Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Real-Time On-Bike Headwind Indicator

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Real-Time On-Bike Headwind Indicator

Old 08-25-22, 01:35 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by tessellahedron
you're taking about a different type of power meter. I only researched handlebar mounted devices because the others clearly wouldn't have a wind reading. The only crank based one I saw was a really old picture.
ok, i'm not sure what "really old picture" you saw but when you refer to "power meters" and bicycles in the 21st century, these kind of devices are what everyone will think you're talking about. they measure force at the pedal, crank arm, or crank spindle:

Likes For mschwett:
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
if you think about how a strain gauge works, reasonable to think it would need to know the temperature to correlate the response of the material to power, right?
Wrong. Temperature compensation is not the same as temperature measurement. Placement of multiple strain gauges along different axes can compensate for temperature without an direct measurement.
Likes For asgelle:
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I thought this was a fairly normal reaction, and the logical next thought is, "how fast is this accursed wind anyway?" "What would be my equivalent ride distance with no wind?" "At what wind level do I give up?"
Wind speed has crossed my mind, but only as a curiosity, not as an actionable figure. It's not like I'm going to be okay 15mph winds but then pack it in when it tips to 16.

"What would be my equivalent ride distance with no wind?" is a nonsensical question without a host of other factors, such as, oh, power.
Old 08-25-22, 01:37 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://notio.ai/products/notio-ride-tracker
https://velocomp.com/collections/power-meters
https://cdacrr.blogspot.com/
https://www.instructables.com/Biking-Headwind-Monitor/

now you know as much as I do. All measure wind but I doubt any of those will work easily.

so the idea of just getting a power monitor could work but my concern is price. What's the low end?
Old 08-25-22, 01:37 PM
WhyFi

you're taking about a different type of power meter.
No, he's talking about power meters.
Old 08-25-22, 01:38 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Wrong. Temperature compensation is not the same as temperature measurement. Placement of multiple strain gauges along different axes can compensate for temperature without an direct measurement.
interesting - would it be easier to do it that way than just measure temperature? or more accurate?
Old 08-25-22, 01:38 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Wind speed has crossed my mind, but only as a curiosity, not as an actionable figure. It's not like I'm going to be okay 15mph winds but then pack it in when it tips to 16.

"What would be my equivalent ride distance with no wind?" is a nonsensical question without a host of other factors, such as, oh, power.
On mywindsock.com they talk about virtual mountains. That's exactly what I mean.
Old 08-25-22, 01:42 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No, he's talking about power meters.
Old 08-25-22, 01:46 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Direct force power meters, which are the vast majority in use, use strain gauges - no wind wizardry needed. There's are some meters, like the PowerPod, that infer power by way of incorporating air speed, bike speed, acceleration, slope, etc. I would assume that you'd be able to easily tease out wind speed with one of those devices, but I don't know - meaning I've never looked for it - if that's a data field that head unit manufacturers have embraced/made available.
Woah - I've never heard of this type of power meter before. It also seems to solve exactly what the OP is looking for (which any type of power meter would also solve).
https://powermetercity.com/product/p...d-power-meter/

It kind of makes sense - measure the wind instead of the power - but there are so many other factors that come into play (gradient, weight, rolling resistance, etc) that I'm confused about how this works without making a bunch of estimations/assumptions. Riding at 15mph with a 15mph tailwind is easy, but it isn't 0 watts.
Old 08-25-22, 01:54 PM
WhyFi

I've already mention this exact product - I don't need you to tell me about it. But yeah, not really a power meter - it measures everything but power and then maths it out. Direct force power meters are what the vast majority of people think of when "power meter" is mentioned and they are far, far more common. PowerPods/AeroPods are more of a curiosity except for those doing some in-depth testing for aero, Crr, etc.
Old 08-25-22, 01:54 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Woah - I've never heard of this type of power meter before. It also seems to solve exactly what the OP is looking for (which any type of power meter would also solve).
https://powermetercity.com/product/p...d-power-meter/

It kind of makes sense - measure the wind instead of the power - but there are so many other factors that come into play (gradient, weight, rolling resistance, etc) that I'm confused about how this works without making a bunch of estimations/assumptions. Riding at 15mph with a 15mph tailwind is easy, but it isn't 0 watts.
I checked and any type of power meter is going to be over the budget I'd picked for an anemometer.

the average mobile phone contains enough sensors to build a basic missile guidance system. Maybe that's why the handlebar power meters are about the same price.
Old 08-25-22, 02:05 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I live in Wyoming. Wind is a given. I can tell if it's too strong to ride and I go home. Don't need the details.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 08-25-22, 03:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
https://notio.ai/products/notio-ride-tracker
https://velocomp.com/collections/power-meters
https://cdacrr.blogspot.com/
https://www.instructables.com/Biking-Headwind-Monitor/

now you know as much as I do. All measure wind but I doubt any of those will work easily.

so the idea of just getting a power monitor could work but my concern is price. What's the low end?
About $250 new. https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-arm-172-5mm-1
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-25-22, 06:50 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
There is an app called "Windy" that I used while touring in Mongolia. It does detailed wind forecasts.
Likes For Yan:
Old 08-25-22, 07:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
That 6 mph forecast is the model output for a grid point, maybe tweaked a little by a human, but it is based on large scale weather events and big terrestrial features like mountain ranges or large bodies of water.

The wind direction and speed a cyclist sees bears only the most general relation to the nominal forecast or what any particular terrestrial station is reporting. Terrain routinely causes right-angle bends in wind flow and vortices that can reverse it 180°. Wind tends to blow straight down tree or house-lined roads, regardless of overall pressure gradient direction. Pressure gradients compress and intensify along ridges or rows of buildings when direction is parallel and the same features serve as windbreaks when the direction is perpendicular. Racing sailors see these effects every time they round a point, sail under a bluff, or enter a river. It’s just way more intense and complex on land.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-25-22, 07:23 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is really flat, open country on the edge of the great plains. I've noticed those effects in town but as soon as I leave it's more predictable.
the direction forecast is very likely to be accurate, and the speed most likely low.

all these complications made me want to just measure for myself.

plus this started when I was riding to and from the store 15 miles away. It's different from riding for fun because I can't just quit, or I miss the store (I think I did do that once though).

for now I'm going to try sailflow.com and windy.com and return the stupid anemometer.
Old 08-26-22, 08:50 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not sure a handheld windspeed indicator is going to provide much valuable info once you're out on the bike. At that point, you've already made the decision to ride and selected a direction. If a headwind or crosswind is too stiff, you just turn around. I'm not sure why you'd need to see data to confirm that decision.
Seems about as effective as mounting an inclinometer in order to determine when you're on a hill.
Old 08-26-22, 09:09 AM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For those invisible hills you're absolutely right!
Old 08-26-22, 10:06 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
This thread is a wild ride.

I've worked on airspeed measuring devices, both to infer power by assuming drag parameters, and combined with an exogenous power measuring device to infer drag parameters. Measuring windspeed or airspeed on a bike isn't *that* hard, but measuring it to high precision and accuracy is. Most of the cheap options are perfectly fine for common uses, but inadequate for some of the kinds of calculations that obsessive people need.

The Aeropod/iBike/PowerPod sorta work, but they're a PITA to set up and calibrate. Considering the options below, I don't bother.

Modern strain gage power meters often have temperature compensation built-in, but they don't have thermometers per se. As Asgelle says, temp compensation is possible w/o knowing the actual temperature. The Quarq DZero has "automatic" temp compensation, but you can also trigger a torque re-zeroing mid-ride. Most "modern" strain gage power meters also have a way to trigger re-zeroing mid-ride.

Just before the pandemic, I bought a used Power Tap wheel as a spare that works perfectly for $150.

If you're truly interested in wind, Pierre's CdACrr app works and you can find a link to an on-bike anemometer on his blog (that costs about $90). He mostly is interested in recording the data and doing post hoc analysis but his app does have a "real-time" mode. But it sounds like you're not directly interested in wind, you're really more interested in measuring how the demand for power increases with the wind. So although $90 is pretty cheap, I'm not sure it's what you really want. I have a handheld Kestrel 5100 anemometer that I mount on a tripod for stationary work, but it costs $300+.

Or you could skip all this and just check with the Weather Service to find out what the wind forecast and measurements are. Note that "official" wind speed measurements are assumed to be 10m above the ground. And, as Bob Dylan pointed out, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-26-22, 10:13 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I've already mention this exact product - I don't need you to tell me about it. But yeah, not really a power meter - it measures everything but power and then maths it out. Direct force power meters are what the vast majority of people think of when "power meter" is mentioned and they are far, far more common. PowerPods/AeroPods are more of a curiosity except for those doing some in-depth testing for aero, Crr, etc.
I looked at the specs and "tech" on the website for that thing, and cannot figure out how it's supposed to work based on speed, acceleration, cadence, and wind. For all it knows, if I'm moving the pedals (soft pedaling) and basically putting no power to the rear wheel while coasting down a steep hill, the device sees acceleration, an increase in wind speed, and movement of the crank and extrapolates a power number. I'm betting it would read much higher than my actual, crank based power meter - the one sans pitot tube, baro sensor, etc.
Old 08-26-22, 10:31 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Meh. If you're riding at, say, 200 watts, a headwind will slow you down and a tailwind will speed you up. But it's still 200 watts.
that's true and i fully agree with you. but...it can really be demoralizing when heading into a 20mph west wind for an hour with no let up at all. i still do it though.
Old 08-26-22, 10:41 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by kwb377
Seems about as effective as mounting an inclinometer in order to determine when you're on a hill.
Most cycling computers have an altimeter, which will display elevation. They usually work by measuring barometric pressure, and will provide a slope gradient by comparing elevation with distance.

I don't need this info to know that I'm "on a hill", but I do like to know the gradient of climbs, especially if they're big ones.
Old 08-26-22, 10:44 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I looked at the specs and "tech" on the website for that thing, and cannot figure out how it's supposed to work based on speed, acceleration, cadence, and wind. For all it knows, if I'm moving the pedals (soft pedaling) and basically putting no power to the rear wheel while coasting down a steep hill, the device sees acceleration, an increase in wind speed, and movement of the crank and extrapolates a power number. I'm betting it would read much higher than my actual, crank based power meter - the one sans pitot tube, baro sensor, etc.
It has a barometric altimeter and a multi-axis accelerometer (so essentially it has an inclinometer). It doesn't have a built-in speed or cadence sensor; you can link those if you have them.

The idea and theory of these devices is solid; I use the same principles myself. In practice, the implementation of the theory to an actual product is less happy.
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-26-22, 10:46 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Most cycling computers have an altimeter, which will display elevation. They usually work by measuring barometric pressure, and will provide a slope gradient by comparing elevation with distance.

I don't need this info to know that I'm "on a hill", but I do like to know the gradient of climbs, especially if they're big ones.
A good power meter substitutes for an altimeter better than an altimeter works as a power meter.
Old 08-26-22, 11:05 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by RChung
A good power meter substitutes for an altimeter better than an altimeter works as a power meter.
I'm not suggesting that an altimeter is a substitute for a power meter. I also don't think a power meter is a very good substitute for an altimeter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.