Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it a good idea to buy this used Ridley bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-26-22, 01:09 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

i found this old Ridley bike for $350. No info about it on the internet, so i'm asking .. should i buy it or keep looking.
There is a shortage of bikes in my city (even in Decathlon)
parts : new Continental tires, very old Shimano 105, bike seat very used

ridley

Last edited by mawn; 08-26-22 at 01:12 PM. Reason: new data
Old 08-26-22, 01:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Is it the right size for you? $350 isn't bad if it's in good shape and you can ride it. You probably want to find a seat you like, anyway.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 01:47 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
It looks like 9-speed 105, which puts the components at around 18 yrs old, IIRC? Ultegra went with the integrated axle crank and 10-speed in 2005, so I can't imagine 105 would've been that far behind.

Probably a 56-57cm frame is my guess - but the camera angle's a bit weird, so not super sure.

Seems fine overall, if it's your size - if you're willing to put in $50-100 for a new seat, and maybe $50 for a new stem if the current one's too long or too short, should be a fine bike.

If anything, those look like they might be GP5000, which means you're getting $100 worth of tires right off the bat if nothing else works out!
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 08-26-22, 01:50 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Is this from a shop or a private seller? If private seller, ask for the serial number and run it by your local PD to see if it's been reported as stolen.
Otherwise, seems like a steal!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-26-22, 02:12 PM
mawn

Originally Posted by big john
Is it the right size for you? $350 isn't bad if it's in good shape and you can ride it. You probably want to find a seat you like, anyway.
yes its my size but it seem aggressive.. this my first road bike. i'm not sure if i can handle 50+ miles.

Originally Posted by aliasfox
It looks like 9-speed 105, which puts the components at around 18 yrs old, IIRC? Ultegra went with the integrated axle crank and 10-speed in 2005, so I can't imagine 105 would've been that far behind.

Probably a 56-57cm frame is my guess - but the camera angle's a bit weird, so not super sure.

Seems fine overall, if it's your size - if you're willing to put in $50-100 for a new seat, and maybe $50 for a new stem if the current one's too long or too short, should be a fine bike.

If anything, those look like they might be GP5000, which means you're getting $100 worth of tires right off the bat if nothing else works out!
The bike is upside down, that's why it looks weird.
Yes its my size but it seem aggressive.. this my first road bike. i'm not sure if i can handle 50+ miles.
can i replace the 105's in case of a problem?

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Is this from a shop or a private seller? If private seller, ask for the serial number and run it by your local PD to see if it's been reported as stolen.
Otherwise, seems like a steal!
Those bikes in a used-bikes shop come from Belgium.. i can't check the serial number.
Old 08-26-22, 02:26 PM
big john

Originally Posted by mawn
yes its my size but it seem aggressive.. this my first road bike. i'm not sure if i can handle 50+ miles.

The bike is upside down, that's why it looks weird.
Yes its my size but it seem aggressive.. this my first road bike. i'm not sure if i can handle 50+ miles.
can i replace the 105's in case of a problem?

Those bikes in a used-bikes shop come from Belgium.. i can't check the serial number.
None of us did 50 miles when we first got on a road bike. What do you mean replace the 105s? If the shifter quits working you might be able to find used parts. Is it 9 or 10 speed?
You could put other parts on there if need be.
Old 08-26-22, 02:36 PM
mawn

Originally Posted by big john
None of us did 50 miles when we first got on a road bike. What do you mean replace the 105s? If the shifter quits working you might be able to find used parts. Is it 9 or 10 speed?
You could put other parts on there if need be.
I mean the Derailleurs.. can i replace the front and back?
i think a 9 speed.. so its possible to add 1 or 2?
Thank you so much!
Old 08-26-22, 02:45 PM
aliasfox

Yes, you can replace the 105 if needed. I think 9-speed Sora, which is currently on the market, would be the drop-in replacement. However, if you're thinking that the 105 is high-mileage, and too old to last very long, it might be better just to buy a new Sora bike instead (wait for a Decathlon to come in stock). Parts and labor add up quick, and like I mentioned, if that's 9-speed 105, it's coming on close to 20 years, and might have 20k miles/30k km on the derailleurs, cassette, and chainrings.

Will you have a chance to test-ride it? If you do, I would go for it, and make sure the bike shifts well and doesn't have chain-skip issues. However, given that you're quoting distances in miles and the shop is in Belgium, I would imagine that's difficult.

So... from what I can surmise:
- You're looking at a ~20 yr old Ridley of unknown provenance
- The bike is in Belgium, and you're in the US
- The bike costs $350, shipping is likely another $150, not to mention waiting for it to clear customs

At this point, I'd probably pass and look on local craigslist. It may be a perfectly fine bike, but it's probably not unique, and may require work. And do you want to risk your money if that's the case?
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 08-26-22, 03:01 PM
mawn

Yes, you can replace the 105 if needed. I think 9-speed Sora, which is currently on the market, would be the drop-in replacement. However, if you're thinking that the 105 is high-mileage, and too old to last very long, it might be better just to buy a new Sora bike instead (wait for a Decathlon to come in stock). Parts and labor add up quick, and like I mentioned, if that's 9-speed 105, it's coming on close to 20 years, and might have 20k miles/30k km on the derailleurs, cassette, and chainrings.

Will you have a chance to test-ride it? If you do, I would go for it, and make sure the bike shifts well and doesn't have chain-skip issues. However, given that you're quoting distances in miles and the shop is in Belgium, I would imagine that's difficult.

So... from what I can surmise:
- You're looking at a ~20 yr old Ridley of unknown provenance
- The bike is in Belgium, and you're in the US
- The bike costs $350, shipping is likely another $150, not to mention waiting for it to clear customs

At this point, I'd probably pass and look on local craigslist. It may be a perfectly fine bike, but it's probably not unique, and may require work. And do you want to risk your money if that's the case?
I live in Morocco (i'm used to 'US metrics'). The bike is currently in a shop in my city but it's coming from Belgium.. this is something normal in my country.
The only thing that i'm not sure of are the Derailleurs and the Cranks.
Thank you!
Old 08-26-22, 03:09 PM
big john

I mean the Derailleurs.. can i replace the front and back?
i think a 9 speed.. so its possible to add 1 or 2?
Thank you so much!
You can replace the derailleurs but they usually last a long time unless they get damaged. If you want to switch to 10 you will have to change the shifter, at least. You really don't gain a lot. If it's 9 and you want a lower gear for climbing, for example, you can get a different cassette and keep it 9.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 03:15 PM
aliasfox

Weird, I didn't think anybody really used miles anymore, outside the US and a few instances in the UK.

Do you have to buy it before it gets to Morocco, or are you able to test ride it before paying for it?

If you can test ride it, and both the gearing and the fit work, I'd say it's a good deal. If you want 10 speed (Tiagra, most likely), or 11 speed (previous generation 105, Ultegra, DuraAce, or SRAM equivalents), you're looking at a huge bump in price for new shifters, cassette, chain, and rear derailleur, at a minimum. Given the age of the crank, you'll probably need a new crank to prevent skips, as well. Keep it 9 speed for as long as it works well, and upgrade to what's available when it doesn't. If you're thinking of upgrading before then, just find a bike with that kit straightaway.

Best of luck!
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 08-26-22, 04:01 PM
mawn

Weird, I didn't think anybody really used miles anymore, outside the US and a few instances in the UK.

Do you have to buy it before it gets to Morocco, or are you able to test ride it before paying for it?

If you can test ride it, and both the gearing and the fit work, I'd say it's a good deal. If you want 10 speed (Tiagra, most likely), or 11 speed (previous generation 105, Ultegra, DuraAce, or SRAM equivalents), you're looking at a huge bump in price for new shifters, cassette, chain, and rear derailleur, at a minimum. Given the age of the crank, you'll probably need a new crank to prevent skips, as well. Keep it 9 speed for as long as it works well, and upgrade to what's available when it doesn't. If you're thinking of upgrading before then, just find a bike with that kit straightaway.

Best of luck!
i use both 'Metrics' for my work, American influence is everywhere.. i'll talk to him tomorrow and see if i can test ride it.
Thank you!
Old 08-27-22, 01:58 PM
mawn

I bought the bike for $320;

I like it so far. I need to replace the Handlebar Stem immediately for a better fit.
I need to replace also soon: The Saddle.
I'm keeping an eye on The Shifters and Derailleurs.

Thank you for the help!
Old 08-27-22, 03:01 PM
big john

I bought the bike for $320;

I like it so far. I need to replace the Handlebar Stem immediately for a better fit.
I need to replace also soon: The Saddle.
I'm keeping an eye on The Shifters and Derailleurs.

Thank you for the help!
I hope you really enjoy it!
Likes For big john:
Old 08-27-22, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Let us know how it rides when you've got some miles on it, and please come back and share some ride photos!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-27-22, 09:56 PM
aliasfox

Great! Is the current stem too long/short?
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 08-28-22, 02:57 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
The stem doesn't look too long or short.
Being your first road bike it can take some time to get used to the riding position, even if it's ideal.
Likes For znomit:
Old 08-28-22, 03:53 AM
mawn

Great! Is the current stem too long/short?
I think too short.
Originally Posted by znomit
The stem doesn't look too long or short.
Being your first road bike it can take some time to get used to the riding position, even if it's ideal.
Too short for me. But maybe you're right, I'll ride it more and see.
Old 08-28-22, 12:04 PM
aliasfox

Unless you have relatively short legs for your height (judging by seat height), your stem is probably pretty close. Try riding on the tops of the bars vs the hoods, which will give you an idea with regards to reach. If you’re riding on the hoods (as far as your arms can go) for 100-200mi and still feel cramped, then see if you can source a longer stem to try. Until then, I agree with everyone else, and take the bike out a few times and enjoy it.

My personal experience is that if I haven’t ridden over the winter, I often start out the season with my spacers under the stem, making the bar higher. As the season progresses, I move my spacers above the stem, lowering it. Getting your body acclimated is important!
Old 08-28-22, 12:52 PM
mawn

Unless you have relatively short legs for your height (judging by seat height), your stem is probably pretty close. Try riding on the tops of the bars vs the hoods, which will give you an idea with regards to reach. If you’re riding on the hoods (as far as your arms can go) for 100-200mi and still feel cramped, then see if you can source a longer stem to try. Until then, I agree with everyone else, and take the bike out a few times and enjoy it.

My personal experience is that if I haven’t ridden over the winter, I often start out the season with my spacers under the stem, making the bar higher. As the season progresses, I move my spacers above the stem, lowering it. Getting your body acclimated is important!
After riding it today (inside the city for 20 miles), reaching the brakes is the main problem.
But I'll do another week and see if I'll get used to it.
Old 08-29-22, 12:44 PM
aliasfox

After riding it today (inside the city for 20 miles), reaching the brakes is the main problem.
But I'll do another week and see if I'll get used to it.
Do you mean you have to reach your fingers too far to get to the brakes? Or that it's too far to reach the tops of the hoods to brake? If the brake levers themselves are a bit too far, you should be able to do a reach adjustment (youtube has videos). If the hoods are too far of a reach, then your stem might be slightly too long, rather than too short.
Old 08-29-22, 07:39 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Do you mean you have to reach your fingers too far to get to the brakes? Or that it's too far to reach the tops of the hoods to brake? If the brake levers themselves are a bit too far, you should be able to do a reach adjustment (youtube has videos). If the hoods are too far of a reach, then your stem might be slightly too long, rather than too short.
I too was thinking that the solution might be a shorter stem, not a longer one... Anyway, congrats on the bike and enjoy!
Likes For Caliwild: