Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The braking system of a bicycle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The braking system of a bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 08:25 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And coaster brakes. And rod-actuated rim and spoon brakes.
And roller brakes.

Originally Posted by hazetguy
i find the most efficient way of braking is to jam the shaft of a golf club in between the spokes and letting it hit the frame as the wheel rotates. works EVERY TIME!
But how do you carry a golf club on your bike? Specially if your ride includes some curb jumping.
Old 09-24-22, 10:45 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
There is a further classification, which applies to all disc brake types:
1. Quick-release axles.
2. Thru-axles.

The quick-release axle (QR) is not designed for disc brakes. The system itself forces the rotor out of alignment with the caliper.
The thru-axle locks the rotor in place so that the caliper will always be aligned with it.

Because the QR-based system is cheap, the disc brake can be used as a selling point on the unsuspecting buyer. Soon, all of those cheap bicycles that come standard with a suspension fork will also come standard with QR-disc brakes.

I'd rather have rim brakes than even the "best" QR-disc.
Old 09-28-22, 02:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
There's also cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes, where the entire hydraulic system is contained within the brake caliper. Get many of the benefits of hydraulic brakes with the ease of setup of cable actuated brakes.
I'm not seeing any benefits in that particular hybrid concept to be honest. One of the nice things about hydraulic brakes is the deletion of cables. Hydraulic brake circuits have been proven for many decades in automotive use without the need for additional cables. So I expect these oddities will die off pretty soon.
Old 09-28-22, 03:15 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
And air brakes and electric brakes, but I doubt anyone has ever adopted either of them to a bicycle...
Now you've done it. The mere mention of such things can spawn a "kick starter" campaign.
Old 09-29-22, 05:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm not seeing any benefits in that particular hybrid concept to be honest. One of the nice things about hydraulic brakes is the deletion of cables. Hydraulic brake circuits have been proven for many decades in automotive use without the need for additional cables. So I expect these oddities will die off pretty soon.

Yeah, these hybrid arrangements are usually excellent at maximizing the disadvantages of both systems.
Old 09-29-22, 06:13 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
this guy knows the fastest way to stop a bike

Old 09-29-22, 07:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I thought CheGiantForLife was banned?
Old 09-30-22, 05:04 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ease of setup - nobody's going to argue that a hydraulic system is easier to set up than a cable system
No system bleeding required, but you still get the self adjustment advantages inherent in a hydraulic system
No need to use hydraulic specific brake levers.
Old 09-30-22, 05:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
Ease of setup - nobody's going to argue that a hydraulic system is easier to set up than a cable system
No system bleeding required, but you still get the self adjustment advantages inherent in a hydraulic system
No need to use hydraulic specific brake levers.
Sounds awesome lol