Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake shoes/pad upgrade

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brake shoes/pad upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 06:52 PM
CanCruiser

Bikes: Univega Alpina 570- Sekine SHB 271

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Brake shoes/pad upgrade

Hi All,
My 10-spd Sekine has center pull brake calipers (on steel rims), similar to these

The calipers take the standard old-style pads like these. And they are in dire need of replacement. Each pad measure approx 50mm long

I'm considering new modern pads, preferably the cartridge style, and found those ones and wondering if anyone with similar caliper successfully installed this kind of shoes. Any issues you foresee??
Thanks..

Last edited by CanCruiser; 09-12-22 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 07:58 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts

I like Kool-Stop for my vintage bikes...

Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-12-22, 08:04 PM
CanCruiser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks branko..
Are you referring to those? (note, I'm in Canada)

https://www.amazon.ca/Kool-Stop-Bicy...dp/B001SYM690/
Likes For CanCruiser:
Old 09-12-22, 08:34 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
My advice -

1. Replace the steel rims with aluminum rims. Braking performance will be dramatically better and that includes during the rain, especially in the rain/wet.

2. Get out your belt sander and taper the pad from the rear to the front (front touches rim first). This will also cut thru the hardened rubber material, exposing fresh rubber with dramatically better performance.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-12-22, 08:50 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
The Kool-Stops are a big improvement, especially for steel wheels. Yes, the ones in the ad are the ones everybody here likes.

That said, if you are open to modifications, getting a pair of used aluminum wheels from the local co-op will also make the bike remarkably lighter and more responsive. Probably not as shiny, though.
Likes For albrt:
Old 09-13-22, 06:40 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I have a set of these waiting in the wings.
https://www.porkchopbmx.com/scott-ma...d-vintage.html
Old 09-13-22, 07:35 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by CanCruiser
Thanks branko..
Are you referring to those? (note, I'm in Canada)

https://www.amazon.ca/Kool-Stop-Bicy...dp/B001SYM690/
Yes, that's it
Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-13-22, 07:37 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
My advice -

1. Replace the steel rims with aluminum rims. Braking performance will be dramatically better and that includes during the rain, especially in the rain/wet.

2. Get out your belt sander and taper the pad from the rear to the front (front touches rim first). This will also cut thru the hardened rubber material, exposing fresh rubber with dramatically better performance.
I've done the same with a piece of sandpaper flat on the workbench and simply working the pad back and forth a few times. Belt sander will do it for sure but can also ruin them if not careful
Old 09-13-22, 11:32 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I've done the same with a piece of sandpaper flat on the workbench and simply working the pad back and forth a few times. Belt sander will do it for sure but can also ruin them if not careful
Sure, sand paper works, too. I've done it that way, too. Anything that removes the old, hard rubber exposing fresh material. The tapering prevents squeal. It makes a HUGE difference.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-13-22, 11:37 AM
CanCruiser

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks fellas for all the replies. I'd like to stick with the steel rims for now, but I will place a couple of Kool Stop pad sets on order.They seem to be the most recommended from your replies. Made in USA too.. Yeah..

As for adjusting the pads for toe-in, I found this video quite helpful. At 8:48, the presenter tilted the caliper pad holder a bit to introduce toe-in during braking. This way the front end of the pad will contact the rim first before the back end, even if the pad is flat with use.

Last edited by CanCruiser; 09-13-22 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-13-22, 12:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Allow me to play contrarian for a moment.

Usually if the pads are old and hardened, sanding down to a fresh surface will only buy a little bit of time before the surface re-glazes. Many times, I've discovered fresh shards of rim material in pads that were recently re-surfaced.

Steel rims are perfectly fine (and look great) if the braking surfaces aren't uneven from dings or from a poor rim joint weld.
Fine in dry-weather riding that is.
Be cautious as well of riding across wet grass, which might severely reduce braking effectiveness for some time in cool and/or humid weather.

Surfacing brake pads to effect a "toe-in" condition needs to take into account that the caliper often isn't perfectly perpendicular to the wheel, as many bikes have either forks that have been previously tweaked or that weren't perfectly straight at the caliper mounting hole to begin with.
Sometimes all that is needed to eliminate squeal is to get both pads perfectly flat with the rim, since one pad may be very slightly toe-out while the other pad is very slightly toe in!

So I always start by using an accelerated break-in process that machines both pads flat to the rim as installed. This also improves the feel at the lever, giving a more-solid point of contact in the middle of the lever's travel (at the end of the free travel, as the pads first contact the rim).
If squealing occurs after breaking-in the pads, usually it's a matter of too high a friction between the particular pad and rim, so I may choose a different pad material in lieu of applying any temporary toe-in to the pad/rim interface. I say temporary, because toe-in always wears away over time.

Visualize forcing the wheel forward with the belt-sandpaper moving past the brake pad with the brake lightly applied, which re-surfaces the pad and levels the pad surface to the rim at the same time. Very fast pad "alignment" for traditional pads having no swivel washers!

Steel rims often don't work with pad materials intended for alloy rims, so don't be surprised if the brakes are grabby or noisy or if the pad material melts onto the rim surface!

Older DiaCompe and Suntour calipers used pads which seem to never harden (and which are usually friendly to chromed steel rims)! I hoard these precious parts!!!
Weinmann, Universal and Shimano caliper pads, NOT SO MUCH.

Last edited by dddd; 09-14-22 at 07:17 PM. Reason: corrections
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-13-22, 12:17 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 336 Posts
I used to get regular brake squeal on my Weinmann 500 sidepulls with old Weinmann pads (I'd had the bike 3 months).

Then I got some Kool Stop Salmon Weinmann-X pads (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-bl...pound-2-pairs/)
I fitted the new pads and then bent the brake calipers to set the toe in.
That's the 'traditional' way and can break the arms if you're not careful (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-brakes.html).

They've been completely silent since then

(Edit) Forgot to mention: I marked the front edge of the pad holder with a drill so whenever I take the pads off they go back on the same way round.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 09-13-22 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Forgot
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 09-13-22, 01:06 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
...Surfacing brake pads to effect a "toe-in" condition needs to take into account that the caliper often isn't perfectly perpendicular to the wheel, as many bikes have either forks that have been previously tweaked or that weren't perfectly straight at the caliper mounting hole to begin with.
Sometimes all that is needed to eliminate squeal is to get both pads perfectly flat with the rim, since one pad may be very slightly toe-out while the other pad is very slightly toe out!

So I always start by using an accelerated break-in process that machines both pads flat to the rim as installed. This also improves the feel at the lever, giving a more-solid point of contact in the middle of the lever's travel (at the end of the free travel, as the pads first contact the rim).
Replying to my own earlier post, forgot to include the picture of my accelerated break-in process, forcing the wheel and sandpaper forward (with brake applied) to machine the pad flat to the rim:

Likes For dddd:
Old 09-13-22, 04:21 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
KoolStop pads. Accept no substitute.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-14-22, 07:05 AM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Raleigh Twenty - original steel rims with Kool Stop pads (Kinda tough inserting them into the original Weinmann pad holders).

Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 09-14-22, 07:44 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
What is that triangular bit of metal above the caliper pivot bolt? A way to center the brake?
Old 09-14-22, 03:18 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
What is that triangular bit of metal above the caliper pivot bolt? A way to center the brake?
Great Question!
The Raleigh Twenty (R-20) is / was very popular back in the day and visible in this picture, against the lower steering bearing, is the chrome-plated stop that prevents the forks being reversed.