Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica cutout vs 'traditional'

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 09:36 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts

Anyone have experience with both a Selle Anatomica cutout saddle and a Selle Anatomica non-slotted ‘traditional’ model? I’ve got a B17 that I like well enough, but I’d like a little more setback than I can get on the short rails (and yes, I know I can get a seat post with more setback). I tried an SA with the cutout and it just didn’t work for me- too flexy. I might have been able to reduce the flex some by tightening up the tension screw, but per the SA ‘try it/return’ policy they won’t accept a return if the tension screw has been tightened… And it generally felt like I just don’t really need a cutout saddle, but the positioning, length etc felt pretty good. I’m curious about the non-cutout, ‘traditional’ model. Can anyone compare/contrast SA cutout vs non-cutout?And wouldn’t it be great if this didn’t devolve into a thread of ‘I hate leather saddles because….’ & ‘I prefer this/that/the other brand of saddle’ etc etc. I’m asking specifically about SA cutout vs non-cutout. Ha, ha, ha, yeah, I know….. this is bikeforums after all…. thx
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 09-25-21, 09:40 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
I bought an X saddle without the cutout. I found it to be too hard for my bum...regular Brooks B-17's are more comfortable for me, but as always,saddles are a very personal choice. The selle Anatomica X I had was really well made tho...
Old 09-25-21, 10:53 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
I bought an X saddle without the cutout. I found it to be too hard for my bum...regular Brooks B-17's are more comfortable for me, but as always,saddles are a very personal choice. The selle Anatomica X I had was really well made tho...
Ah, that's interesting. I thought I'd read somewhere that SA's leather was softer than Brooks, but the leather on the X I tried seemed about the same as my B17 (other than the flexy-ness due to cutout). I agree, it was really well made- nicer seeming than my Brooks... and they're on sale which is why I'm wondering about the 'traditional' model. Interestingly, I just noticed in images on the SA website, it appears the rails on the cast aluminum model have a shorter section for the clamp than the steel model...
Old 09-25-21, 01:05 PM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Ah, that's interesting. I thought I'd read somewhere that SA's leather was softer than Brooks, but the leather on the X I tried seemed about the same as my B17 (other than the flexy-ness due to cutout). I agree, it was really well made- nicer seeming than my Brooks... and they're on sale which is why I'm wondering about the 'traditional' model. Interestingly, I just noticed in images on the SA website, it appears the rails on the cast aluminum model have a shorter section for the clamp than the steel model...
I thought so,too,but for me the B-17 felt much better right as opposed to the Selle Anatomica. I ended up selling it and the buyer likes it alot...Like I said,saddle choices are pretty personal
Old 09-25-21, 02:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,906 Posts
I use to get a lot of discomfort on/after long rides until I went with a drop nose cutout design. I use a Selle TRK, been eyeing up the avant lately... Next frame might get it.
Old 09-25-21, 03:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I’ve got a B17 that I like well enough, but I’d like a little more setback than I can get on the short rails (and yes, I know I can get a seat post with more setback).
I don't understand. You have a saddle you like, and you can make it work with a new seat post. Why don't you just buy the seat post?
Old 09-26-21, 04:50 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don't understand. You have a saddle you like, and you can make it work with a new seat post. Why don't you just buy the seat post?
I like the B17 'well enough'. I don't love it. My question is specifically about SA cutout vs non-cutout for several reasons, not about seat posts, not about other brands/types of saddles.