Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Burned Out

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Burned Out

Old 09-10-22, 05:39 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Burned Out

Yesterday, I had a vacation day to burn but I was so burned out from work, life etc., I didn't feel like doing a thing. (Anyone been there?) So I figured to had to do something as it was a nice day. So I rode to little country story on the edge of town and sat on the bench. (About 5 or so miles away.) I sat there eating my chips and drinking a soda and watch the world go by. It was good. I should've cleaned the house, put big miles down but I didn't care. It felt good to just sit and relax for once. Was I wrong to waste so much time? Has anyone done this sort of thing?
Old 09-10-22, 06:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Yesterday, I had a vacation day to burn but I was so burned out from work, life etc., I didn't feel like doing a thing. (Anyone been there?) So I figured to had to do something as it was a nice day. So I rode to little country story on the edge of town and sat on the bench. (About 5 or so miles away.) I sat there eating my chips and drinking a soda and watch the world go by. It was good. I should've cleaned the house, put big miles down but I didn't care. It felt good to just sit and relax for once. Was I wrong to waste so much time? Has anyone done this sort of thing?
Maybe it was a wake-up call to rethink about the use and value of your time spent on putting down big miles.

Why do you think you should've "put big miles down" instead of "wasting time" enjoying yourself as you did?
Old 09-10-22, 06:39 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I rarely see people leisurely riding a bike. Maybe it because biking has become a competition rather than a form of transportation for those that have a bike. I enjoy watching the children ride up and down the driveway or on a trail. They are just riding.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 09-10-22, 07:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
When the brain tells us to take a break, we should.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 09-10-22, 07:59 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 166 Posts
Back when I was racing in undergrad, myself and other college team members would regularly commute on bikes and also do big training rides on the weekends. We'd often remark on many other commuters who are looking like they are racing with the comment "commuter olympics!"
Slowing down in life is a good thing, when it is for the purpose of self-care. If you're a person who regularly commutes on a bike, you don't need to "put down big miles" for fitness, just get on the bike and enjoy the ride. Even if you're training to race, you still need soft-pedaling days and you still need days with no pedaling.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 09-10-22, 08:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Any day that includes any bike activity, from maintenance to a ride of any length is not a wasted day.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-10-22, 08:24 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I think your basic problem is thinking that there is such a thing as "wasting" time. Life is for experience and any experience is valid. In the proper context sitting and staring at the wall is a valid experience. The trick is balance. . . . not to let one single experience happen more than necessary to do the "experience" job.

It sounds like in the context of your life and needs you did exactly the right thing.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 09-10-22, 08:32 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I am 57 and retired. I generally try and do 30 miles a day 5 or 6 days a week BUT I am never in any hurry. If I see something interesting I'll stop and admire it. When I see a comfy spot to stop and take a break, I do it..

For me cycling is not only about fitness but equally about enjoying the ride. Enjoying the ride includes stopping and taking breaks to enjoy the surroundings whenever I want..

I see nothing wrong with you going 5 miles and stoping to relax and enjoy your surrounding. Clearing the mind and relaxing is a part of life that should be done often. The fact you cycled there is better than driving you car there to do the same..

Relax, enjoy cycling and soak in all the surroundings that come with it..

My .02
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-10-22, 12:13 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Your right. Biking isn't about climbing that next big hill or putting in big miles. Sometime, the small things in life or the most important.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 09-11-22, 10:29 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Have never felt "recharging the batteries" to be a waste of time, myself.

Everybody recovers and "recharges" differently, at different times and in different ways. For me, it's almost always helped by going simplistic out in nature ... walks, sitting in a meadow watching the world go by, dangling my feet in a stream, an easy bike ride to see what there is to see, etc. Nothing else to do but one thing: being present.

People would probably be healthier and better-grounded if each took the occasional time to "smell the roses." It can work wonders.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-11-22, 11:25 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Have never felt "recharging the batteries" to be a waste of time, myself.
Everybody recovers and "recharges" differently, at different times and in different ways. For me, it's almost always helped by going simplistic out in nature ... walks, sitting in a meadow watching the world go by, dangling my feet in a stream, an easy bike ride to see what there is to see, etc. Nothing else to do but one thing: being present.
People would probably be healthier and better-grounded if each took the occasional time to "smell the roses." It can work wonders.
This is why I can't stand setting aside time for vacations. They can get filled to the gills with itineraries and a schedule at least as busy as the regular workday.
If I can't find a few moments to recharge and actually be in the moment, at peace, with myself, wherever I am, I'm probably not going to be able to find that calm on a vacation holiday. More likely I'd sleep away a few days out of pure exhaustion, which I've done plenty of in the past.
This is why self-care at our own pace, set by our bodies and recognized our minds, is key.
Old 09-11-22, 12:38 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Yes you were wrong. You should have been listening to Waterloo Sunset while you ate your chips.

Last edited by tyrion; 09-11-22 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-12-22, 06:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Yes you were wrong. You should have been listening to Waterloo Sunset while you ate your chips.
I loved the movie, "Juliet, Naked" (about an obsessive music fan), which ended with this surprise rendition of Waterloo Sunset.

Old 09-12-22, 07:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
When my wife and I go on vacation, we never do more than one thing in a day. For instance, we might have a leisurely breakfast and then spend a couple hours at the Musee d'Orsay and then sit a few hours at a cafe before going back to the hotel for a nap. A walk before dinner. If we are feeling really energetic, maybe a late movie. We never, ever have a schedule on vacation.

I do plan my rides or at least pencil them in. If I have planned a big ride and then if I do not feel like doing that ride, something is very, very wrong. Increasing training load should be so gradual as to be imperceptible. When I used to work, stresses beyond riding often got to me. Stress from all sources is cumulative. In which case, you did the right thing, assuming you care about fitness. I figure it is better to err on the recovery side
Old 09-12-22, 07:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I suspect your 10 miles plus snack ride may be more valuable for your long, healthy, cycling-enjoying life than any "big mile" day could have been.
Old 09-13-22, 11:24 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I do this at least once a week. I have several places I like to go and just relax. I unplug, read a book, people watch, but most of the time sit and watch nature. Mental health is just as important if not more important than physical health.

What is wasting time?
Wasting time is when you are on the work clock and you are supposed to be doing something work related but you aren’t.

Sittiing at a convince store watching the day go by isn’t a waste of time, it’s a mental recharge. Or better analogy would be mental “recovery” day. Just like in physical training we need to incorporate recovery days so as to not over work our muscles and give our body time to rejuvenate, our mental well being also needs a day of rejuvenation.

I suffer from several physical limitations that have taken their toll on me both physically and mentally. I started cycling as a way to rehabilitate my physical body. I found the mental benefits of riding to be more profound than I could have possibly imagined.
Old 09-14-22, 12:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Yesterday, I had a vacation day to burn
better than warming the couch!