Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Old 07-31-22, 10:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
... ranting on and on about driving his firetruck around and around and around, ....

...*sigh*....... those were good times.
Old 08-01-22, 07:21 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if she steps down...

But she seems determined NOT to step down.

https://hudsonreporter.com/2022/07/2...d-keeps-going/

Jersey City Councilwoman Amy DeGise will not resign from office despite calls to do so after CCTV footage released by the city shows she struck a cyclist at an intersection without stopping afterwards.

Her spokesman, Phil Swibinski, told the New Jersey Globe that she “plans to complete her full term and continue in public service.”

“Councilwoman DeGise was elected overwhelmingly just a few months ago and she has no intention of walking away from the commitment she made to serve the people of Jersey City,” he said.

A rally to call for DeGise’s resignation is set to be held tomorrow on the block of Newark Avenue at Bay Street in Downtown at 3 p.m..
Old 08-01-22, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
The vehicle operator might just be tired of being impeded by darwinism & had to drop a hot #2.
Having ridden in Jersey City more than 15 times, I can tell you that riding like that in that part of the city is not a good idea, to put it mildly.
Old 08-01-22, 08:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Having ridden in Jersey City more than 15 times, I can tell you that riding like that in that part of the city is not a good idea, to put it mildly.

Careful now, our Iowan friend will now claim you're "implying" it was a good idea to ride like that everywhere else and drivers are responsible for not hitting anyone who does, and cell phones and whatever anyone else has posted in the last two decades.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-01-22, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Careful now, our Iowan friend will now claim you're "implying" it was a good idea to ride like that everywhere else and drivers are responsible for not hitting anyone who does, and cell phones and whatever anyone else has posted in the last two decades.
i pretty much ignore him. Something serious going on there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-01-22, 09:46 AM
work4bike

What's funny is that at the 35-second point of the video (in post #77) the guy on the bike says, "I was about to look right....and then I got hit".

If you're going to run a stop light, you should probably look both directions before you're halfway thru the intersection
Likes For work4bike:
Old 08-01-22, 10:17 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by work4bike

If you're going to run a stop light, you should probably look both directions before you're halfway thru the intersection
...which is what drivers of emergency vehicles are trained to do, regardless of right of way. What's the deal with you ? Is there some sort of profound cognitive dissonance going on ?
Old 08-01-22, 10:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
How to run a red light.
How not to run a red light.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-01-22, 10:41 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by wolfchild
That driver is innocent and shouldn`t face any hit and run charges...The cyclist is 100% at fault here.
No, this is very wrong.

The legal requirement to stop is is not released if the other person is at fault.

Put another way, the fact that one person did something illegal doesn't mean the other person can't do something illegal.

(The driver isn't "innocent" of "hit and run".)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-01-22, 10:57 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by zandoval
Driver and other traffic at fault for not stopping to render aid.
Spectators at fault for not rendering aid as well.
The law doesn't mention any requirement to "render aid".
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-01-22, 11:03 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...which is what drivers of emergency vehicles are trained to do, regardless of right of way. What's the deal with you ? Is there some sort of profound cognitive dissonance going on ?
are you talking about? Where in all my 4-posts on this thread did I address how emergency vehicles drive thru an intersection?

I have no problem with how emergency vehicles drive thru intersections, I've see it enough and seems to me, like they do a pretty good job at it; a much better than that cyclist.

My last post you quoted, was simply making fun of the cyclist.

Old 08-01-22, 11:12 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The law doesn't mention any requirement to "render aid".
You are so right... But I do think that most of us on this forum would have... At least I hope so...
Old 08-01-22, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You are so right... But I do think that most of us on this forum would have... At least I hope so...

Sorry, but njkayaker is completely wrong.

This is what the statute actually says:
c)The driver of any vehicle knowingly involved in an accident resulting in injury or death to any person or damage to any vehicle or property shall give his name and address and exhibit his operator's license and registration certificate of his vehicle to the person injured or whose vehicle or property was damaged and to any police officer or witness of the accident, and to the driver or occupants of the vehicle collided with and render to a person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including the carrying of that person to a hospital or a physician for medical or surgical treatment, if it is apparent that the treatment is necessary or is requested by the injured person.

I won't be reading the inevitable quibble that it says "render assistance" instead of "render aid", but you were entirely correct.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-01-22, 11:22 AM
njkayaker

Looks like...Driver and other traffic at fault for not stopping to render aid.
The law does require "reasonable assistance" (which is kind of vague). (I missed this section.)

"Aid" suggests "first aid" (direct medical intervention), which the law does not specifically require. Some states appear to use the word "aid".

Risking 3A getting his knickers in a knot, "aid" would be a poor word to use.

(c)The driver of any vehicle knowingly involved in an accident resulting in injury or death to any person or damage to any vehicle or property shall give his name and address and exhibit his operator's license and registration certificate of his vehicle to the person injured or whose vehicle or property was damaged and to any police officer or witness of the accident, and to the driver or occupants of the vehicle collided with and render to a person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including the carrying of that person to a hospital or a physician for medical or surgical treatment, if it is apparent that the treatment is necessary or is requested by the injured person.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-01-22 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-01-22, 11:58 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

are you talking about? Where in all my 4-posts on this thread did I address how emergency vehicles drive thru an intersection?

I have no problem with how emergency vehicles drive thru intersections, I've see it enough and seems to me, like they do a pretty good job at it; a much better than that cyclist.

...it began with this exchange, and gradually picked up downhill speed from there.

Originally Posted by Daniel4

Not siding with the cyclist but even ambulance drivers slow down at intersections with their sirens blaring.
Not likely when the ambulance driver, or anybody else has the green light.
Here it is accelerating, approaching an intersection:

Did you slow down when you were driving in an emergency situation as you approached every intersection even when you had a green light and an apparent clear right of way? How slow did you go? How long would you have remained employed as a driver of an emergency response vehicle once the family of any of your passengers reported you for doing that?
What speed did you slow down to in order to assure that you wouldn't have to answer for possibly having any possible contact with something/anything that might come from somewhere/anywhere?

The question still stands - how much should drivers slow down when approaching and passing through every intersection with a green light and a clear right right of way?
Crawl though green lights? Not likely!

Any driver without flashing lights and sirens crawling through intersections dead slow even though they have a green light and a clear right of way can count on being rear ended by one of those other motorists driving too fast following too close and generally NOT PAYING ATTENTION!
And finally, at full escape velocity. Ground control to Major Tom.

A few posters recommend or allege that safety (or continued employment) dictates that good drivers slow down or even crawl through intersections dead slow, and it doesn't matter if the driver has a clear right of way. I

I would recommend that every motorist who makes a practice of driving like that be required to install emergency lights on their vehicle and keep them flashing at all times as a warning to other drivers to keep clear of the oh-so-cautious driver in front of them who may choose to slow down for no apparent reason, just like phantom braking in some defective cars. I would also affix a big sign like this to the back of my vehicle;

or maybe add a few hazardous material placards to keep all these "bad drivers" at a safe distance from my unexpected "slowing down" for whatever hazards I imagine could appear in any intersection.

Maybe blasting a super loud siren when approaching every intersection.will help at keeping anybody from getting too close.
Just the threads where some character wants to keep babbling like he used to in Trollheim; such as ranting on and on about driving his firetruck around and around and around, or sniping with snarky cute comments for the amusement of equally smug jokers.
You really can't make this stuff up. This is why, after all these years, I still enjoy teh Beikforooms.
Old 08-01-22, 12:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...but I guess this is pointless, since you only recall posting in this thread four times.
Old 08-01-22, 12:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Risking 3A getting his knickers in a knot, "aid" would be a poor word to use.
...why would I care what you call it ? "Assistance" or "aid" can be as simple as dragging the guy out of the roadway so he doesn't get run over again.
Old 08-01-22, 12:10 PM
work4bike

...but I guess this is pointless, since you only recall posting in this thread four times.
Four times prior to my last post, this post makes six posts. I don't care what other people have posted, but you seem to just wrap my post up with all the others...now who's showing cognitive dissonance?
Old 08-01-22, 12:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

...why would I care what you call it ? "Assistance" or "aid" can be as simple as dragging the guy out of the roadway so he doesn't get run over again.
Assistance and aid are synonyms. As I predicted, he draws the distinction without a difference after I called him on the obvious honking error he made.
Old 08-01-22, 12:56 PM
njkayaker

"Assistance" or "aid" can be as simple as dragging the guy out of the roadway so he doesn't get run over again.
https://unifirstfirstaidandsafety.co...njured-victim/

As a general rule, you should not move a casualty from the place of the accident. You should only move a victim if they are in uncontrollable danger, if the safety of the situation is not assured, and if you are able to take action without placing yourself at risk. If necessary, move them to the nearest safe location. If the victim is conscious explain what you are going to do and ask for their cooperation.
Old 08-01-22, 01:02 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Assistance and aid are synonyms. As I predicted, he draws the distinction without a difference after I called him on the obvious honking error he made.
They aren't equivalent words. That you can't see that is your problem. The "honking error" is that problem of yours.

The law uses "assistance" instead of "aid". It's likely the choice was deliberate. But you apparently have no idea about that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-01-22 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 01:36 PM
work4bike

Interesting news story on DeGise and the pressure put on her to resign. What's new here is that it shows the same video as before of her entering a police station to report the accident, but it turns out it was six hours after the accident

Still unanswered is if she was contacted by police or if she came in on her own.

Also, what's interesting, if you look at the accident, starting at the 15-second point of the video and play it at 1/4-speed it seems as if there is zero reaction when she hits the cyclist. Crazy

Old 08-01-22, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

https://www.lexico.com/synonyms/assistance

Synonyms of assistance in English:

assistance

See US English definition of assistance

See UK English definition of assistance

See Spanish definition of ayuda

NOUN

1‘they said that they could manage and did not need assistance’
SYNONYMS
help, aid, abettance, support, backing, succour, encouragement, reinforcement, relief, intervention, cooperation, collaboration
a helping hand, a hand, a good turn, a favour, a kindness
ministrations, offices, services
informal a break, a leg up
rare easement
Old 08-01-22, 01:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I'm not siding with the hit-and-run perpetrator, but I notice the interviewer didn't even challenge the 'victim' why he entered the intersection against the red light which he knew he had because the car right next to him was fully stopped and remained stopped.

0:54 "He isn't angry at DeGise, but made one thing clear."

When asked, "Do you think Amy DeGise is a criminal?"

His reply "She committed a crime...everybody should be processed legally...She has to be charged."

What about his own offence of running a red? He should be charged for that. If he hadn't committed his offence, she wouldn't have committed hers.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-01-22 at 02:04 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-01-22, 01:56 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

As a general rule, you should not move a casualty from the place of the accident. You should only move a victim if they are in uncontrollable danger, if the safety of the situation is not assured, and if you are able to take action without placing yourself at risk. If necessary, move them to the nearest safe location. If the victim is conscious explain what you are going to do and ask for their cooperation.

https://unifirstfirstaidandsafety.co...njured-victim/
...thank you. How is that different from : " 'Assistance' or 'aid' can be as simple as dragging the guy out of the roadway so he doesn't get run over again." ? I'm genuinely curious. Is it because it uses different words ? Is that the problem ? Or are you simply in agreement ? It's difficult to tell with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.