gallon of water a day, more if I am thirsty.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-24-21, 04:07 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
The thing is I tried to but 10 miles in my body started feeling weird already and I just thought it was one of those off days.
That's your body talking to you. I would not ignore it. You may want to go see your doctor and have them check you out, just to be safe. Be sure to explain this to them too.
Old 06-25-21, 12:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
for me when it is hot (like 90 ish and above) I hydrate before I go, carry water (both drink and put on jersey for cooling) and have an NUUN electrolyte drink when I get back

I also monitor my heart rate......when it is hot I hit my top end rate with much less cycling effort/speed than when it is colder, so I don't go above my max even if that means going slower

heat exhaustion and stroke are very real and dangerous, good idea to know the signs https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/warning.html

Old 06-25-21, 01:23 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Nasr313
I don’t want to snack for bike rides cause that defeats the purpose for me as I am trying to lose weight. I don’t know that I would really need to snack for a 20 mile ride please advise.
Good on you for getting into cycling to lose weight. Stick with it, ride 20 miles per day, 5 days per week, with 2 rest days in there somewhere, though not back-to-back, every single week for a year, and the weight will melt away, assuming you simply watch the amount of what you eat/drink when NOT on the bike.

I lost 57 lbs in the first 18 months of picking up cycling (225 lbs down to 168). I never skimped on eating or drinking while riding, and I always made sure to eat ~500-700 cals. as well as drink 16 oz of water, ~1 hr before the ride, and consumed ~100 cals. from simple carbs (Gu packs and/or the sugar in my water) every ~45 minutes, and drink ~16 oz. of water every hour or so, which will vary by temperature. And I didn't completely cut anything out of my off-bike diet, I just pulled back a little and had a bit less. Although I did learn that I rode better if I had no alcohol the day before a "big" ride.

Like was said earlier, cut back on calories when NOT riding, but I'd recommend to not cut back in the 2 hrs before, nor while on, the bike. Don't use the rides for weight loss, use them for muscle/fitness gains. And then when you have more muscle, you'll be able to ride faster/harder and burn more calories per hour, as well as have that new muscle burn calories for you even while you're not riding.

And don't worry about eating complex carbs WHILE riding less than ~2 hrs. It takes your body about 90 minutes to even digest an oat-y, nutty type protein bar, you might even be home before you get the energy benefits of that bar. You don't eat complex carbs for the riding you're doing now, you're eating complex carbs for the riding you'll be doing in 1.5 - 2 hrs. Simple carbs, like sugar in your water, or GU type gel packs, and even some bars with a good helping of sugary coatings or corn, rice, or sugar syrups in them are a different story and will typically break down much quicker.

Last edited by Riveting; 06-25-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-25-21, 02:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by VTBike
I am participating in a specialized weight loss program through a hospital. My treating physician, whose only practice is weight loss, is an avid bicyclist. They STRONGLY disagree with the above advice. Consuming sugar and "fueling your ride" is a great way to make sure that you never lose weight no matter how much you ride your bicycle. You are also training your body to NOT burn fat - which is a very bad thing if you are trying to lose weight or keep weight off.

Don't believe me? This article explains it well. If the subject of this article can run 1,000 miles in 12 days without relying on carbs, then you can ride 25 miles without gummi bears and gels.
https://www.nomeatathlete.com/burning-fat-for-fuel/

The OP had classic signs of dehydration. They should try drinking a lot more water on their next ride. If that doesn't make things better, they should consult with their physician.
sounds like the program is designed to go to ketosis.......which works for some and not for others like pretty much all weight loss stuff. A diet that results in ketosis is not sustainable long term for many people.

Old 06-25-21, 02:52 PM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
sounds like the program is designed to go to ketosis.......which works for some and not for others like pretty much all weight loss stuff. A diet that results in ketosis is not sustainable long term for many people.
Absolutely not. The program encourages balanced eating - which includes carbs. The only rule is that you do not eat processed food. So rice, for example, must be brown rice rather than white rice.

The very essence of the program is that they stress a diet that IS sustainable for the long term.
Old 06-25-21, 03:09 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Originally Posted by VTBike
Absolutely not. The program encourages balanced eating - which includes carbs. The only rule is that you do not eat processed food. So rice, for example, must be brown rice rather than white rice.

The very essence of the program is that they stress a diet that IS sustainable for the long term.
cool.... I got confused by the burning fat stuff so I got it wrong.

and brown rice is tastier than white any day

Old 06-30-21, 03:11 PM
bikebikebike

I love this "Burning Fat" narative.
What do you think you are? an oil lamp?
You want to lose weight , eat less, control your cravings
Hard to do? Yeah
Riding probably redirects your energy, changes your focus, shows you you can change, gets you out of the vicinity of the feed bag.
Magic diets? Sure every where, they are all magic. Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
All food is magic. Welcome to Hogwart's.
Geeze
Old 07-04-21, 07:28 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like you’re dehydrated, but probably not just from the ride. I try to drink one bottle per hour on hot days and I’m sweating hard. For 20 miles, you shouldn’t have to eat anything during the ride. Good luck and get back on your bike. Remember, it never gets easier, you just keep getting better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.