Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour versus Campy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour versus Campy

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 05:31 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by El Chaba
One thing that can’t be ignored in this discussion is technique. If the rider just moves the shift lever in one direction or the other to change gears and stops moving the lever when the shift is complete, rear derailleurs like the SunTour do a better job as they complete the shift earlier in the movement. Savvy riders with derailleurs like a Camp Nuovo or Super Record learned that if you made a quick motion with the lever to overshift a bit and pull back that the derailleur would make a very clean and fast shift. You learn very quickly how much motion is needed….It is similar to cracking a whip but less exaggerated. In racing it was pretty important to master the skill. Of course some people just couldn’t get the technique down and for them there was SunTour and Shimano…..
Well in the spirit of keeping this fun rollin' along.....

So you're saying that a rider that figured out how to compensate for an imprecise, inadequate shifting system was superior to a rider who shifted a precise, fully adequate one?
Old 09-21-22, 06:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Shimano's R&R department was a LOT bigger that Suntour's was.

Cheers
So? That's one of the reasons its products were superior!
Old 09-21-22, 06:59 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
C'mon guys, it isn't about size or quantity! It is about knowledge, skills and ability, with adequate funding! Significant innovation is often found with an individual. Rarely are committees become innovative. Teams, of any size can produce innovative ideas but they too are rare. IMHO innovation often is coupled with system thinking skills.
Old 09-21-22, 07:11 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Rest and Relaxation department?

You know, it is possible to enjoy all of it.

And if indexed shifting really is a benchmark of technological success, well, that was achieved decades before Shimano.
Sturmey-Archer for the win.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-21-22, 07:15 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well in the spirit of keeping this fun rollin' along.....

So you're saying that a rider that figured out how to compensate for an imprecise, inadequate shifting system was superior to a rider who shifted a precise, fully adequate one?
I don't think he is saying one rider was "superior" to another simply because they were more comfortable with Campy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
One thing that can’t be ignored in this discussion is technique. If the rider just moves the shift lever in one direction or the other to change gears and stops moving the lever when the shift is complete, rear derailleurs like the SunTour do a better job as they complete the shift earlier in the movement. Savvy riders with derailleurs like a Camp Nuovo or Super Record learned that if you made a quick motion with the lever to overshift a bit and pull back that the derailleur would make a very clean and fast shift. You learn very quickly how much motion is needed….It is similar to cracking a whip but less exaggerated. In racing it was pretty important to master the skill. Of course some people just couldn’t get the technique down and for them there was SunTour and Shimano…..
Old 09-21-22, 07:41 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Is you rear derailleur the triple pulley one? I like those.

Cheers
I have one that will go into service soon.
Old 09-21-22, 08:01 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by branko_76
I don't think he is saying one rider was "superior" to another simply because they were more comfortable with Campy...
So savvy?? I mean it's pretty much the same thing.

Old 09-21-22, 09:04 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
For professionals it’s all about winning. Winning is about training and putting in ungodly amounts of miles. If you have not put in the miles you will not be at the finish. No amount of fast shifting makes up for that. With Campy, athletes had the confidence to go mile after mile in sun, rain, dirt and muck.

For the rest of us on our local club ride, Suntour works just fine and dandy.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 09-21-22, 08:51 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

So savvy?? I mean it's pretty much the same thing.

if you meant it, why didn't you say it?
Old 09-22-22, 04:22 AM
jamesdak 

if you meant it, why didn't you say it?
Old 09-22-22, 04:25 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
For professionals it’s all about winning. Winning is about training and putting in ungodly amounts of miles. If you have not put in the miles you will not be at the finish. No amount of fast shifting makes up for that. With Campy, athletes had the confidence to go mile after mile in sun, rain, dirt and muck.

For the rest of us on our local club ride, Suntour works just fine and dandy.
Ah, so maybe the answer is here. Racers make up a minuscule amount of all the bike riders. So Suntour IS best overall.
Old 09-22-22, 06:09 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
One difference I seem to remember from my days working as a bike mechanic in the '70s was that all the Campy rear derailleurs used solid bushing pins for the four pivot points whereas Suntour used folded-over sheet steel for most of the models, with the result that the Suntour derailleurs got sloppy over time.

The top-of-the-line Suntour derailleurs probably had solid pivot pins, though, since they were such exact copies of the Campy parts, at least for a while in the early days, many of the Suntour and Campy small parts were interchangeable.
Old 09-22-22, 06:23 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
One difference I seem to remember from my days working as a bike mechanic in the '70s was that all the Campy rear derailleurs used solid bushing pins for the four pivot points whereas Suntour used folded-over sheet steel for most of the models, with the result that the Suntour derailleurs got sloppy over time.

The top-of-the-line Suntour derailleurs probably had solid pivot pins, though, since they were such exact copies of the Campy parts, at least for a while in the early days, many of the Suntour and Campy small parts were interchangeable.
Oh, that's a good little tibit about the parts being interchangeable!

Ironically from my small experience I've seen the opposite. The Victory RD on my 1985ish Colnago Super was a mess when I got it with the most play I've ever seen in any jockey wheels. Where as all the Suntour kits (at least a dozen VX, Sprint Cyclone, Superbe) have all been problem free.

Now in the spirit of putting all my kidding aside, the Victory setup worked like total crap when I got it. But once I tore it down completely, serviced it all, and then rebuilt and reinstalled it the drivetrain worked quite well. For the RD though, it was now running new aftermarket jockey wheels, modern cable and housing, a new chain, and shifting over a modern 8 speed cassette. In this configuration it was precise and accurate with no need to overshift and then adjust back. Still lacked the sexy feel of my Superbe stuff but perfectly fine for use in my opinion. I would expect the higher end stuff to be better and more ALMOST the equal to Superbe. LOL, sorry Campy guys...... I just can't help myself.
Old 09-22-22, 07:18 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Ah, so maybe the answer is here. Racers make up a minuscule amount of all the bike riders. So Suntour IS best overall.
Great point.
I can agree with that!
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 09-22-22, 08:35 AM
branko_76 

so savvy??

Old 09-22-22, 08:40 AM
jamesdak 

so savvy??

So if you're savvy doesn't that make you a superior racer, so same thing?

I mean IDK, which means I must not be savvy or superior. LOL!!!
Old 09-22-22, 06:32 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Dad wasn't wrong. Suntour Cyclone and Superbe friction shifting is a miracle of the universe - but then that's also true for just about any friction system using slant parallelogram derailleurs.

Campagnolo Nuovo/Super Record friction shift quality is heavy, clunky and prone to requiring large amounts of over-shifting and trimming. The rear mech uses a simple parallelogram design, with robust pivots, so the accuracy will never be as good, even with corncob freewheels.

Doesn't matter. NR/SR rear mechs will keep working a thousand years from now.
Likes For kunsunoke:
Old 09-22-22, 11:09 PM
branko_76 

So if you're savvy doesn't that make you a superior racer, so same thing?

I mean IDK, which means I must not be savvy or superior. LOL!!!
oh, this could go on and on and on.....
Old 09-22-22, 11:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
When I read some of this stuff, I have to wonder if a lot of Campy detractors have ever shifted a properly-adjusted NR or SR derailleur across a straight block - or even one with a one/two tooth jump between cogs. Because I never have any of the shifting issues called out in this thread and others like it. A user asking a racing derailleur to perform outside its range doesn't make it a bad product, it just means the end user is clueless about its intended use and the restrictions upon it due to that use.

Sloppy shifting? Far from it. Mine are, to a derailleur, precise and solid. I don't cross-chain, I regularly re-tension the cable, re-check the upper and lower limit settings, and keep the pivots lubricated. Not just blowing smoke or blindly following the blind, either; as recently as July of 2020 I had a Suntour-equipped bike and was able to make some direct comparisons. Guess what? Based on performance (both shifting and braking), I went back to Campy. It was a beautiful bike, too, with black/silver anodized derailleurs and near-mint Superbe brakeset, but beauty isn't everything - because it's all about the performance for me. As a result, I went from this:

Back to this. Note the seatpost; a Nitto 65. Why not a Campy NR/SR? Because this is longer (more practical for fit), and the serrated cradles don't slip like those on a couple SR posts I've used:

Sold the parts and chalked up the experience to "interesting, but in the end, not an improvement". YMMV - but I do admit to wondering how much of this "Campy shifts like crap compared to Suntour" is based upon anecdotal rather than empirical data.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-23-22, 05:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Not in my experience. I'm strictly talking about Campy NR RDs. Give me any other RD please. In fact, if Simplex hadn't made the horrible decision with Delrin, they might still be around. At least their stuff worked........until it broke. The French high end stuff was/is as good as anything else out there.
Old 09-23-22, 05:23 AM
seypat

On a side note, I've never understood the obsession with having a matching group on a bike. Most of the actual racing bikes I have bought have had a Franken bike component mix. The last one had:
Cinelli stem/bars
Suntour derailleurs
Campy hubs/Regina freewheel/Mavic tubulars
Simplex Retrofriction DT shifters
Sugino crank

If it's for dough, instead of for show, the performance, not the brand is really what matters.

Last edited by seypat; 09-23-22 at 06:19 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-23-22, 06:15 AM
jamesdak 

oh, this could go on and on and on.....

Hey I'm doing my part to keep 'er goin'. This kind of silly threads are fun because sprinkled in all the fannism (is this a word?) are a few gems of truth.
Old 09-23-22, 06:18 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by seypat
On a side note, I've never understood the obsession with having a matching group on a bike. Most of the actual racing bikes I have bought have had a Franken bike component mix. The last one had:
Cinelli stem/bars
Suntour derailleurs
Campy hubs/Regina freewheel/Mavic tubulars
Simplex Retrofriction DT shifters
Sugino crank

If it's for dough, instead of for show, the performance not the brand is really what matters.
Good gawd man, riding a combination like that is just asking for the bike to explode under you, like riding carbon fiber!!!

Old 09-23-22, 06:28 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
When I read some of this stuff, I have to wonder if a lot of Campy detractors have ever shifted a properly-adjusted NR or SR derailleur across a straight block - or even one with a one/two tooth jump between cogs. Because I never have any of the shifting issues called out in this thread and others like it. A user asking a racing derailleur to perform outside its range doesn't make it a bad product, it just means the end user is clueless about its intended use and the restrictions upon it due to that use.

Sloppy shifting? Far from it. Mine are, to a derailleur, precise and solid. I don't cross-chain, I regularly re-tension the cable, re-check the upper and lower limit settings, and keep the pivots lubricated. Not just blowing smoke or blindly following the blind, either; as recently as July of 2020 I had a Suntour-equipped bike and was able to make some direct comparisons. Guess what? Based on performance (both shifting and braking), I went back to Campy. It was a beautiful bike, too, with black/silver anodized derailleurs and near-mint Superbe brakeset, but beauty isn't everything - because it's all about the performance for me.

Sold the parts and chalked up the experience to "interesting, but in the end, not an improvement". YMMV - but I do admit to wondering how much of this "Campy shifts like crap compared to Suntour" is based upon anecdotal rather than empirical data.

DD
Mmmmm, hmmmm...... next thing you'll be telling us is that Delta brakes work.

But seriously, I have to admit I've never ridden the high end Campagnolo stuff from the same period as when Suntour was the best. I really should find something equipped with it and give it a try. If it truly does feel better to use than my beloved Superbe stuff that will make for one orgasmic ride. Dang it, I don't need another bike, but now I'm curious.....
Old 09-23-22, 06:34 AM
seypat

I think there's a lot of BS, brand snobbery, etc out there in the C & V world. For instance, most of my bikes have friction bar end shifters. I've got them in Simplex, Campy, Suntour and Shimano. The overwhelming favorite in the C & V community is Suntour. I wonder how many of these Suntour bar end fan boys despise Campy RD shifting? They both have the same type of feel. The Campy RDs are described as "heavy, clunky and slow," but the Suntour bar ends are great because of the dependability and "positive feedback." That's BS! Put them together and you have a bicycle that shifts like an 18 wheeler.

I apologize for the rant.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.