Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Leaving single pawl in a 120pt Chosen hub for noise reduction

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Leaving single pawl in a 120pt Chosen hub for noise reduction

Old 09-27-21, 08:38 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If the sound bothers your, either learn to live with it or learn Broadway show tunes and sing them at the top of your lungs while coasting. Quit trying to modify your free hub.
There is nothing one can do, latest bike fashion trends perpetuated by manufacturers are forcing people into desperate measures.

There are literally millions of hubs out there that will meet your needs if you want to build a new wheel. Look for something with fewer teeth on the engagement gear. Or look for older used hubs. Or look at another brand. I have several White Industry hubs that are quite, although older ones are a bit quieter than newer ones. Phil Wood hubs are relatively quiet.
So far only the Hadley seems to have the most pleasant/softest sound.

Well if that is the reason, then learn to live with the noise. On the other hand, you don’t need to “stock up” on cartridge bearings. They don’t wear out all that often. I have cartridge bearing hubs with tens of thousands of miles on them and I haven’t had to replace the bearings…ever. I’ve only every had to replace three or 4 cartridge bearings in hubs since I got my first cartridge bearing hub in 1984. One of those replacements was on a hub that I purchased for cheap at a bike swap because the seller didn’t understand that the bearings can be replaced. It’s still going strong.
The original Chinese ones seemed to be slightly notchy/gritty so I have been said to replace them. Then decided to keep the original ones until they develop play or severe notchiness.

Stronger how? Strength of spring depends more on the material and thickness of the rod use for the coil than length.

And either cutting the springs or installing shorter ones is just a bad idea. You would reduce the amount of the pawl that is engaged on the engagement ring so you are just catching the very edge of the teeth. You’ll either end up breaking teeth or not engaging at all. Again, quit trying to modify your hubs. It’s a really bad idea.
Doesn't pawls get forced more in to the theeth of engagement ring by pedalling. Springs are there to keep the contact with the engagement ring only.

If it is too complicated, then learn to live with what you have. Ignore it or learn show tunes. Oklahoma is a favorite of
Probably will have to learn to live with them since every new upgrade so far had different issues.
There is a reason why people are attracted to platitudes.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-27-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-27-21, 12:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
There is nothing one can do, latest bike fashion trends perpetuated by manufacturers are forcing people into desperate measures.
Sing louder.

It’s more than fashion. The more engagement points, the faster the pawls engage and the less lag there is to pedaling. Perhaps 120 teeth is a bit much but there is a reason for more teeth.
So far only the Hadley seems to have the most pleasant/softest sound.
So find some Hadleys. There are some old GT hubs that are Hadleys.

The original Chinese ones seemed to be slightly notchy/gritty so I have been said to replace them. Then decided to keep the original ones until they develop play or severe notchiness.
That’s still not a reason to keep the hub if you don’t like them. Bearings are cheap and last forever.

Doesn't pawls get forced more in to the theeth of engagement ring by pedalling. Springs are there to keep the contact with the engagement ring only.
No, not really. Without the springs, the pawls might move into partially move into place. But the mass of the pawls is very small and close to the center of rotation. They won’t get thrown out far enough without the springs. The springs are there to pop the pawls into the space behind the ramp of the teeth on the engagement ring. If the spring is shorter, it won’t pop in as far and thus not engage in the same way as with the proper spring. Bottom line, the springs have a purpose and it’s best not to go modifying the hub without thorough knowledge of their purpose.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-27-21, 01:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Desperate? Surely this is exaggeration. It just seems you have a part that you don't like and you don't want to get one that you might like.

I too don't like the noise the rear hub on my new bike makes. But the manufacturer hardly forced me to buy the bike. And I have the option to change it out whenever I care to.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-27-21, 05:04 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Iride01
Desperate? Surely this is exaggeration. It just seems you have a part that you don't like and you don't want to get one that you might like.

I too don't like the noise the rear hub on my new bike makes. But the manufacturer hardly forced me to buy the bike. And I have the option to change it out whenever I care to.
If product description doesn't include the noise it makes then seller and manufacturer is the only left who is responsible. Not every consumer has the time and patience to research millions of products or always learn the hard way since there are loads of other related and unrelated things that need to be sorted out at the same time.
Old 09-27-21, 07:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If product description doesn't include the noise it makes then seller and manufacturer is the only left who is responsible. Not every consumer has the time and patience to research millions of products or always learn the hard way since there are loads of other related and unrelated things that need to be sorted out at the same time.
No, 99.99999999% of the bicycle riders just don't care. Or if they do care they're able to get over it. The vast majority also buy their bikes at a shop and have the chance to listen to it before they buy. If they're buying a wheel chances are they've seen it in person and know what it sounds like.
Old 09-28-21, 06:01 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Well, if you really ride 3-8 hours a day in the early morning or at night, then your bike is going to wear out relatively quickly, so it is worth figuring out now what hub is going to work for you and then how you are going to get it.

Similarly, if you are going to buy a bicycle to ride for so long, a test ride is something in which it is worth investing some patience and time, rather than later wasting far more than that amount of time on forums expressing dissatisfaction which that test ride may have avoided.

Less waffle, more shuffle.
Old 09-28-21, 07:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If your freehub is in any violation of noise requirements and disclosures required by your government, then you should register a complaint.

However, I think what's in play here is that you, like me have been use to quiet freewheels and freehubs and finally after 50 years of riding bikes got something you don't like. I don't like my noisy freehub. When my hub or wheel is ready for replacement or I decide to get a better wheelset, it'll be on my list to get a quieter freehub.
Old 09-28-21, 09:16 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 09-28-21, 10:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
some products brag about the noise to quote from chris king web page "All Chris King rear hubs come with that signature, angry-bee sound."

Old 09-29-21, 12:48 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I would remove all the pawls

1. Even more silent
2. You already know it won’t engage so You won’t ride and won’t have an accident because of it.

Win-win

Likes For Kovkov:
Old 09-29-21, 05:08 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by cxwrench
No, 99.99999999% of the bicycle riders just don't care. Or if they do care they're able to get over it. The vast majority also buy their bikes at a shop and have the chance to listen to it before they buy. If they're buying a wheel chances are they've seen it in person and know what it sounds like.
Well how could they know if the freehub sounds a lot quieter before factory grease wears down? I could have sent the wheel back but since the bike was necessary for commuting then it was out of the question. And I wasn't sure back then about effects of the noise on mental fatigue/anxiety.
Old 09-29-21, 05:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
At this point it's clear you don't want to get a different hub that might better suit you. Go ahead and take out as many pawls as you like, report back on the results.
Old 09-29-21, 05:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
some products brag about the noise to quote from chris king web page "All Chris King rear hubs come with that signature, angry-bee sound."
I saw an interview with Chris King where he talked about wanting to design a silent hub and thought a roller clutch was the way to go. He said he was surprised to learn that so many riders actually wanted loud hubs, so that's what he made.
Old 09-29-21, 05:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Well how could they know if the freehub sounds a lot quieter before factory grease wears down? I could have sent the wheel back but since the bike was necessary for commuting then it was out of the question. And I wasn't sure back then about effects of the noise on mental fatigue/anxiety.
OK, I totally get hating a loud hub, but..... anxiety?
Old 09-29-21, 06:21 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
At this point it's clear you don't want to get a different hub that might better suit you. Go ahead and take out as many pawls as you like, report back on the results.
Sounds that way to me too. Seems the OP wants someone to suggest a magic potion or ritual that will solve the problem for them using their existing hub and simply doesn't want to listen to, "What you want isn't possible."

Been my experience that magic potions/rituals/wands/wizard's staffs exist in the worlds of Tolkien and Harry Potter, but not in the real world.
Old 09-29-21, 12:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

simple solution, go fixie. Noise "problem" fixed

Old 09-29-21, 12:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I don't know. If I were going down a hill at near 40 mph on a true fixie and clipped in to the pedals, I'd be screaming and making all sorts of noise. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-29-21, 12:58 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
My new Domane is very loud. I really don't mind and when I coast on the paths it is as attention getting as a bell. Also it lets all the unwashed masses know that I have a super fancy new bike. I didn't know it was gonna be so oud but wasn't too worked up about it when I noticed it.

My old Trek 2.3 is as silent as a ghost with sore feet.

Also ....three legged stools suck. I had some and the triangle design of the legs made e wobbly AF.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 09-30-21, 03:48 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm trying to find one currently. Even Shimano FH-MT401 with microspline only sounds loud and on the harsh side (metallic rattle).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...FcEMM7KsVBL15i

Last edited by sysrq; 09-30-21 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-30-21, 04:24 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Honestly, go to a reputable LBS in your area & ask them to recommend a quiet hub. If they are worth there reputation, they should know what to suggest & also provide you with preassembled wheel options, a service to build you what you are after, or use your existing wheel with the recommended hub. It will save you a lot of time potentially & the cost may be within reason, especially when it comes to setting it up for spoke tension with wheel trueness.
Old 09-30-21, 10:24 AM
squirtdad

my vote for quiet hub, is shimano ultegra 6800. But at this point I don't think it will matter, this will be problem for the OP no matter what. At this point it is not a technical issue, but personal perception issue.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-30-21, 07:37 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Even simpler: keep pedalling!
Old 09-30-21, 07:39 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
my vote for quiet hub, is shimano ultegra 6800.
I have this hub, and can confirm that it is very quiet.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 09-30-21, 08:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I'll add that the newer Ultegra and DA hubs are dead simple to adjust. No need for anxiety about fiddling with cone wrenches. Still be interested to see how the one pawl works.
Old 10-01-21, 12:15 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Troul
Honestly, go to a reputable LBS in your area & ask them to recommend a quiet hub. If they are worth there reputation, they should know what to suggest & also provide you with preassembled wheel options, a service to build you what you are after, or use your existing wheel with the recommended hub. It will save you a lot of time potentially & the cost may be within reason, especially when it comes to setting it up for spoke tension with wheel trueness.
Went to the bike shop located in a city centre and they couldn't understand the problem while saying that only expensive hubs have cartridge bearings. The only thing they could offer was overpriced 130mm OLD Shimano wheel, while I was asking for 135mm OLD.
Shame American Classic wheels have been discontinued, those seemed to have fairly pleasant ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.