Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Flu shot

Old 09-20-22, 11:33 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Flu shot

Got mine this morning. Free, no wait at all. I recommend it.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-20-22, 12:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I did mine a week ago. NOT FREE. About $50 or so.

I still need to get the COVID shot. The new Omicron booster should be available, but they said I needed an appointment.
Old 09-20-22, 04:25 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Will be getting flu and current Omicron variant shot about 2 wks.out. I always get a flu shot--had it so bad when 16 yrs old (or maybe 17) that if you touched a hair on my head, it felt like you hit me with a hammer. Not exaggerating.
Old 09-20-22, 04:54 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I'm getting my yearly flu shot this Saturday morning. I need to schedule the COVID/Omicron shot.
Old 09-20-22, 05:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I got both at the same time a week ago. It took a few days for all the microchips to get settled in.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-20-22, 07:31 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I got both at the same time a week ago. It took a few days for all the microchips to get settled in.
Have they improved the battery life on the microchips so we don't have to get boosters every few months?
Old 09-20-22, 07:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I got my chip subcutaneous at the vet's. When I wander away from home the cops can scan and find my address.

Have the Omicron booster appt, need to make one for the flu shot too, if they can't just do that one while they're at it.
Old 09-20-22, 07:58 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I got a flu shot today as well. Didn't bother with them for most of my life and have never had a serious flu. But a few years back my wife spent a couple of days in the hospital with a flu that left her unable to breathe,

Now I want to avoid bringing anything home.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 09-21-22, 04:04 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Ditto. Walgreens let me sign up for the shingles vax at the same time (online) but said, "pick two" when I showed up. I guess that stands to reason as I only have two arms. Have to reschedule that. (Oddly enough, my doc told me to get the shingles vaccine outside the office, otherwise Medicare wouldn't reimburse. We have the strangest set of exceptions in our healthcare system...)
Old 09-21-22, 04:06 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I got my chip subcutaneous at the vet's. When I wander away from home the cops can scan and find my address.
You laugh, but I wouldn't be surprised if some entrepreneur starts a business to embed small Tile or Apple chips in people with dementia. Hoo boy...
Old 09-21-22, 05:05 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Have they improved the battery life on the microchips so we don't have to get boosters every few months?
Yes I got the bluetooth versions
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-21-22, 08:07 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Got flu and moderna booster 2 days back, one in each arm. I've never had a reaction to a flu shot (yearly) or a covid vaccine. This time around though, a fever for a day and muscle soreness. Almost over now,contemplating a short ride. Still worthwhile,in my opinion.
Old 09-21-22, 02:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I got a robo-phone call last night at 11:25 PM about a 78 year old man who was last seen in my neighborhood. I was asked to check around our 'house' to see if he was there. We live on the 4th floor of an apartment building, and they asked us to check the building.

The call woke my wife, who generally goes to bed before I do. I'm 78 myself, and I had no interest in putting on clothes at 11:30 at night to check my locked building. Even more, I don't understand why they didn't make the call during the normal day - the guy had been lost for over 24 hours. I guess it just took that much time to get through their list of phone numbers.

So, like, about the microchips. Do you not mind them, or do you just not believe that the vaxes insert them?

Couldn't find the Moderna bi-valent version at a local CVS or Walgreen's. OSco seemed to say they have it but not in an accountable way, IMO. I got the Pfizer version 2 days ago. It's half the Moderna size. I've had a couple of days with flu symptoms from the 4 Moderna shots and very little in the way of side effects on this last jab.

I'll get a flu shot next week at Jewel-Osco - they give out 10% off grocery coupons with the shots.
Old 09-21-22, 05:00 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Have two shingrix, five covids, one flu, one pneumovax, and several holes in my arm, so it seems. No reaction to any, but my wife had a serious reaction to her second shingrix shot.
Old 09-21-22, 06:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
You laugh, but I wouldn't be surprised if some entrepreneur starts a business to embed small Tile or Apple chips in people with dementia. Hoo boy...
I have a nephew with autism and he wears a trackable wristwatch. He can take it off, but he understands he needs to wear it and he likes it. He probably wouldn't wander away, but he could certainly get lost. I'd bet folks with a senile family member have similar tactics.

I've gotten a flu shot every year since I got the flu one year and got sicker than I've ever been - probably 30 years ago. While I was having hot flashes and chills and aches and pains and headaches and eye aches I promised myself to get a flu shot every year and if I would ever think of skipping a year I'd remember how I felt right then and the promise I made to myself. I think I did miss one year when they ran out of vaccine - remember when they had vaccine tourism to Canada? It was that year.

I told a friend at work that he should get a shot and he said "Hey, I had malaria - now THAT'S sick. If I get the flu I'll just take a few days off and sleep". Well he got the flu that year and said it was worse than malaria, and apologized for not believing me.

So -
Flu - check * many years
Covid - two dose, plus two boosters, another soon.
Shingles - that old one, and the newer two-dose Shingrex
Tetanus and other stuff as doctor recommends.
Microchip? That's the least of my worries.

I've never had the pneumonia shot - I ask and they say I don't need it.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-25-22, 08:02 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Spouse and I both scheduled for Covid booster and flu tomorrow. Woo-hoo! No significant reaction to previous Covid jabs - can’t recall problems with any flu shots which have had annually for many years - required by hospital system I worked for. Pretty sure I had flu in the early 70’s and felt very crappy. That memory serves as a motivator.
Still have smallpox vaccine scar on my arm from long ago.
Old 09-25-22, 08:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
We get flu shots at work every year and I always get them at that opportunity. Interesting thing is interest in them where I work has waned due to people thinking that they are sneaking a COVID vaccine in on them. I'm going to the doctor this week to get the ticker checked out as I'm having faintness and dizziness during runs when my heart rate gets above 160. This is something that has occurred since I had COVID in early August so I hope it is something temporary from that.. I'm sure my doctor will hook me up with a flu shot while I'm there. I'm also going to see about trying to get my COVID boosters because I let that get behind and given how it has impacted my running and cycling,

And for the obligatory vaccine joke running in the thread... I wear tinfoil underwear to block the chip from letting "The man" know my comings and goings.

Old 09-25-22, 09:28 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Friend have gotten rocked by the new bivalent vaxx.
Don't make plans the next day
Old 09-25-22, 10:18 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Friend have gotten rocked by the new bivalent vaxx.
Don't make plans the next day
It didn't do anything other than make my upper arm very slightly sore.

Is my first-hand (or left-arm) anecdotal evidence any less compelling than a second-hand report of someone else's anecdotal evidence? How do we know the third cousin of some guy that I heard of isn't prone to psychosomatic over-reaction?
Old 09-25-22, 10:22 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
any chance you got one in each arm? I may do that since I occasionally sleep on my side and I will usually have one shoulder in contact with my tin foil lined bed
Old 09-25-22, 10:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
any chance you got one in each arm? I may do that since I occasionally sleep on my side and I will usually have one shoulder in contact with my tin foil lined bed
I got both on the left side, so I could confuse it with heart attack symptoms.

(I, too, am a side-sleeper, so I feel your pain.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-25-22, 11:19 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I held off on my 2nd COVID booster 'till mid August so I'd be at my most immune for last week's Cycle Oregon with a 1000 other riders in not-very-vaccinated central Oregon. Early August my housemate got COVID. I stayed infection-free, testing every two days. After I got my second, the word came out that the OMICRON booster would be available but not in time to cover me for CO.

October 18th will be 2 months and I'll be signing up for that OMICRON shot. Thanks, OP for the flu shot reminder. I need to do that too. (Got the flue '17. Not all that bad as influenza goes, but it affected my cycling that year like a bad crash with ongoing complications. Flu was in February. I was still paying on the bike in August.)
Old 09-25-22, 11:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Got flu and moderna booster 2 days back, one in each arm. I've never had a reaction to a flu shot (yearly) or a covid vaccine. This time around though, a fever for a day and muscle soreness. Almost over now,contemplating a short ride. Still worthwhile,in my opinion.
Exactly the same here, except I got the Pfizer, the Moderna being in short supply here. Felt like going back to bed, except that I couldn't sleep most of the night anyway. Today is the next day and I feel fine, going for a ride.
Old 09-25-22, 11:44 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Last year I got my flu and 1st booster at the same time. Won't do that again! Next day wasn't fun.
Old 09-25-22, 05:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I got my bivalent booster (Pfizer) last Monday. No side effects at all. The injection site was sore for a couple hours, but after that, nothing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.