Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One thing I like about Specialized tires I have owned…

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-17-22, 01:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts

…is minimal graphics on their road tires. Only speaking for 3 sets I have owned.

for a minimally graphic road bike.

Hoping these are as nice as others used - with longer life. Bought a 3rd tire for future rear replacement. Initial impression is 26mm may be too cushy for a race style, quality framed bike over smooth pavement. Maybe shoulda ordered 24s, and saved a few more $$$. Next time for another bike. YMMV

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-17-22 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-17-22, 01:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I agree with the minimal graphics thing.

However my newest bike came with Specialized Turbo Cottons... possibly it was only Turbo Pro's and I've just forgotten. And they had hardly any puncture resistance. I got two or three rear flats on them in less than 300 miles. So they had to go.

Now I'm back to using GP5000's that favored on my previous bike and putting up with the overly large graphics. But so far, I've not had a puncture or other flat with them other than the one rear tire I wore to the threads and I replaced it after it's first puncture at over 4000 miles.

If you have better luck with the Turbo Cotton's then I might give Specialized another try for tires.
Old 09-17-22, 02:03 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I agree with the minimal graphics thing.... And they had hardly any puncture resistance. I got two or three rear flats on them in less than 300 miles.
My Specialized Diverge came with Specialized sawtooth tires. My experience was the same on both counts. I replaced those Specialized tires with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires within a few months. (I know some forum members don't like those Schwalbes, but I got them because I wanted the flat resistance.) Flats with the Schwalbes were few and far between. But every flat I've had except one has been on the rear tire, so I am now running the Marathon Plus on the rear and the Specialized tires that came with the bike on the front.
Old 09-17-22, 02:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I can agree with Iride01 and Random11 about longevity. But that was acknowledged in post 1.

I may have to share the road with motor traffic in my area, but I get almost zero glass debris. Perhaps 'no shoulders' has advantages in tire life. No goathead type plants on my packed gravel travels (with different tires). Had zero flats with two sets of Specialized race tubulars, just wore down the rubber. Thrilling tires on a thrilling ride - but short lived.
Old 09-17-22, 04:05 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I've always been happy with Specialized Tires..

As soon as I got my new Bike, a 2023 Trek FX Sport 6, I ditched the tires that came on it and replaced them with Specialized Pathfinder Pro tires..

I mainly ride in the City / tarmac and have no flats so far several hundred miles in.. I do run Tubolito X Gravel TPU tubes that they claim are flat proof so perhaps those are helping the tires remain flat free..

I also dig the minimal graphics on the tires.

Last edited by raqball; 09-17-22 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-18-22, 06:13 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts
I really like my Specialized Turbo Cottons, partly for the same reason, and I don't find their 28mm ones too squishy, at 80/85 psi. Picked a goathead out from one yesterday, too, and didn't have to fix the leak because I use sealant, and find it pretty effective.

1976 Fredo Speciale at the Rio Grande

As for low-key, tasteful and understated graphics, I love how Pearl Izumi made these logos digitally pre-faded:

Digitally "stone-washed" logos
Old 09-18-22, 07:00 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 587 Posts
Been using Spec. Roubaix Pros (32s) for quite a few years now. No problems at all, and good longevity/flat resistance/ride quality: roads and non-technical dirt trails. I'll stay with them for as long as they are available.

And yes, they look nice on the bike.
Old 09-18-22, 08:19 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I really like my Specialized Turbo Cottons, partly for the same reason, and I don't find their 28mm ones too squishy, at 80/85 psi. Picked a goathead out from one yesterday, too, and didn't have to fix the leak because I use sealant, and find it pretty effective.

1976 Fredo Speciale at the Rio Grande

As for low-key, tasteful and understated graphics, I love how Pearl Izumi made these logos digitally pre-faded:

Digitally "stone-washed" logos
Is that the bosque in Albuquerque?
Old 09-18-22, 09:30 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

However my newest bike came with Specialized Turbo Cottons... possibly it was only Turbo Pro's and I've just forgotten. And they had hardly any puncture resistance. I got two or three rear flats on them in less than 300 miles. So they had to go.

Now I'm back to using GP5000's...

somewhat similar experience on the cottons, although the punctures came in clusters, maddeningly close together, from a mix of tiny pieces of glass and possibly a tiny bit of wire. the worst part was even a few rotations post-flat to get to a safe stop caused delamination too, making them very short lived.

i don’t find the graphics on the new 5000s at all obtrusive. very subtle (more subtle in real life than in this photo)

Old 09-18-22, 11:48 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
Is that the bosque in Albuquerque?
No, thats about 60 miles north, on NM 502, between Pojoaque and Los Alamos. It was flowing full strength this summer while the bosque down in ABQ dried up, because they diverted so much to Texas.