Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike Rider Killed by a DOG.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-29-22, 01:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts

Houston, Texas crime: Man's body found in Channelview area | khou.com

Old 08-29-22, 03:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
gruesome
Old 08-29-22, 10:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
They added that it is not clear how many dogs may have been involved, but that the area is known for packs of stray dogs.
neighbors think they know where they came from. They said there have been close calls stemming from one house.
“My wife was checking the mail one day and one of the pit bulls came running at her. The owner chased it down, stopped it before they got to my wife, which was a good thing.”
Dog attacks leave a lot of DNA behind. They should be able to start with identifying the dog breed, then identifying the individual dogs.

The dogs aren't "strays" if they are owned by people. And, running loose in packs is no excuse.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-29-22, 03:10 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I definitely need to get some pepper spray for dogs. I had a little nipper just the other day chase me, kept moving from one side of my bike to the other behind me, and my greatest fear was that he'd get under my tires and cause a crash. Probably wouldn't have sprayed him but I've been on some rides with larger dogs coming out which didn't look too friendly.
Old 08-31-22, 02:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I definitely need to get some pepper spray for dogs. I had a little nipper just the other day chase me, kept moving from one side of my bike to the other behind me, and my greatest fear was that he'd get under my tires and cause a crash. Probably wouldn't have sprayed him but I've been on some rides with larger dogs coming out which didn't look too friendly.
I had a little nipper chase me for several blocks a few years ago. It didn't get close enough to lunge at me. But my fear was more that it would get itself flattened by a car while chasing me.

South of Portland, there was one large dog that kept coming at me despite my yelling. The next time I was in the area I didn't see it. But there was enough vehicle traffic on the road that chasing bikes wouldn't be a safe for the dogs. I would have sprayed it if I had spray with me. But, dogs that are dangerous are extremely rare, and I wouldn't want to be fumbling for a spray bottle when I could be concentrating on riding.
Old 09-01-22, 05:57 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
House cats don't do this.
Old 09-01-22, 07:33 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I wonder if there is a correlation between the rise of loose pack dog attacks and economic uncertainties. Animal shelters are being overwhelmed by people returning their pets they adopted during the start of the pandemic. Not a stretch to think that some owners are just abandoning dogs to their fate on the side of the road. I seem to remember more reports of dog attacks after the 2008 meltdown too.

There was also a mail carrier who was killed recently in rural FL by a pack of dogs.
Old 09-16-22, 11:24 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had a little nipper chase me for several blocks a few years ago. It didn't get close enough to lunge at me. But my fear was more that it would get itself flattened by a car while chasing me.
I used to ride on a busy 2-lane highway in the country near my mom's house. There were several dogs I could count on to chase me. I purposely "baited" them into traffic whenever I could.
Old 09-16-22, 02:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

South of Portland, there was one large dog that kept coming at me despite my yelling. The next time I was in the area I didn't see it. But there was enough vehicle traffic on the road that chasing bikes wouldn't be a safe for the dogs. I would have sprayed it if I had spray with me. But, dogs that are dangerous are extremely rare, and I wouldn't want to be fumbling for a spray bottle when I could be concentrating on riding.

I actually chased a little yapper back to his home a few weeks ago--the damn thing was running all over the street barking at pretty much everything that passed, and it was just a matter of time before it would've ended up under someone's wheel. I talked to the owner, I don't think he had a clue what his little dust mop with legs was getting up to.
Old 09-16-22, 03:22 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I wonder if there is a correlation between the rise of loose pack dog attacks and economic uncertainties. Animal shelters are being overwhelmed by people returning their pets they adopted during the start of the pandemic. Not a stretch to think that some owners are just abandoning dogs to their fate on the side of the road. I seem to remember more reports of dog attacks after the 2008 meltdown too.

There was also a mail carrier who was killed recently in rural FL by a pack of dogs.
I wonder if it has a correlation that this happened in one of those kind of areas with not enough laws in place to prevent this behavior..........
Old 09-18-22, 05:00 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
This article is ********. Probably trying to cover up a murder.
Old 09-18-22, 03:20 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
Years ago (in the 90's) I had to ride from Virginia Beach, Va to a place in Chesapeake Va., which required me to ride thru back-country roads in horse country. These roads were not lit...totally dark in the mornings (it was a 20-mile commute one-way, so I had to leave early).

I saw some weird stuff on those roads, granted some of it may have been my imagination. Once I rode up on a possum, thinking it was dead, I got right up on it and all of a sudden the thing jumped up and hissed at me...I almost lost my bodily functions. I've always wondered why it was playing dead, when I was the only one around and it would have seen me coming, their first instinct is to run off...

There was this one section, near a house all by itself, set a couple hundred feet off the road. Every so often a huge dog would start barking at me and chasing me and all I had was a cheap headlight, which could barely illuminate the road 5-feet ahead of my front wheel. On a few occasions I could feel the dog literally breathing on the back of my leg as it was going for my foot. I don't know what kind of dog that was, but I always pictured a huge wolf.

I never saw/heard it as I would come home in the light of the evenings. I use to dread riding down that section...

Old 09-19-22, 08:56 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't know what kind of dog that was, but I always pictured a huge wolf.

I never saw/heard it as I would come home in the light of the evenings. I use to dread riding down that section....
A friend trailing you in a pickup truck could have solved that.

I was cycling a farm road in rural Mississippi near Natchez State Park. On a steep uphill a big dog shot out from a house that was set back from the road so I saw him coming a long way. He/she crouched at the side of the road waiting for me briefly. Just then a pickup truck came up behind me, noticed what was happening, and tried to run over the dog which sent the mutt scurrying back home. I imagine that motorist was also a local cyclist.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-19-22, 09:53 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I wonder if it has a correlation that this happened in one of those kind of areas with not enough laws in place to prevent this behavior..........
... this happened in a "bad" area of Harris County with little LEO or animal control presence so anyone on a bicycle in this area had better be ready for packs of dogs cats or thugs
Old 09-19-22, 10:21 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
I know a cyclist who became so fed up with being chased by the same dog over and over that he tossed the dog some rat poison laced hamburger on one ride. Personally I don’t have a problem with this.
Old 09-19-22, 10:44 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
water balloon full of latex paint also effective, less lethal.