Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for leather cycling gloves

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 12:48 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts

My Giro LX gloves with Pittard leather last only a year and a half or about 15,000 miles before they become shredded - and this from normal wear. Perhaps their poor longevity is why Giro is no longer making them. The perforations start to tear and then they fall apart.
Any recommendations for good quality leather gloves? The only other quality ones I could find are Brancale but at $180 a pair and no padding - they don't even look the part.
I'll take recommendations for any high quality glove - leather or not.
https://brancale.cc/products/leather-cycling-gloves

Last edited by Biketiger; 09-05-22 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-05-22, 01:07 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I just bought a few pairs of these crochet gloves, but there is also a leather-only set available. I just got them so cannot speak to durability, but they also do not cost $200. They were on sale through Public Bikes, but they’re available other places, too. At first glance, they feel good.

https://www.explorethousand.com/collections/bike-gloves
Old 09-05-22, 01:12 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Planet bike is a fine company to do business with. It provides resources for cycling, it provides a solid guaranty on their products, and it sells and stocks small parts for their gear which are fairly priced. I feel like they've earned my business.

Planet bike also happens to make a great pair of old school leather gloves:

https://www.planetbike.com/taurus-cycling-gloves/
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-05-22, 01:12 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I just wear leather driving gloves. They can be had on eBay for a dime a dozen compared to things that are marketed as eroica ready... Not so sure about long-term durability compared to more expensive products, because I live out in a hot valley and eventually sweat through most of my leather stuff no matter how much it costs. I've had some more expensive pairs and they didn't seem to last any longer than the cheap ones, though, given the amount of sweat soaking into them.

Retro Real Leather Men Fingerless Driving Cycle Gloves Cycling Unlined Chauffeur | eBay

-Gregory
Old 09-05-22, 01:39 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I had success with a pair from Aero Techs Designs (made in the USA if that matters to you), but I gave them away to a rider who was in the middle of a tour and needed gloves, so I can't comment on their long term durability. I do have a pair of shorts from Aero Tech that are still going strong after more than 10 years, so I'd guess the gloves will be durable too.
Old 09-05-22, 03:12 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
some options here
https://www.3mcaverni.com/categorie-...oduct_count=24
Old 09-05-22, 04:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I had success with a pair from Aero Techs Designs (made in the USA if that matters to you), but I gave them away to a rider who was in the middle of a tour and needed gloves, so I can't comment on their long term durability. I do have a pair of shorts from Aero Tech that are still going strong after more than 10 years, so I'd guess the gloves will be durable too.
aerotech has a number of different options https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/padd...ss-gloves.html

I got a pair, and interestingly, the seem to me to be a better fit for vintage levers than for modern levers

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-05-22, 04:32 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Block
Interesing- there's some cool looking stuff there. Anyone every ordered from them? Anyone know what the wool/acrylic jerseys are like?
Old 09-05-22, 06:40 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I had the Planet Bike gloves and liked them. They just didn't last as long as I'd like. I'd buy them again, if needed.

I have been using these for a while now and think they are superior to Planet Bike's glove. Certainly, they have outlasted the Planet Bike product. They cost $15.

Prime Sports - Retro Leather Crochet Cycling Gloves - Classic Tan

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-05-22 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-05-22, 07:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Are there any other options other than crochet or driving gloves?
Old 09-05-22, 07:29 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

I have a pair of the full finger gloves from here:

https://www.cuerogloves.com/product-...loves/cycling/

I haven't used them much, but they're a comfortable fit and well made.
Old 09-05-22, 07:33 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
My personal favorites:

https://www.cuerogloves.com/product-...loves/cycling/

I’ve also been really happy with these:

https://www.explorethousand.com/prod...itt&size=large
Old 09-05-22, 08:12 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I had the Planet Bike gloves and liked them. They just didn't last as long as I'd like. I'd buy them again, if needed.

I'm have been using these right now and think they are superior to Planet Bike's glove. Certainly, they have outlasted the Planet Bike product. They cost $15.

Prime Sports - Retro Leather Crochet Cycling Gloves - Classic Tan

Are these really leather?

I used gloves of this style back in the 80s and I was just thinking today how out of place my modern Bontrager gloves looked holding a cotton tape wrapped set of bars. I know it doesn't matter what they look like, but it matters.

Old 09-05-22, 08:32 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
The ones I have are certainly leather and the description shows them as leather.

One thing I like about them, despite the low price, the leather does not bleed color onto your hands the way some cheap leather gloves do.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-05-22, 08:45 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Here are a couple of suggestions for FULL FINGER gloves that come in pairs, unlike ordinary golf gloves which are traditionally just for the LEFT HAND(for typical "ordinary" right handed golfer.....and vice versa for a left handed golfer...lefty would wear an ordinary golf glove on his/her RIGHT HAND..)

FootJoy RAIN GRIP (pair)
https://www.footjoy.com/men/golf-glo...ir/003RAI.html

FootJoy Winter Sof Grip (pair)
https://www.footjoy.com/men/golf-glo...ir/000WIN.html

There are also some very inexpensive black colored mechanics gloves sold at Harbor Freight stores, that have the brand name 'HARDY' in light silver, almost white on the back of the hands. These are approximately $8 a pair, and available in about six different sizes. The stated sizes on the gloves' tag on these Chinese Harbor Freight 'HARDY' gloves aren't normal, as the ones that I have are tagged as XXL, while I wear a LARGE in golf gloves & ski gloves & other winter gloves.
I wear these cheapo 'HARDY' black colored Harbor Freight mechanics gloves for winter time riding and for late fall & winter time yard work like raking leaves and gathering/hauling firewood indoors, or cutting/ splitting with the axe and stacking the firewood pile outdoors. I throw these in the washing machine & dryer. I actually prefer the feel of them after two trips thru the washing machine & dryer. You have much more dexterity & flexibility and they are softer and not as rigid. They aren't leather, of course.................they are very good, super inexpensive, all-purpose outdoor activity gloves for late fall through very early spring.

These are merely suggestions that might work well, but that depends greatly on how someone prefers the feel & fit and specific type of glove.
You might hate them. Sometimes you just don't know until you try them. None of the gloves mentioned above are leather or expensive, as all of them are very reasonable and it won't break the bank to try them, as if you hate them for cycling use, I am certain that you would find them useful enough for other outdoor chores that they wouldn't be a total waste of money.
Old 09-06-22, 04:47 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
I've had a couple pair of Cuero gloves. Liked them a lot, but they weren't as sturdy as I would have liked considering the cost. That said, they have a sale currently and do offer blems, so I might grab another pair or two.

I do have a small sob story to relate. I took my Griffon to Auburn sans bar tape because I was going to ride Saturday and didn't want to get them dirty before the show Sunday. I had a nice ride, then Sunday morning I taped them up before rolling the bike into the show. I rode at home Monday, but got caught in a downpour. Everything would have been fine except the gloves bled dye all over my nice new bar tape. I went from this

to this

In the future, I will stick with undyed leather gloves.
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 09-06-22, 05:31 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I 've worn weightlifting gloves and mechanics gloves with fingers in the winter and cut out in the summer.
Old 09-06-22, 04:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
My Giro LX gloves with Pittard leather last only a year and a half or about 15,000 miles before they become shredded - and this from normal wear. Perhaps their poor longevity is why Giro is no longer making them. The perforations start to tear and then they fall apart.
Any recommendations for good quality leather gloves? The only other quality ones I could find are Brancale but at $180 a pair and no padding - they don't even look the part.
I'll take recommendations for any high quality glove - leather or not.
https://brancale.cc/products/leather-cycling-gloves
I have a pair of Castelli Pittard gloves that I've had for several years, wore them quite a bit when I got them but they never did have enough padding for me, they are still going strong though.

One thing with all of this is to soak and clean them from time to time to get the salt and sweat out and rehydrate the synthetic materials so they don't disintegrate as these did. Yanking them off and stretching them out after using for awhile can hasten their demise as well.

I use Dawn style dishsoap sparingly, soak, squish, not wring and air dry, YMMV.

I don't ride that much or that hard at all so my gear tends to go a lot of miles.

I wear the thickest padded glove I can find now days, hands still go numb, current riders are these.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...love?v=KXL0000
Old 09-06-22, 06:25 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I have a pair of Castelli Pittard gloves that I've had for several years, wore them quite a bit when I got them but they never did have enough padding for me, they are still going strong though.
I will check them out. Thanks..

Originally Posted by merziac
I wear the thickest padded glove I can find now days, hands still go numb, current riders are these.
I'm the exact opposite. If I didn't care about road rash in a crash, I'd ride bare hands. My favorite gloves were some old Diadoras with kangaroo leather palms and Lycra or some other stretchy fabric for the backs.
Old 09-06-22, 08:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I will check them out. Thanks..

I'm the exact opposite. If I didn't care about road rash in a crash, I'd ride bare hands. My favorite gloves were some old Diadoras with kangaroo leather palms and Lycra or some other stretchy fabric for the backs.
I couldn't find the Pittard Castelli's, not sure if they make them anymore. Seems like all the hi-tech has completely displaced any last gasp real world materials.
Old 09-08-22, 11:26 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
I prefer these.

Bought these cheap, I thought €15, some years ago at Eroica Germania or Eroica Limburg, I'm not sure. Great Itlaian made reproductions with some, not too much, oadding as you see.
I got much more expensive modern Rapha leather gloves without padding but I really prefer these ones.
Old 09-08-22, 01:25 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Many years and miles have been shared with these guys...

Same goes for the SPD shoes...
Old 09-08-22, 01:44 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Many years and miles have been shared with these guys...
Still in use?
Old 09-08-22, 02:29 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
I prefer these

Bought these cheap, I thought €15, some years ago at Eroica Germania or Eroica Limburg, I'm not sure. Great Itlaian made reproductions with some, not too much, oadding as you see.
I got much more expensive modern Rapha leather gloves without padding but I really prefer these ones.
and currently retail for for €20 using the link I gave above
Old 09-09-22, 12:46 AM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by Big Block
and currently retail for for €20 using the link I gave above
Ah, sorry I missed your link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.