Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

$130.00 Grand Record.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

$130.00 Grand Record.

Old 07-10-22, 04:50 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Was the mixte a G Jubilee or a G Record?
Looked like a touring to me.
Old 07-10-22, 04:56 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Stem is actually a nitto!

Grand compe brakes

People actually did this years ago

Suits me better now but more changes to come.... Note the half step and granny on 144 campy!
It needs less chain but I'm not going to address that till I'm sure I'm done on the drive train.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-10-22, 04:58 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Super nice find! Other than tires, tubes, brake pads and perhaps the chain, a “fluff & buff” would you be all that I’d consider ..
Likes For sovende:
Old 07-10-22, 06:25 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster

Grand compe brakes
obviously the Gran Compe brakes aren't original, but they are good brakes and the black anodizing is a great touch!
What did it have originally?? My instinct says "Weinmann centerpulls", but MAFAC seems more likely.

People actually did this years ago
I've got a tripod that I bought from a friend in the late 70's, and it has his SSN on it. That was what the experts advised in order to recover stolen goods.
Of course, my SSN was also used as my military ID when in the Marines, and even that Big Yellow Machine company here in Peoria liked to use it instead of a proper employee ID number. The invention of the internet changed things, of course.

Steve in Peoria
(and that Big Yellow Machine company is no longer headquartered in Peoria... or Illinois...)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 07-10-22, 06:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
obviously the Gran Compe brakes aren't original, but they are good brakes and the black anodizing is a great touch!
What did it have originally?? My instinct says "Weinmann centerpulls", but MAFAC seems more likely.

I've got a tripod that I bought from a friend in the late 70's, and it has his SSN on it. That was what the experts advised in order to recover stolen goods.
Of course, my SSN was also used as my military ID when in the Marines, and even that Big Yellow Machine company here in Peoria liked to use it instead of a proper employee ID number. The invention of the internet changed things, of course.

Steve in Peoria
(and that Big Yellow Machine company is no longer headquartered in Peoria... or Illinois...)
I worked there for too many years.
And weinmann center pulls would have been stock.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 07-10-22 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 10:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Looked like a touring to me.
DOH!

Did it again, meant touring.
Old 07-11-22, 07:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by merziac
DOH!

Did it again, meant touring.
I think the big difference between the two is the fork. I have a gt mixte I want to build for my gf. It's actually a really nice frameset.

I had it set up like this at one time.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-11-22, 02:56 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
Between the AD and the Grand Record, you've really been winning lately!
Congrats!
Likes For daverup:
Old 07-11-22, 02:59 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by daverup
Between the AD and the Grand Record, you've really been winning lately!
Congrats!
The AD is with gugie so I needed another waaay cool ride while he works on it. Gonna take a night ride on it tonight
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-11-22, 04:18 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
531 + 1st-Gen Cyclone... it's like I built it up myself! Nice score, mister.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 07-11-22, 05:53 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Official old man Russell rando build. 35s, half step and granny, barcons and 23"-93" gears and a front rack sturdy enough for an overnight camping trip.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-11-22, 09:41 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Well, right on, then! 👍 I like your lighting setup. That's a tricky chore, usually, to get them where the people behind you can actually see you, and you can actually see where you're going. 🤔😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-12-22, 12:18 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
It's hard to see in the pick but the fork is 531 as well.
Most likely not a Reynolds steerer though. They "cheated", though the decal is the "full" 531 variant, they used a lesser steerer on mine, a black/red '74. I think it may have been a Nervor steerer (note, not Nervar, not Nervex, but Nervor). They were bulged in the middle — between the crown and the threads they were a larger OD. Just a little, you might not even notice, except when I tried to mill the crown race seat down to Campy size, the milling tool wouldn't fit over the steerer, so I had to hand-file the crown seat.

The steerer on mine was definitely strong enough, because I tested it! I rode it into a hole so large that I went over the bars and bent both fork blades, but the steerer didn't bend. TT and DT didn't kink either (that I could tell), just the blades bent. I scored a deal on a black Paramount fork with a Nervex Pro crown in chrome, that looked excellent on it though not the same as new obviously. And took a 7/8" stem quill and English thread headset. Rode that a couple more years before selling it. I wish I'd kept it! It took me across the continent with a full camping load in '76, fond memories.

Mark B

EDIT: Oops I see now your decal says 3 tubes 531, so a non-Reynolds steerer would not be cheating. My own GR had the "full 531" sticker.
Mine came with Universal 61 brakes. I know they were original because I was the person who took the bike out of the box that was stapled shut in France. We sold a lot of Motos, even a fair number of GRs. I think I opened a few GR boxes to pick my favorite when it was time to buy one for me. TA cranks on mine.

Last edited by bulgie; 07-12-22 at 12:29 AM. Reason: oops
Likes For bulgie:
Old 07-12-22, 12:57 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
One of the few paint schemes that absolutely needs a particular color of housing, dark red.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-12-22, 05:57 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Most likely not a Reynolds steerer though. They "cheated", though the decal is the "full" 531 variant, they used a lesser steerer on mine, a black/red '74. I think it may have been a Nervor steerer (note, not Nervar, not Nervex, but Nervor). They were bulged in the middle — between the crown and the threads they were a larger OD. Just a little, you might not even notice, except when I tried to mill the crown race seat down to Campy size, the milling tool wouldn't fit over the steerer, so I had to hand-file the crown seat.

The steerer on mine was definitely strong enough, because I tested it! I rode it into a hole so large that I went over the bars and bent both fork blades, but the steerer didn't bend. TT and DT didn't kink either (that I could tell), just the blades bent. I scored a deal on a black Paramount fork with a Nervex Pro crown in chrome, that looked excellent on it though not the same as new obviously. And took a 7/8" stem quill and English thread headset. Rode that a couple more years before selling it. I wish I'd kept it! It took me across the continent with a full camping load in '76, fond memories.

Mark B

EDIT: Oops I see now your decal says 3 tubes 531, so a non-Reynolds steerer would not be cheating. My own GR had the "full 531" sticker.
Mine came with Universal 61 brakes. I know they were original because I was the person who took the bike out of the box that was stapled shut in France. We sold a lot of Motos, even a fair number of GRs. I think I opened a few GR boxes to pick my favorite when it was time to buy one for me. TA cranks on mine.
I wonder if Reynolds made a metric gauge steerer tube - all of the Gitane TdFs I've had were fitted with Nervor steerers. For that matter, my Swiss Allegro, with thinner-walled metric 531, also has a Nervor steerer.
Old 07-12-22, 06:29 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I wonder if Reynolds made a metric gauge steerer tube - all of the Gitane TdFs I've had were fitted with Nervor steerers. For that matter, my Swiss Allegro, with thinner-walled metric 531, also has a Nervor steerer.
Yes they did, I've seen plenty of them. I have two or three metric 531 steerers in stock at the moment, but no crowns with a 25 mm hole in them! I'll probably use these steerers to graft onto forks with a too-short steerer. Since my steerer-stretcher is on the fritz.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 07-12-22, 10:03 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Official old man Russell rando build. 35s, half step and granny, barcons and 23"-93" gears and a front rack sturdy enough for an overnight camping trip.
I like repurposing old tail lights with new led bulbs with built in stand lights. Jan Heine sells the bulbs. They look cool and actually function.

Grand Record

Trek 720
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-12-22, 10:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by bulgie

Mark B

I'm thinking the stays are something lesser but it rides really well. Much quicker handling than my old grand touring and lighter. Honestly though pretty much every moto I've ridden was at least pleasant if not quite nice. I think this is a long term keeper. Also, try not to go over the bars. You can get hurt.
Old 07-12-22, 10:45 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I think the big difference between the two is the fork. I have a gt mixte I want to build for my gf. It's actually a really nice frameset.

I had it set up like this at one time.
I have a GJ mixte, quite a bit of difference between it and the Grand Touring. The GJ had a partially Reynolds 531 frame with beautiful nervex lugs. Not so with the GT. Also, the RD was the exotic long cage Huret Jubilee. There was no mixte Grand Record.
For the record, I have matching red/black men's and mixte GJs, four GRs and a 73 LeChampion.
Nice catch, BTW, How did I not see this? was it in the Peoria CL?

Last edited by motogeek; 07-12-22 at 10:49 AM.
Likes For motogeek:
Old 07-12-22, 12:37 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by motogeek
I have a GJ mixte, quite a bit of difference between it and the Grand Touring. The GJ had a partially Reynolds 531 frame with beautiful nervex lugs. Not so with the GT. Also, the RD was the exotic long cage Huret Jubilee. There was no mixte Grand Record.
For the record, I have matching red/black men's and mixte GJs, four GRs and a 73 LeChampion.
It was on Facebook marketplace in Iowa. I sometimes troll areas I will be driving through.
Old 07-12-22, 12:38 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Btw I wish I had a long cage jubilee but will have to go with suntour for now. They work pretty well
Old 07-12-22, 03:42 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Btw I wish I had a long cage jubilee but will have to go with suntour for now. They work pretty well

Next time you're in Morton you should stop by and see my Moto collection. I'm just three blocks off the Morton-EPeo trail.
Likes For motogeek:
Old 07-12-22, 03:57 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Next time you're in Morton you should stop by and see my Moto collection. I'm just three blocks off the Morton-EPeo trail.
Holy cow, I had no idea. Once in a great while I play music in Morton.
Old 07-12-22, 04:09 PM
motogeek 

Holy cow, I had no idea. Once in a great while I play music in Morton.

We may have discussed this before COVID. Did you play at Unum?
Likes For motogeek:
Old 07-12-22, 04:11 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

We may have discussed this before COVID. Did you play at Unum?
I did at least 3 times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.